Can someone please explain to me?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Don Keydick » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:13 am

WTF is this "expected goals" crap? We get bombarded these days with stats during games, but I started supporting City we may walk down Sloper Road wondering if we could score 2 or 3 today. Not 0.8 of a goal. Anyone help.
Don Keydick

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Can someone please explain to me?

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:17 am

Don Keydick wrote:WTF is this "expected goals" crap? We get bombarded these days with stats during games, but I started supporting City we may walk down Sloper Road wondering if we could score 2 or 3 today. Not 0.8 of a goal. Anyone help.

Probably a load of bollocks to encourage people to bet on how many goals team scores?
pembroke allan

Postby Paul Keevil » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:47 am

Its something that is used by Fantasy Football and general soccer staticians who provide data to football clubs

Your right though - It is a load of bollux

I have looked through the Rothmans Yearbook and I cant seem to find the last time we beat the Swans 0.8-v-0.5
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby Sven » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:26 pm

We once lost the old Division One (now Premier League) title by 0.02 of a goal... ;) :cry:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:36 pm

Sven wrote:We once lost the old Division One (now Premier League) title by 0.02 of a goal... ;) :cry:

Or put another way if we had scored 1 more goal or conceded 1 less goal we would have been champions! :mrgreen:
pembroke allan

Postby Sven » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:We once lost the old Division One (now Premier League) title by 0.02 of a goal... ;) :cry:

Or put another way if we had scored 1 more goal or conceded 1 less goal we would have been champions! :mrgreen:

Indeed; but the above ties in with the OP's question :thumbup:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby JJ1927 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:55 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

And oddly if during the season we had drawn a game 0-0 rather than 2-2 we would have been champions!

Goal average had very strange consequences. Under the current system we would have won the title
JJ1927

Postby Wayne S » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:32 pm

Although it is a bit subjective, in our situation at the moment it is quite a decent stat.

1 xG is the standard, so every decent chance is turned into a goal. When it goes over 1 then a team is scoring goals from more difficult situations.

Likewise if it is below 1 then a team are not even converting easier chances.

I think they also throw in something to do with attempts on and off target as well.

See, I dont know either :lol:

All I know is that ours is very low at the moment and it is down to lack of decent chances created and shots taken.

More delivery and better strikers please but then we all knew that.
Wayne S

Postby Don Keydick » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, it's as clear as mud now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don Keydick

Postby Sven » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:11 pm

Wayne S wrote:Although it is a bit subjective, in our situation at the moment it is quite a decent stat.

1 xG is the standard, so every decent chance is turned into a goal. When it goes over 1 then a team is scoring goals from more difficult situations.

Likewise if it is below 1 then a team are not even converting easier chances.

I think they also throw in something to do with attempts on and off target as well.

See, I dont know either :lol:

All I know is that ours is very low at the moment and it is down to lack of decent chances created and shots taken.

More delivery and better strikers please but then we all knew that.

:thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Sven

Postby NIBluebird » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:06 am

It's basically a formula based on previous form combined with attacks , dangerous attacks and goal attempts
NIBluebird

Postby Wayne S » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:59 pm

Well we turned that around.

EFL Championship xG Top Teams.

1 Cardiff City 2.6 #CardiffCity
2 Wigan Athletic 2.3 #WAFC
3 QPR 2.2 #QPR
4 Stoke City 2.1 #SCFC
5 we Millwall 1.9 #Millwall
5 Hull City 1.9 #HCAFC
7 Sunderland 1.8 #SAFC