Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Time For Some Positivity

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm not going to lie to you lads. I'm sick and tired of all this negativity and scare mongering. I'm fed up of wondering this and questioning that. 2010 is a new year and I think it's about time we installed some positivity around this club.

Let's face it, we're supporters. We support the team. No matter what is going on off the pitch we need to be the spine of the club. We need to make sure we keep it together. We need to remain calm even in the harshest of storms.

So may I propose we forget the goings on behind the scenes. There will always be bad news to be found at a football club. Some bad news is worse than other bad news but at the end of the day there's nothing we, as supporters, can do about it.

Here I give you some positive things to remember.

- We currently are in our best position to get promoted to the top tier of the league in decades.
- We are 4th in the Championship. Look at the 'stable' teams below us!
- We have the Championship's top goalscorer, Peter Whittingham.
- The have the Championship's most reputable goalscorer, Michael Chopra.
- Our squad is the best we've had in decades.
- The club is in a 28,000 seater stadium with undersoil heating.
- We are at our most appealing to potential buyers or potential investors.
- The big debt of £30m or close to that has been settled and repayment process has been agreed so that is no longer a concern.
- We're panicking about a £2.7m bill owed to the Inland Revenue that will be covered by the season ticket sales and still leave money left for new players... plus if we need any more finances, the inevitable departure of Adam Matthews to Manchester United will fund that requirement.

Seriously lads, we must be really spoilt if we're panicking over our current state. Yes, it's not all perfect but given the predicaments we've been in during the past, I'll quite happily be where we are now. :ayatollah:

Re: Time For Some Positivity

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 pm

can someone tell me why nobody takes into account the wages of the playing and non playing staff at the club when throwing this 3 million for players around.
the wage bill is a reported 1.2 million a month thats where the season ticket and television money is going and why the tax bill is still outstanding.
not negativity just common sense :|

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm

steve davies wrote:can someone tell me why nobody takes into account the wages of the playing and non playing staff at the club when throwing this 3 million for players around.
the wage bill is a reported 1.2 million a month thats where the season ticket and television money is going and why the tax bill is still outstanding.

your right Steve as the club is paying off debts at the same time it is increasing its debt amount, a worrying situation to be in.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Hey lads, I'm just trying to create some positivity around here! :D ;) :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:51 pm

steve davies wrote:can someone tell me why nobody takes into account the wages of the playing and non playing staff at the club when throwing this 3 million for players around.

I agree that all this needs to be taken into account but shouldn't we also take into account the increased income :?: PR stated the break even figure was 18000 each home game but we're averaging just under 22000, surely that means we should be able to cover the known costs such as wages :?:

OK the tax bill maybe outside of that break even figure but the situation re: wages nust surely be covered even if it is higher than we would like :shock:

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:54 pm

:fingers: to positivity

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Zabier wrote:Hey lads, I'm just trying to create some positivity around here! :D ;) :ayatollah:

Top man Zabier :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: feck the negative numptees!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

I agree that all this needs to be taken into account but shouldn't we also take into account the increased income :?: PR stated the break even figure was 18000 each home game but we're averaging just under 22000, surely that means we should be able to cover the known costs such as wages :?:

OK the tax bill maybe outside of that break even figure but the situation re: wages nust surely be covered even if it is higher than we would like :shock:

i think his break even figure budgeted for selling a couple of players for a total of 8 million.
thats the figure we have averaged in the three seasons since he replaced sam and yet the debt has just grown again.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:01 pm

I don't think you can budget for player sales in all honesty what with the risk of injuries, player value fluctuation. It would be the worst manager in the world to budget for things which are so varied.

I'm with piledriver... for the sake of positivity! Yes lads, I am going to annoy you all until you think optimistically! I'm going into my coccoon of positivity now lads! See you soon! :D :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:09 pm

steve davies wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:

i think his break even figure budgeted for selling a couple of players for a total of 8 million.
thats the figure we have averaged in the three seasons since he replaced sam and yet the debt has just grown again.

Maybe, but neither of us know that for certain and the building of the stadium has made the finances less than transparent :lol:

I think we just need to hold steady for now and see what the situation is once/if the HMRC debt is paid and the transfer window progresses.

If the HMRC debt is paid and we bring in 2-3 players then I would suggest the rumours of our imminent demise maybe somewhat premature :lol: That doesn't mean to say that we don't still have problems but it may well give us an opportunity to improve our position both financially (via the Malaysians) and on the pitch (via promotion). Stranger things have happened :lol:

Burnley went up last year, I believe they also offered a "money back if promoted" offer on season tickets. Are they really that much of a bigger club than us nowadays :?:

Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:24 pm

There are all kinds of revenues still to come in.

We have 12 home games which attracts a walk up of around 4,500 per game, sponsorship for those games, 900 Premier Seat subscribers, additional TV revenues, competition prize monies and payments from Compass.

All that probably adds up to far more than the £3m we are going to spend in January.

I'm with Zabier I see the present situation as a temporary blip which will be over very soon.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Good post, Positivity is what we all need come on you blues :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Zabier wrote:I'm not going to lie to you lads. I'm sick and tired of all this negativity and scare mongering. I'm fed up of wondering this and questioning that. 2010 is a new year and I think it's about time we installed some positivity around this club.

Let's face it, we're supporters. We support the team. No matter what is going on off the pitch we need to be the spine of the club. We need to make sure we keep it together. We need to remain calm even in the harshest of storms.

So may I propose we forget the goings on behind the scenes. There will always be bad news to be found at a football club. Some bad news is worse than other bad news but at the end of the day there's nothing we, as supporters, can do about it.

Here I give you some positive things to remember.

- We currently are in our best position to get promoted to the top tier of the league in decades.
- We are 4th in the Championship. Look at the 'stable' teams below us!
- The have the Championship's most reputable goalscorer, Michael Chopra.
- Our squad is the best we've had in decades.
- The club is in a 28,000 seater stadium with undersoil heating.
- We are at our most appealing to potential buyers or potential investors.
- The big debt of £30m or close to that has been settled and repayment process has been agreed so that is no longer a concern.
- We're panicking about a £2.7m bill owed to the Inland Revenue that will be covered by the season ticket sales and still leave money left for new players... plus if we need any more finances, the inevitable departure of Adam Matthews to Manchester United will fund that requirement.

Seriously lads, we must be really spoilt if we're panicking over our current state. Yes, it's not all perfect but given the predicaments we've been in during the past, I'll quite happily be where we are now. :ayatollah:

Zabier Excellent post and it brought a smile to my face and a reminder that we can go up still and hopefully will :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 pm

keep replying to this post so it stays top of the list , show your support :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

The Blues are going up (maybe :D )

Sack

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:28 pm

I wish i could share your enthusiasm, the points you make cant be argued against except the £30 million pound debt being settled, its far from settled, i doubt we have even made a payment yet, and at £80,000 odd a month, its one of the biggets question marks for me

Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Where did the £1.2m a month come from.

That sounds about £200k a month more than i would expect given previous years accounts.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Mower, we are operating with a player wage bill alone of £10m+. Given DJ & PR wages alone are an additional £1.2m (taking PR's wages are £350k per year and not £500k) it is quite likely that the wages of other employees within the club would take it up to the level suggested, maybe beyond.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:24 pm

saladthedragon wrote:Mower, we are operating with a player wage bill alone of £10m+. Given DJ & PR wages alone are an additional £1.2m (taking PR's wages are £350k per year and not £500k) it is quite likely that the wages of other employees within the club would take it up to the level suggested, maybe beyond.

So its a guess .

PRs wages, Jones wages and the players wages were all in the last accounts and included in the costs there.

Other employees may have put it up, or down, changes in playing personnnell make a massive difference.

Its guesswork either way, unless Steve (or someone else who has mentioned the figure- as it has also been posted elsewhere) has access to the current accounts or payroll.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Indeed the personnel changing will influence the wage bill Mower. I should imagine having a fairly established squad in general on the well documented generous wages we pay, exemplified by journeymen such as Capaldi being on a good screw, allied with Chopra on £20k a week and the likes of Hudson on £14k a week, I would suggest it is quite reasonable to surmise that the player wage bill is at least £10m a year as Peter has stated it would be. Given DJ earns £800k & PR £350k at least, that takes it up to what I would suggest is an undisputed figure of at least £11.2m, that's without factoring in a hell of a lot of other company employees, some of which will command significant wages themselves.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:36 pm

saladthedragon wrote:Indeed the personnel changing will influence the wage bill Mower. I should imagine having a fairly established squad in general on the well documented generous wages we pay, exemplified by journeymen such as Capaldi being on a good screw, allied with Chopra on £20k a week and the likes of Hudson on £14k a week, I would suggest it is quite reasonable to surmise that the player wage bill is at least £10m a year as Peter has stated it would be. Given DJ earns £800k & PR £350k at least, that takes it up to what I would suggest is an undisputed figure of at least £11.2m, that's without factoring in a hell of a lot of other company employees, some of which will command significant wages themselves.

Who says chopra is on £20k, Hudson on £14k - someone been leaking the payroll as well ?

That figure is NOT undisputed, its a guess and based on those 2 players wages also being guesses.

Not ONE poster on here or any other messageboard knows the correct figure for the wage bill, unless they work for the club and are breaking their rules of employment.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:42 pm

The figure is predominantly based on a combination of historic player wage budgets and Peter stating that the player wage bill alone would be £10m this season. As we know, given Peter's financial control, that figure is likely to be higher if anything. The wages of PR & DJ are not disputed, so I would suggest that the figures provided are probably slightly conservative.

Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 pm

- We currently are in our best position to get promoted to the top tier of the league in decades. - Last season we were 1st.
- We are 4th in the Championship. Look at the 'stable' teams below us! - We should be second.
- The have the Championship's most reputable goalscorer, Michael Chopra. - on who's account? 12 games without a goal is hardly a reputation to be proud of?
- Our squad is the best we've had in decades. Says Dave Jones, NOT the fans.
- The club is in a 28,000 seater stadium with undersoil heating. 27,000 with a forgotten about system now plugged in at even more cost to the club.
- We are at our most appealing to potential buyers or potential investors. - Really, last i heard we were riddled (pardon the pun!) in debt - Literaly!
- We're panicking about a £2.7m bill owed to the Inland Revenue that will be covered by the season ticket sales and still leave money left for new players... plus if we need any more finances, the inevitable departure of Adam Matthews to Manchester United will fund that requirement. - - None of our debts have been settled!! The £3m pound from season ticket sales was PROMISED by ridsdale that it would ALL be spent on new players!!! ALL OF IT!

Adam Matthews is not a Man Utd player and there is no evidence that says he will be in the near future? Who says Ferguson won't pull out of any deal even if there is one?

Sorry to burst your bubble! :lol: