Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ YESTERDAYS MATCH! ‘

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:26 am

I'll start by saying that yesterdays match was one of the best I have seen for many years. The first half was unbelievable and if not for Ruddys performance we would have been three or four up before half time
( Shades of Bentford with out the goals :lol: )

We were pinging the ball about with confidence, and although the second half was not so good, with the temperature in the stadium being in the 30's I am not surprised we eased off.
It is hard to pick out a Mom performance as there were many to choose from, but I go with O'dowda, what a player attacking and defending, he was beating his man with ease and getting great crosses in, Bristols loss is our gain. He will come up against better defenders, but the way he is playing many defenders are going to stuggle against him.

Considering apart from Etete these players are all free's, what Morison has done with his scouting team seems to be on the button. I know it is early days yet but the more they play together the better they are going to be.
We still need these two strikers coming in as I feel that an exprienced striker would have got two goals yesterday, fingers crossed it is all going to plan.

I love the style we are starting to play and it bodes well for the future.
Its a shame that kipre cannot play against Wba. When was the last time, if ever we saw a centre half attacking like a midfielder? Going to be a hard game but I am more optomistic than ever that we will do well there on wednesday.

Regarding Watters I thought that now he has better players around him that when he makes runs they are finding the pass for him, but what I will say is that the one on one yesterday would have ended up with a goal had an experienced striker been there in that position.

WBA I am going for a draw at the very least, my prediction is wba 1 City 2. :ayatollah:

PS we should have had a penalty yesterday theirs was not a penalty :lol:

Re: ‘ YESTERDAYS MATCH! ‘

Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:08 am

I’m sure watters will come good he needs time just a shame he didn’t put that chance it could have changed everything for him

Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 am

Watters has had chances (and missed them). We can I’ll afford more wastefulness v wba and Bristol or we will play well but lose

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:11 am

Igovernor wrote:I'll start by saying that yesterdays match was one of the best I have seen for many years. The first half was unbelievable and if not for Ruddys performance we would have been three or four up before half time

We were pinging the ball about with confidence, and although the second half was not so good, with the temperature in the stadium being in the 30's I am not surprised we eased off.
It is hard to pick out a Mom performance as there were many to choose from, but I go with O'dowda, what a player attacking and defending, he was beating his man with ease and getting great crosses in, Bristols loss is our gain. He will come up against better defenders, but the way he is playing many defenders are going to stuggle against him.

Considering apart from Etete these players are all free's, what Morison has done with his scouting team seems to be on the button. I know it is early days yet but the more they play together the better they are going to be.
We still need these two strikers coming in as I feel that an exprienced striker would have got two goals yesterday, fingers crossed it is all going to plan.

Its a shame that kipre cannot play against Wba. When was the last time, if ever we saw a centre half attacking like a midfielder? Going to be a hard game but I am more optomistic than ever that we will do well there on wednesday.

Regarding Watters I thought that now he has better players around him that when he makes runs they are finding the pass for him, but what I will say is that the one on one yesterday would have ended up with a goal had an experienced striker been there in that position.

WBA I am going for a draw at the very least, my prediction is wba 1 City 2. :ayatollah:

My sentiments exactly Roger , apart from the fact that I think theirs just might have been a pen too.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:45 am

Best half I’ve ever seen us play.. sometimes the 82-83 side could play, also the 92-93 side, but this was different.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:23 am

Igovernor wrote:I'll start by saying that yesterdays match was one of the best I have seen for many years. The first half was unbelievable and if not for Ruddys performance we would have been three or four up before half time

Rog,

Spot on your assessment of the game :ayatollah:

The first half was far more than I expected and I’m looking forward to WBA and Bristol. I will go for a 1-0 to us against WBA :bluescarf:

I don’t agree with a few posters Watters will come good and he was in the right position most of the time just needs a goal.

I don’t think theirs was a pen, both players side by side. Ours was a pen as our player was in front of their player so def a pen.

There were a few who could have been man of the match winners and it’s great to see so many taking their chances. :bluebird:

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:25 pm

Nice not to be bored watching city. .... as for the one on one fine margins if he lifted ball 3 inches higher it goes over ruddys leg and into net. Mustnt forget etete missed simple chance and o'dowda missed a similar chance to one watters did during game... but that's football fine margins

Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:39 pm

I said to someone at halftime that the first half performance was like the good times of the DJ era and huge credit needs to go to SM his staff and of course the players. I have no doubt there is a player in Max Watters and he is looking better playing with better players in a system that suits him, BUT, boy does he need a goal. No striker scores with every effort on goal but he had 3 clear chances in the first half and failed to score. Actually the worst one for me was the last chance when set up by O'Dowda because he was 12 yards out with Ruddy, who saved his two other chances, rooted to his line and somehow Watters fell over it was a dreadful miss.

But overall loads of massive positives from the game which suggests to me we will be a top half club this season BUT get and experienced Championship striker in and anything is possible.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:01 pm

I can live with Watters not scoring if we can always play like that first half. :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:03 pm

Against a better side Watters wastefulness would have cost us at least a point despite us playing the best we have in some time. So I do not accept that he should be let off the hook and I doubt Morison was so forgiving behind closed doors. Illness… yeah right

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:21 pm

Etete despite the miss looks a handful and should start on Wed. Max has had chances and missed them...maybe another loan for him until Jan. Need a proven goal scorer and if so I am excited of this squad capabilities

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:22 pm

Great assessment from the op.

Exactly how I saw it and I also said to a few people it was the best game I have watched from City for years.

The only negative was Watters poor play. I don’t want to see him again personally but at the moment we have little choice.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:35 pm

Something_Blue wrote:Against a better side Watters wastefulness would have cost us at least a point despite us playing the best we have in some time. So I do not accept that he should be let off the hook and I doubt Morison was so forgiving behind closed doors. Illness… yeah right

We get it, you don't rate watters. Let it go and just enjoy yesterday's performance and result.

Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:07 am

Fantastic performance, I thoroughly enjoyed it, on another day we win four nil, Watters, ODowda and Etete take those chances, can't wat for the next two games :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:07 pm

Bluebina wrote:Fantastic performance, I thoroughly enjoyed it, on another day we win four nil, Watters, ODowda and Etete take those chances, can't wat for the next two games :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:thumbup: