Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

prawn sandwich anyone!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:33 am

what has happened to our support at home its gone,on its it day ninnian park was a bear pit when it was rocking this stadium is about as intimidating as a day out at tesco,s.I think the day of teams fearing coming to cardiff have well and truely gone and its a shame as it used to give us an edge something to be poud of, loud and proud we used to be,r.i.p ninnian park i well and truely miss you after yesterday. :( :(

Re: prawn sandwich anyone!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:56 am

Basically the authorities have won the day regarding the atmosphere.

I think you have to look at the history of our club over the last 30 years. Most of that time we have spent it in the dungeon leagues with the diehard supporter following us. Thats where our atmosphere thrived. the last 10 years we have risen from the ashes and are now knocking on heavens door, that is the premier. This has resulted in our fan base increasing to such a degree that now the old fashion diehard is outnumbers by the "new" fan who are being tagged with the Prawn Sandwich" title.
This is why we are struggling with an atmosphere.

I'm not too sure where yo usit but in the Ninian stand its very much like a prawn sandwich brigade. There are the few diehards like Annis and Dibs trying to do something about it but they are up against the new breed of follower. Adding to that I would also say a fair few who sit there have been following City for a long time but have never been vocal in there support. So to create the Grandstand A at Ninian E23 will require a relocation of the diehards from all over CCS to there. I cant see that happening.

Even so I dont think its a loss cause. The Canton stand seems to provide a reasonable atmosphere and there is something we can build on. Perhaps an effort from us diehards who are not in the Canton to relocate there could change things. I think that is the best way to go because I cant see the club allowing a Grandstand A in E23.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:12 am

some people would argue that ninian was like a morgue at times
however in the 80's we used to create a atmosphre with 6000
23000 attendance and being out sung by the away fans !!!!!the "SIT DOWN" brigade have won :(

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:16 am

beaky wrote:what has happened to our support at home its gone,on its it day ninnian park was a bear pit when it was rocking this stadium is about as intimidating as a day out at tesco,s.I think the day of teams fearing coming to cardiff have well and truely gone and its a shame as it used to give us an edge something to be poud of, loud and proud we used to be,r.i.p ninnian park i well and truely miss you after yesterday. :( :(

I hate the new stadium its shit, though we can get a good atmosphere there Jacks and play off game last season proved that

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:23 am

NinianParkWasMyWife wrote:
beaky wrote:what has happened to our support at home its gone,on its it day ninnian park was a bear pit when it was rocking this stadium is about as intimidating as a day out at tesco,s.I think the day of teams fearing coming to cardiff have well and truely gone and its a shame as it used to give us an edge something to be poud of, loud and proud we used to be,r.i.p ninnian park i well and truely miss you after yesterday. :( :(

I hate the new stadium its shit, though we can get a good atmosphere there Jacks and play off game last season proved that

i totally agree with you
i dread to think what it would be like there if we hit hard time again

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:54 am

I've got be honest we all new we had to move on and it never really bothered me that much,but yesterday just reminded me how eletric ninian used to be,i've seen my fair share of games there with no atmosphere believe me tuesday nights 1800 etc souless dont get me wrong but on its day awsome, and i always thought when we were fighting relegation it was even better people would sing their hearts out and visiting teams players in front of the bob bank would have a nightmare with 3/4 thousand playing f**k with them.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 am

Re: ATMOSPHERE WAS CRAP
by Forever Blue ยป Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 am

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
blue nile wrote:
The problem is we have a lot of new fans, who seem more interested in eating food than watching and getting behind the team. It is worrying, cause the Atmosphere yesterday was very poor !

They ARE PATHETIC, NOT FANS AT ALL.

I understand it's all about opinions but that is unbelieveable, perhaps we need a protest march against all these pathetic none fans.

Sorry But I feel that people should cheer their team on and To Be honest if everyone just Sat there for 90 mins every game and that is the Future, then I would rather not go.

HOW IS IT UNBELIEVABLE, I FELL IN LOVE WITH CARDIFF CITY BECAUSE OFF OUR GREAT FANS :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:05 am

MAESTEG BLUE wrote:the "SIT DOWN" brigade have won :(

Who are the sit down brigade?

Where I sit in E23 I would say most of us would like to stand. We are not given that option due to the stewarding who are under orders to keep it seating. Personally I feel this is a major factor in creating the crap atmosphere that we are suffering today.

The sit down brigade are those who run the club. They have been advised by the authorites, that is the police, that a sitting down group will create a less violent scenario than a standing up one. Its a valid point without doubt but like most ideas they come with a downside. We know the downside a crap atmosphere but that does not bother the top knobs who most likely live in another world like corporate seating.

We were spoilt at NP because on one side of the away stand we had the Grangend and on the other the Grandstand A. The club have gone out of their way to make sure that setup does not happen again. By putting the family stand next ot the away support has sorted half the problem out withiut any effort. The other half of the problem they are enforcing a sitting policy which has the intention o fmoving the more vocal away from the away fans. Thats the way it is and that will frustrates the likes of us who were proud of the atmosphere we created.

As I said before not all is lost at the moment. There is always a way. My own opinion is to start again in the Canton stand with the hope that this will spread into the Ninian area. If there is any other way feasable then lets hear it. However what any way happens still requires effort or leadership for it to happen.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:20 am

Listened to it on Cardiff City Live, and for 90% of the game all I could hear was Millwall... Was frustrating to be honest, but the game sounding sooooo boring didnt help either! I was actually just dropping off when the second goal went in !

From what I made of it Millwall fans were given something to sing about... We have got to boost our squad with some loan signings IMO !!!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:22 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
MAESTEG BLUE wrote:the "SIT DOWN" brigade have won :(

Who are the sit down brigade?

Where I sit in E23 I would say most of us would like to stand. We are not given that option due to the stewarding who are under orders to keep it seating. Personally I feel this is a major factor in creating the crap atmosphere that we are suffering today.

The sit down brigade are those who run the club. They have been advised by the authorites, that is the police, that a sitting down group will create a less violent scenario than a standing up one. Its a valid point without doubt but like most ideas they come with a downside. We know the downside a crap atmosphere but that does not bother the top knobs who most likely live in another world like corporate seating.

We were spoilt at NP because on one side of the away stand we had the Grangend and on the other the Grandstand A. The club have gone out of their way to make sure that setup does not happen again. By putting the family stand next ot the away support has sorted half the problem out withiut any effort. The other half of the problem they are enforcing a sitting policy which has the intention o fmoving the more vocal away from the away fans. Thats the way it is and that will frustrates the likes of us who were proud of the atmosphere we created.

As I said before not all is lost at the moment. There is always a way. My own opinion is to start again in the Canton stand with the hope that this will spread into the Ninian area. If there is any other way feasable then lets hear it. However what any way happens still requires effort or leadership for it to happen.

ian there are many of our own fans are the sit down brigade
i think since the move to the ccs the lads who used to create the noise in the grange and a block in ninian park are are not all gathered together in the new ground and mixed in with our less vocal fans.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:32 am

Western Blue wrote:Listened to it on Cardiff City Live, and for 90% of the game all I could hear was Millwall... Was frustrating to be honest, but the game sounding sooooo boring didnt help either! I was actually just dropping off when the second goal went in !

From what I made of it Millwall fans were given something to sing about... We have got to boost our squad with some loan signings IMO !!!

They well and Truelly OUT SUNG US :cry:

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Do the benefits outweigh the negatives?

All this seasons crowds would not have fitted in Ninian Park so THAT is a very big benefit, if it is at the expense of most of our Ninian 'Bear Pit' atmosphere then so be it.

I doubt we can blame the 'new' fans, it's more likely that many of the 'singers' from Ninian Park have settled into a more sdate watch. :old:

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:15 pm

I follow football for the whole show. A few beers before, meet up, singing, banter and the football. I would love City in the premier, but at what cost. My club died a death yesterday, it saddened me. But hey, I will not let it stop me, its my club and I will continue to sing and stand until the prawns turn bad. We are city and we don't care.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

For once I believe a protest march would definitely fail.

Direct action is required. EVERYONE standing up in protest for say, the first
ten minutes of a forthcoming game. Then the first ten minutes after half time
It worked for Man United. If they go to throw someone out, then everyone around
them make sure their standing too, the stewards will be fucked. The downside
would be that a few supporters would be targetted, recieve letters and get
their season tickets taken off them (as happened at Man U).... Sad to say,
pictures of people standing in the posh seats would have to be taken and used
in any appeal. Pictures of people standing un-accosted by stewards in the Canton
would also be pretty damning evidence against the Clubs hypocracy.

The ABSOLUTE FACTS are:

A ban on standing because of 'safety issues' is an outright lie. If it was a Health
and Safety issue the Club would not have been able to turn round and say that it
would be ok to stand in the Canton Stand. Thats just ludicrous. Its being done to
'combat rowdiness'... there are thousands of City fans who stand, shout and swear
who have never thrown a punch in their lives. The ground is safe.

This is far more important than it seems. The 'Sit Down' brigade never used to sit
in the old Bob Bank. Without complaints from supporters there would be no issue.
If its not addressed soon, the Stewards and the Club will just keep cranking up the
pressure until the ground becomes a library

A compromise might be to make the half of the Ninian closest to the Canton a 'standing
zone'. You'll find a lot of the 'non standing' fans soon get pissed off at that too. Because
they will be closest to the away fans and the only atmosphere they'll ever hear is generated
by the opposition supporters. Well tough tittie!!!

If nowts done soon though, it will become the norm.

Right now the club dont need to meet supporters halfway cos they are hiding behind
legislation. Kick up enough of a fuss and TG will ask a simple question:

How many arrests have there been in the Canton Stand as opposed to the Ninian since
the ground opened

Oh right. Practically none.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:21 pm

U can tell u aint been in the new ground long it was like that when we first moved to our new home after bout 3-4 seasons the noise started to come back a bit but both of r new homes will never be like r old ones. f*cking shame really give me ninan park any day

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:03 pm

millwallfc wrote:U can tell u aint been in the new ground long it was like that when we first moved to our new home after bout 3-4 seasons the noise started to come back a bit but both of r new homes will never be like r old ones. f*cking shame really give me ninan park any day

Cheers feller

great support from your lot yesterday ;)

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:09 pm

just benn having a nosey through millwall forum, its embarassing how shit our support was yesturday!