Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: why do cardiff hate the english so much ?

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

The ryder cup is just another big thing happening in Wales. Just like when/if we get promoted. You never know Wales might one day be recognised globally as a nation and not that place in England :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:06 pm

life is too short to hate...... i'm pretty sure we all have english friends, enjoy life, enjoy football and lets hope we get another 3 pts tonight :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:33 pm

I've lived in England for 7 years and I really like the place and the people, I don't think anyone I have come across hates Wales, although as with everywhere you do get some bellends

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't hate the English, I live in London but I love to wind them up with it.

On another note why shouldn't we hate a country that has tried to damage our culture so much - even calling us 'Welsh' which actually means a untrustworthy foreigner, while 'Cymru' comes from fellow counrtymen / comrades.

The word Cymry is believed to be derived from the Brythonic combrogi, meaning fellow-countrymen,[28] and thus Cymru carries a sense of "land of fellow-countrymen", "our country" - and, of course, notions of fraternity. The name "Wales", however, comes from the Germanic walha, a term meaning "stranger" or "foreigner"

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:39 pm

i dont dislike england, far from it but dont mind singing the anti-england songs as a bit of banter.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:58 pm

I have a lot of English mates who I met on holiday one is a Bolton season ticket holder he is a cracking lad but he did say if we were playing each other he would abuse the Welsh like hell but at the same time he doesnt hate the Welsh at all just what football banter is all about.

However when you hear English supporters shouting about that they were all chearing for Blackpool as we should not be in their league is English hating the Welsh.

I do not shout anti english songs as I find it a bit daft as you say some of our players plus our manager is English but it is something whatever we all say that is never going to change between Wales & England or any of the Celts the Irish and Scottish even spannish greeks & German hate the English :lol:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:26 pm

I was called a Welsh c**t in a pub in Portsmouth recently and told we weren't welcome ( I was with my kid ) - it didn't seem like 'banter'

i dont hate england or the english

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:32 pm

tony r bolton wrote:why do cardiff hate the english so much ? i m a bolton season ticket holder who a few years ago met some cardiff lads abroad and ever since cardiff have been my 2nd team and when they play up in the north of england i get to as many games as poss , meetin up with the same lads .one thing that i find strange is the amount of abuse aimed at the english which surely must affect your english players,particularly when singin anti english songs during games.i travel to every england away game and meet up with many lads from diff clubs and are all of the same opinion that the english def DO NOT hate the welsh.so come on bluebirds let me know whats the reasons for so much hatred :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

they are no diferent than us :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 pm

I HAVE TO BE HONEST AND SAY I CRINGE WHEN THEY START SINGING ANTI ENGLISH SONGS!!! AT CCS . I FIND IT CHILDISH AND PATHETIC.
WE HAVE ENGLISH PLAYERS IN OUR TEAM , IT JUST MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL.
I DONT MIND THE BANTER WITH THE OPPOSING FANS , THEY GIVE AS GOOD AS US.
MILLWALL ON SATURDAY WAS A GREAT ATMOSPHERE AND A LOT OF BANTER , SUPERB.

BUT LETS STOP THESE ANTI ENGLISH SONGS FFS , WE ARE IN THEIR LEAGUE, IF WE HATE THEM THAT MUCH SHOULD WE BE PLAYING IN THE ENGLISH PYRAMID SYSTEM? WE ALL KNOW WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO OUR CLUB IF WE DIDNT.

I AM A PROUD WELSHMAN BORN IN ELY CARDIFF, BUT YOU WONT CATCH ME SINGING THOSE STUPID SONGS.

JUST MY OPINION OF COURSE!! :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:07 pm

i dont hate or dislike the english people

i dislike any teams we play and love to sing songs that will wind up their fans. its only sticks and stones

Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:31 pm

I dont dislike the English, I f*cking HATE THEM. And the initial post asked why do cardiff hate the english so much? When it should have read 'Why do the world hate the english so much?' :?: :?: :?: :?:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:29 pm

im english and i love wales.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:51 pm

stan106 wrote:I was called a Welsh c**t in a pub in Portsmouth recently and told we weren't welcome ( I was with my kid ) - it didn't seem like 'banter'

thats sad to hear
problem is you get arseholes everywhere we have plenty in south wales as well

Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:58 pm

i hate them because, they think they are world beaters in every sport, but there shit at every sport,,,,,, the media hypes them up so much, and ex players .that when they fall its so f*cking funny :ayatollah:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm

tony r bolton wrote:why do cardiff hate the english so much ? i m a bolton season ticket holder who a few years ago met some cardiff lads abroad and ever since cardiff have been my 2nd team and when they play up in the north of england i get to as many games as poss , meetin up with the same lads .one thing that i find strange is the amount of abuse aimed at the english which surely must affect your english players,particularly when singin anti english songs during games.i travel to every england away game and meet up with many lads from diff clubs and are all of the same opinion that the english def DO NOT hate the welsh.so come on bluebirds let me know whats the reasons for so much hatred :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Apart from reading the history books, :old: (not good reading if your english) and the total over exposure of english sport and the ignorance of the celtic nations by the 'british' press, my summing up is this.
My missus mother getting a slap as a child every time she spoke welsh her mother tongue because "english is the future" :|

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:24 pm

I dont hate the English either, but I love the banter... when Cardiff plays any English side and also when Germany plays England (4:1 last time btw... :D )...

hatred is the wrong word anyway, imo. I got loads of friends from England, some are very close friends, almost family to me. But I got to admit i love to see England lose because of the arrogance the English media and large parts of the English public have towards everything not-English...

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:34 pm

Anyone who knows me will know that I dont hate England at all, I support them in the World Cup/Euros as a British team.
People say they are aragont about the '66 world cup and '03 rugby world cup but lets be honest wouldn't we be? For a country of Englands size to win a major sporting event like that is unbelievable!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:55 pm

Good question, mate....and I'd like to see some of the answers too.

I don't think (although I might be proven wrong) that the majority of Cardiff supporters truly 'hate' (strong word) the English. It is more likely just a simple 'tool' with which to tease and provoke during a game. One thing that can be said about Cardiff City fans is that they are more than able to see the lighter side of things....often taking the michael out of themselves first (two-nil to the sheep shaggers is always a good example) and applauding those opposition supporters who give back as much as they take (Leicester in the play-off semi-final was a good example).

Traditionally, with notable exceptions such as Swansea, Millwall and Brrrsol City, the real Cardiff supporters have an excellent rapport with other groups of supporters; until kick-off, of course, when all is fair in love and war....

We'll keep a welcome in the hillside for you and yours, mate....

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:59 pm

I don't hate England Love the banter beetween England/Wales Wouldn't take it serious!

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:10 am

I started to read this but then realised you'll ge the usual uneducated dross answer.

the english today have no influence on the english of 800 years ago so hating them for what happened 800 years ago is a bit trivial and daft. Even then, we've been interbreeding since that time so its unlikely that any english or wlesh have not got bits of the other in them since that time.

at no pont during the world cup did any of my manc mates beleive they'd get past the quarter finals, most thought they'd be out of the group stages and thats it. People confuse the ridiculous media bias as testament that the average England fan actually believe they can win the world cup. they don't. its akin to all the Welsh loving rugby because the welsh media says so - well if the media say so it must be true - according to us Welsh when discussing the English anyway.

I've got mates from all over England and none of them hate Wales, none of them think badly of us. It is the Welsh who like to think that the English hate them. they don't.

people need to get out of Wales a bit more and actually talk to a few English people, you'll find they don't have two heads and are actually the same as we are.

now if the OP had asked why do the Welsh hate people from Bolton i'd have a list as long as your arm

:mrgreen:

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:32 am

Personally, I don't hate England. I have heritage from there and have many friends from there. I don't get involved in the anti-English singing unless it's for banter. I think that's the large quantity of it. There's no malice behind it except in the minority and as we know the minority often have the strongest voice.

I certainly don't think there is a big hate culture between Wales and England. If anything it's like a brotherly rivalry. I'd much rather see England win a major tournament than France or Argentina or Italy or Brazil.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:40 am

I left Wales when I was 19 and for the last 30 years have spent living within a purely English environment be it in England or abroad. As a Welshman I have suffered racist remarks alot more than say a black man even when it was OK to call them a spade. However most of my call naming have come from a very few English people with most of them ignoring it. It really is a minority thing that seems to get blown out of all proportion and this espeically happens at football matches.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Feedback wrote:I started to read this but then realised you'll ge the usual uneducated dross answer.

the english today have no influence on the english of 800 years ago so hating them for what happened 800 years ago is a bit trivial and daft. Even then, we've been interbreeding since that time so its unlikely that any english or wlesh have not got bits of the other in them since that time.

at no pont during the world cup did any of my manc mates beleive they'd get past the quarter finals, most thought they'd be out of the group stages and thats it. People confuse the ridiculous media bias as testament that the average England fan actually believe they can win the world cup. they don't. its akin to all the Welsh loving rugby because the welsh media says so - well if the media say so it must be true - according to us Welsh when discussing the English anyway.

I've got mates from all over England and none of them hate Wales, none of them think badly of us. It is the Welsh who like to think that the English hate them. they don't.

people need to get out of Wales a bit more and actually talk to a few English people, you'll find they don't have two heads and are actually the same as we are.

now if the OP had asked why do the Welsh hate people from Bolton i'd have a list as long as your arm

:mrgreen:

Then you should have read some of the posts!!!

Overall, they explain WHY there is (to an extent) a dislike of most things 'English' be it the
press the media the government... the establishment

This is born of 100s of years of fighting over culture, religion, language, and land with a
Country ten times bigger!

So 'England' will always be the 'enemy' to Welsh people

But barring certain small pockets of Wales like pwllheli, Caernarfon, parts of Anglesey etc
no English person would ever get grief just for being English.

We're not that different.

As for Bolton?? its an Islamic shitehole. But the indigenous people are warm and friendly
and the women are sexy as f*ck

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:10 pm

I am half English/half Welsh and as many have said its a football thing. I would say why does Blackburn hate Burnley? they are both English. Why do we Cardiff hate Swansea and vice versa now that is hate. When you get Welsh fans drinking with English fans at games you tend to find they really get on, so why the apparent hate ? Well when we are all on the terraces we look to wind up the other fans and coming from a different country is a damn good start. Millwall on Saturday for example singing id rather be a Paki than a Taff, i found that amusing i wasn,t offended, did they really mean that? NO i don,t think so.

As said before its the tribalism we all have in us loyal to our own team, when say the majority of lads who join the army are Football mad they get together as the British Army there loyalty changes to them all together !! They are like brothers,they rely on each other, they need each other, being English Irish Scottish Welsh doesn't matter.

But when we play an English team which is nearly every week then you here the anti Welsh songs all the time, because they dont play a Welsh team very often they make the most of the rivalry. So we get it more than anyone apart from the Jacks and Wrexham / Newport.

To sum up no we dont hate the English, supporters are replying like for like to make an atmosphere!! to be witier!! and you will find if the to sets are having a drink together you do really find we get on and enjoy the company on the other. :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Hundreds of years of oppression

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm

When we have our own parliament, and i can bank in the Royal Bank Of Wales, and Bellamy is on the back of a fiver, I wont hate the english

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23322 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23249

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:11 pm

thanks for the answers some very sensible others better left alone lol as still living 300 or more years ago thanks again bluebirds, ill be there ill be there :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:26 pm

GREAT DEBATE :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: