Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ninian Park

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:48 pm

The memories will stay with me forever, the very first game in 1976 when we played Preston and lost 2-0. But i was still hooked.
A couple of years later we played England we lost 1-0 but the main thing i remember was the fighting in the corner of the Bob and Grange.

In the early eighties when i started going by myself was awsome times, we were only getting 7 odd thousand but still it was an amazing experience.The game against Chelsea 83/84 when we drew 3-3 was the most intense game i had been to which was more remembered for the violence than the comeback from Chelsea, the worst i have ever witnessed at the City. The game against Scotland in 87 i think, the night Jock Stein died!! was immense 40.000 fans in there and the atmosphere was beyond anything i had ever been in before.

The Cup game against Man City was incredible and then the game against Leeds was an atmosphere none of us had been in before and haven't since, If Leeds are honest they must admit that to.

And there were the really bad times when we had between 2000 & 4000 at Ninian and it was a morgue, sadly this was a large part of our time at Ninian, And who can forget the last match at Ninian Park that goes down as the saddest day watching football not just because it was the last game ever there but because the stadium was disrespected by our players and management that day.

But as a sum up we had incredible times there and there was bad times, times we had crap atmospheres, times when we were out sung and times the opposition fans were terrified to step inside, And even now Bristol City fans and Millwall have said it wasn't right that they come to Cardiff and that atmosphere had gone.
Our games against the Jacks were legendary and the game against Aldershot will be remembered by many.

But Ninian park has gone and will never come back, we are left with our memories but we have to let the ground go. We cant move forward unless we do, The CCS is our new ground now and its up to us to turn it into a fearsome place, because at the end of the day the same supporters who went to Ninian Park now go to the CCS. We can have a good atmosphere there and one thing it needs is history !! The games against the Jacks and the Leicester was awsome and we know the atmosphere can be turned around but unless we all stop wishing we were back at NP then it will never happen. This is our future and we need to stop making excuses for our lack of atmosphere, we perhaps need to convince the Malaysians that the family stand needs to go back to the Canton.