Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

why do cardiff hate the english so much ?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 pm

why do cardiff hate the english so much ? i m a bolton season ticket holder who a few years ago met some cardiff lads abroad and ever since cardiff have been my 2nd team and when they play up in the north of england i get to as many games as poss , meetin up with the same lads .one thing that i find strange is the amount of abuse aimed at the english which surely must affect your english players,particularly when singin anti english songs during games.i travel to every england away game and meet up with many lads from diff clubs and are all of the same opinion that the english def DO NOT hate the welsh.so come on bluebirds let me know whats the reasons for so much hatred :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Re: why do cardiff hate the english so much ?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Very Good Question Tony, It will be Very interesting to read some of the replies :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:47 pm

where the f**k do i start :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:55 pm

simple....history going back hundreds of years with many reasons to and its not just us who hate them along with the irish and scots and most other countries also because of there sheer arrogance that there better than everyone else,and we wont get started on there "world class football team".

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:55 pm

milly44 wrote:where the f**k do i start :lol:

Easy Milly, ask the question back, why do the English hate the Welsh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's football, it's tribal. They are our nearest rivals.
Besides, most other country football fans hate the English too!. (Scottish, Irish, Germans Dutch, need I go on?) :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm English, and I hate England!! :lol: :lol:

It's not that I hate the English, it's England supporters I think. They are like a different breed! :lol: (It's the arrogance and the devine right that they think they have to win every game and competition. I really don't need to hear about 1966 again either!)

And you can't tell me that when England play Wales, they won't start singing anti-Welsh songs.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:01 pm

possibly a few reasons to through into the hat , historically there have been centuries of warfare between the two countries, LLwellyn the great , owain glyndwr etc battled for an independent wales. We have our own language which makes us distinct from you guys, but due to surpession with the welsh knot and other acts passed by parliment and indeed during the medieval days tried to surpress the welsh nation, the english media and broadcasting act as if Wales does not exist, we beat the world champions west germany in early nineties for example and we had 1 paragraph in the papers !!! there have been attempts to get the welsh represented on the union jack of which churchill said 'wales has no more right than cornwall to be on there' , we werent allowed kings and queens but had to govern as a principallity unlike scotland, and pay homage to the king and queen of england, etc etc etc I dont think anyone hates the english as such its all banter, but myself and many like me dont feel any need to call ourselves british. :ayatollah: before i forget we also have the 'england' cricket team who are actually the 'england & wales cricket board etc' but only gets refd to as english !!! :roll:
Last edited by Cefnfforestbluebird on Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 pm

its a rivalry in sporting terms.

i have also been brought up in a very proud welsh family.

if england are playing chess, we hope they lose.

they come across sporting wise as very arragont, but with little to be arragont about. the english media dont help there cause.

if england are playing any sport i hope they lose. even cricket because lets face it its an england and wales cricket board, with f**k all wales in it.

dont even get me started on the queen :lol:

(but i do have a few english friends) :lol:

i wouldnt make these points to sam salim or rob ;)

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:02 pm

:lol:

thruthfully, i dont hate people for being English, i just hate England, im Welsh with a Scottish father. it kinda goes with the territory for me. im always reading about the history of Wales and Scotland and the one thing we have in common is being at war with the English. i have many friends who are English. Its not a personal thing its just a history thing for me.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:03 pm

I hate the English because I'm Welsh. It's in my blood. It's pretty much the old Celtic/England divide (Celtic being the Celtic tribe, not the football team).

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:03 pm

my above post is very toned down , and my true feelings are still wanting to come out :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:04 pm

tony r bolton wrote:why do cardiff hate the english so much ? i m a bolton season ticket holder who a few years ago met some cardiff lads abroad and ever since cardiff have been my 2nd team and when they play up in the north of england i get to as many games as poss , meetin up with the same lads .one thing that i find strange is the amount of abuse aimed at the english which surely must affect your english players,particularly when singin anti english songs during games.i travel to every england away game and meet up with many lads from diff clubs and are all of the same opinion that the english def DO NOT hate the welsh.so come on bluebirds let me know whats the reasons for so much hatred :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Historically, The Welsh have fought the English for hundreds of years. We are a proud race with
our own language and culture. The English (establishment) has systematically attacked and tried
to destroy the Welsh language (and national identity) for years!! There will always be differences
between us. But they are not that great. You will very rarely find Welsh lads on holiday that wont
mix with the English (or vice-versa)...because its not people like YOU that tried to wipe 'Welsh'
off the map.

I consider myself Welsh first, last and always. But appreciate that the English and Scots and Irish
are as good as gold really. I have a son in the Royal Marines who also 'hates' England???? But he
doesnt really..... its just talk, its banter. His best mates are English (though I have discouraged
this most strongly!!!) Cardiff City supporters are pretty hateful towards everyone whan we play
them. The English are just the natural 'enemy' (even though they arent really!!")

The Northern English and the Welsh have always got along. Again, historically, Welsh tribes settled
as far North as Scotland and Cumbria.

Southern English (particularly Londoners DO generally dislike the Welsh) they dont really like anyone
who dont bow down to them. They see us as 'upstarts' and ill-educated Commies etc. But thats fine
cos The Welsh generally find cockneys arrogant wankers.

Flip side to the coin.... All English Clubs despise Cardiff City with a passion, believe me!!! We've
seen it everywhere we go. but its football. It gets passionate, sometimes silly.

But I'd sooner have the English as next door neighbors than Pakistanis all day long, you lot are ok really!!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Im proud to be Welsh and over the years out of all ALL sporting rivals to Wales the biggest have to be our neighbours from the other side of Offahs Dyke ................. plus they are cocky and arrogant bastards !

Q. Which team would you rather win against ?

1. England .
2. Scotland .
3. Any other .

Has to be number 1 always !!!!!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Claire wrote:I'm English, and I hate England!! :lol: :lol:

It's not that I hate the English, it's England supporters I think. They are like a different breed! :lol: (It's the arrogance and the devine right that they think they have to win every game and competition. I really don't need to hear about 1966 again either!)

And you can't tell me that when England play Wales, they won't start singing anti-Welsh songs.

To be fair Claire, I dont think its the English supporters. I think they long since
stopped believing they are world beaters. Many English people I know are just
as embarassed by the English press and media and wish they'd shut up too

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 pm

tony r bolton wrote:why do cardiff hate the english so much ? i m a bolton season ticket holder who a few years ago met some cardiff lads abroad and ever since cardiff have been my 2nd team and when they play up in the north of england i get to as many games as poss , meetin up with the same lads .one thing that i find strange is the amount of abuse aimed at the english which surely must affect your english players,particularly when singin anti english songs during games.i travel to every england away game and meet up with many lads from diff clubs and are all of the same opinion that the english def DO NOT hate the welsh.so come on bluebirds let me know whats the reasons for so much hatred :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

It IS a bit stupid , particularly when our first choice side has so few Welshmen in it.

Marshall (Scottish)
McNaughton(Scottish) , Hudson(English) , Gypes(Hungarian) , Naylor(Irish)

Burke(Scottish) , Drinkwater(English) , Olafinjana(Nigerian) ,Whittingham(English) , Bellamy([b]Welsh[b])

Bothroyd(English)

So 4 Englishmen and only 1 Welshman.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:08 pm

taffyapple wrote:

To be fair Claire, I dont think its the English supporters. I think they long since

The English media really don't help the English cause!!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm

have to say claire we can let you off as being english seeing as your the hottest city bird we know !!!!

think its the same both ways, some love, most otyhers dont on both sides, all experiances i have working around britian is that they dont like the welsh, and the ones that do live in wales and hate the english :lol:

as for football is all used for banter

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:possibly a few reasons to through into the hat , historically there have been centuries of warfare between the two countries, LLwellyn the great , owain glyndwr etc battled for an independent wales. We have our own language which makes us distinct from you guys, but due to surpession with the welsh knot and other acts passed by parliment and indeed during the medieval days tried to surpress the welsh nation, the english media and broadcasting act as if Wales does not exist, we beat the world champions west germany in early nineties for example and we had 1 paragraph in the papers !!! there have been attempts to get the welsh represented on the union jack of which churchill said 'wales has no more right than cornwall to be on there' , we werent allowed kings and queens but had to govern as a principallity unlike scotland, and pay homage to the king and queen of england, etc etc etc I dont think anyone hates the english as such its all banter, but myself and many like me dont feel any need to call ourselves british. :ayatollah: before i forget we also have the 'england' cricket team who are actually the 'england & wales cricket board etc' but only gets refd to as english !!! :roll:

Two small points if I may Sir:

Welsh Not (which our English friend is unlikely to have heard of) Turn of the last century
Welsh schoolchildren were forced to wear wooden collars around their necks for speaking their
native tongue. The initials 'WN' were inscribed in these collars. My grandfather had to wear one
once. His parents never sent any of their children to an 'English' school again.

Secondly, Wales was always a principality. Its just Welsh feudal law. We never had a king, we had
four distinct separate parts of Wales ruled by princes. This was long before England even existed!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:16 pm

Claire wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

the English media make me want to dig out my own eyes with a spoon and drill pencils deep into
my eardrums. Apart from that though, I dont know what you mean :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm

By the way Ton-eh ....

I loved you in Phoenix Nights :lol: :lol: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Its not hatred really. And Bolton totty has got the sexiest accents in Britain

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:19 pm

d20 wrote:have to say claire we can let you off as being english seeing as your the hottest city bird we know !!!!

:lol: :oops: :lol: I consider myself to be Welsh anyway, and I'm actually half Welsh, so it's not all bad :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:20 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Claire wrote:
taffyapple wrote:

the English media make me want to dig out my own eyes with a spoon and drill pencils deep into
my eardrums. Apart from that though, I dont know what you mean :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You clearly have a lot of love for them!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:26 pm

my eardrums. Apart from that though, I dont know what you mean :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: You clearly have a lot of love for them!! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Here's a true story i hope Ton-eh from Bolton gets to read:

A few years back, England were away to Turkey in a final eliminator to see who qualified
for the European Championships the following year.

The Sky Sports commentators words were:

"Here I am outside the Turkish team hotel on the eve of the biggest game in Turkish
football history"

Erm... this was about eight months after Turkey narrowly lost to Brazil in the World Cup
Semi-final!!!!! :lol: :lol:

The English media were so arrogant they thought beating England that night would
mean more to Turkey than getting to the World Cup Final.

If my three wives at the time and eleven kids hadn't sat on top of me I would have kicked
the TV to death that night :lol: :lol: :lol:

But again, you cant blame the English 'people' for that.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Being branded & described as "backwards" & a "sheep shaggers" dosen't help. I've yet to find somebody who has actually done that deed to an animal [although there is always somebody]. For me, our clubs experience during & after our play off final with Blackpool really hit home. The mass, English driven media were totally against us, with very few exceptions. The English don't want us in the Premiership [or Championship], end of!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:40 pm

taffyapple wrote:
Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:possibly a few reasons to through into the hat , historically there have been centuries of warfare between the two countries, LLwellyn the great , owain glyndwr etc battled for an independent wales. We have our own language which makes us distinct from you guys, but due to surpession with the welsh knot and other acts passed by parliment and indeed during the medieval days tried to surpress the welsh nation, the english media and broadcasting act as if Wales does not exist, we beat the world champions west germany in early nineties for example and we had 1 paragraph in the papers !!! there have been attempts to get the welsh represented on the union jack of which churchill said 'wales has no more right than cornwall to be on there' , we werent allowed kings and queens but had to govern as a principallity unlike scotland, and pay homage to the king and queen of england, etc etc etc I dont think anyone hates the english as such its all banter, but myself and many like me dont feel any need to call ourselves british. :ayatollah: before i forget we also have the 'england' cricket team who are actually the 'england & wales cricket board etc' but only gets refd to as english !!! :roll:

Two small points if I may Sir:

Welsh Not (which our English friend is unlikely to have heard of) Turn of the last century
Welsh schoolchildren were forced to wear wooden collars around their necks for speaking their
native tongue. The initials 'WN' were inscribed in these collars. My grandfather had to wear one
once. His parents never sent any of their children to an 'English' school again.

Secondly, Wales was always a principality. Its just Welsh feudal law. We never had a king, we had
four distinct separate parts of Wales ruled by princes. This was long before England even existed!

You may indeed sir, the welsh not or knot is open to interpretation how its spelt many welsh language sites indeed use the 'knot' as it was rope which makes sense, others say 'not' as in not allowed !!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:43 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:Being branded & described as "backwards" & a "sheep shaggers" dosen't help. I've yet to find somebody who has actually done that deed to an animal [although there is always somebody]. For me, our clubs experience during & after our play off final with Blackpool really hit home. The mass, English driven media were totally against us, with very few exceptions. The English don't want us in the Premiership [or Championship], end of!

Names dont bother me!

Barnsley get called 'dingle pikey sheepshaggers'

Ipswich : I cant read, I cant write, but I can droive a tractrrr

But we are definitely seen as the unwelcome outsiders, because we are outsiders!!

And I loves it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:52 pm

taffyapple wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:Being branded & described as "backwards" & a "sheep shaggers" dosen't help. I've yet to find somebody who has actually done that deed to an animal [although there is always somebody]. For me, our clubs experience during & after our play off final with Blackpool really hit home. The mass, English driven media were totally against us, with very few exceptions. The English don't want us in the Premiership [or Championship], end of!

Names dont bother me!

Barnsley get called 'dingle pikey sheepshaggers'

Ipswich : I cant read, I cant write, but I can droive a tractrrr

But we are definitely seen as the unwelcome outsiders, because we are outsiders!!

And I loves it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

So do i, & im not really bothered, except when its on mass,,,& orchestrated by a very biased media. It will be interesting how Wale's as a country fare after the Ryder cup. Another thing is the Welsh are not "outsiders" unlike the English. But thats history for you.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:56 pm

A very large percentage of Cardiff Fans who proclaim to hate England dont realy know why they do so.

Its all a bit 'follow the leader'.

Some people in Wales make it to be some great rivalary but I think what hurts the most is that the English (generaly) dont realy give a fukc about us.

Its all a good bit of banter at the Football because it always 'England Vs Wales' realy isnt it.

Got plenty of English pals, some are good as gold some are wankers, same as all walks of life. :ayatollah:

Im more likely to want to punch a German Flag waving Cardiff Fan waving a German Flag at the time of the anniversary of the Battle of Britain than an English Flag Waving fella from Bolton to be perfectly honest.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:57 pm

EddieEdwards wrote:A very large percentage of Cardiff Fans who proclaim to hate England dont realy know why they do so.

Its all a bit 'follow the leader'.

Some people in Wales make it to be some great rivalary but I think what hurts the most is that the English (generaly) dont realy give a fukc about us.

Its all a good bit of banter at the Football because it always 'England Vs Wales' realy isnt it.

Got plenty of English pals, some are good as gold some are wankers, same as all walks of life. :ayatollah:

Im more likely to want to punch a German Flag waving Cardiff Fan waving a German Flag at the time of the anniversary of the Battle of Britain than an English Flag Waving fella from Bolton to be perfectly honest.

EXCELLENT REPLY :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: