Win Trophies in a poorer league or compete with better teams

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby CardiffCityFan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:21 pm

Which would you prefer? As a Cardiff fan I do wonder in a different universe. If Cardiff and Swansea played in the Welsh league would it make the fans any happier winning trophies? Being like Celtic or Rangers or compete with better teams in a better league but win nothing.
Thoughts?
CardiffCityFan

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Win Trophies in a poorer league or compete with better t

Postby Sven » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:37 am

No brainer for me; every club/team/supporter should aspire to play at the highest level they can

If not, what is the point...?

Personally, I never watch 'friendlies' pre/post or mid season, as I just can't get excited for them, if there is no competitive edge

The nearest exception is for testimonial games where I will buy a ticket for the right player/reason but I don't turn up tp watch the otherwise meaningless game

City v Spurs finished me off many years ago, when we were 'promised' Gazza, Lineker, Clemence and others and we got a makeshift team with the only known 'star' being ex-Man City and England man, Paul Stewart (who, to be fair, had a great game and tore us a new one)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby CardiffCityFan » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:05 am

In an alternative world..

What if we also brought over some big towns on the border who have regularly entered the Welsh Cup in the past and have even been part of Wales at some point in history.

Cardiff

Swansea

Wrexham

Newport

Shrewsbury

Chester

Hereford

What would fans think about this league, would the English sides be against it?

To note sadly the old Chester City were rejected from entry into the Welsh system which seems unfair to me.
CardiffCityFan

Postby welshrarebit » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:37 pm

English league for me.

Firstly. No guarantees we woikd be winning anything. We have the team we have because we have the league we are in and the owner we have.

We get 20k plus crowds because of who we play not just because we are Cardiff.

If people came because we were Cardiff we woikd have the premier league attendances.

I don’t think connahs quay nomads have the draw of Rotherham let alone the Watfords and Burnley’s.
welshrarebit

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:44 pm

CardiffCityFan wrote:Which would you prefer? As a Cardiff fan I do wonder in a different universe. If Cardiff and Swansea played in the Welsh league would it make the fans any happier winning trophies? Being like Celtic or Rangers or compete with better teams in a better league but win nothing.
Thoughts?

An away day to Bala doesn't really do it for me :bluebird:
1980s Bluebird

Postby Jock » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:11 pm

I think crowds would plummet
Jock

Return to General Chat