Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NOT GOOD ENOUGH - CRYSTAL PALACE HOME

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:14 pm

That was quite simply not good enough against a team who have not scored a goal away from home and were pointless away from home before tonight. Against a side who were missing their better players and were forced through injury to make 2 early sustitutes.

We looked clueless tonight, very much as we did against Hull, Leicester, Ipswich and Millwall. I am getting sick and tired of seeing us consistently inconsistent, we go through 4-5 game patches of good followed by bad followed by good again.

There were players out there tonight who were not good enough, Naylor and Keogh were 2 prime suspects and was Koumas even playing ?

Gypese was dropped tonight after a poor performance against Millwall, I do wonder who will be dropped this Saturday against Barnsley ? Naylor maybe, Keogh probably, McPhail back in for Koumas ?

Dave Jones you have to put an end to these worrying trends we always fashion. On Saturday you said ' you earn your luck ' well what happened tonight ?

Re: NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:20 pm

We had no bench to change anything.
What would you have done with the bench we had tonight?
Tonights bench reminded me of last season.
In fact you could argue it was worse without Ross.
Fingers crossed our injured players will be back soon. :ayatollah:
I

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 pm

carlccfc wrote:That was quite simply not good enough against a team who have not scored a goal away from home and were pointless away from home before tonight. Against a side who were missing their better players and were forced through injury to make 2 early sustitutes.

We looked clueless tonight, very much as we did against Hull, Leicester, Ipswich and Millwall. I am getting sick and tired of seeing us consistently inconsistent, we go through 4-5 game patches of good followed by bad followed by good again.

There were players out there tonight who were not good enough, Naylor and Keogh were 2 prime suspects and was Koumas even playing ?

Gypese was dropped tonight after a poor performance against Millwall, I do wonder who will be dropped this Saturday against Barnsley ? Naylor maybe, Keogh probably, McPhail back in for Koumas ?

Dave Jones you have to put an end to these worrying trends we always fashion. On Saturday you said ' you earn your luck ' well what happened tonight ?

bang on carl boi

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23263 :cry:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:23 pm

sleepwalker wrote:We had no bench to change anything.
I

DJ gave Ross virtually away Knowing Chops was out for at least 2 months, Weve only got 3 players missing, We will always have injuries/suspensions etc etc

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Awful fare tonight Carl, not quick enough to shift the ball and break down the opposition. I'd have put
Matthews on in a shot-why? His throw ins may just have provided a little spark of luck, and he will support
the wingers, creating angles where as Naylor sits back.
McNaughton is better left side anyway!

The game was crying out for some individual brilliance. We have the personnel but AGAIN they didn't deliver. I point to the lack of cover for Bothroyd aswell we need another big man asap.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:25 pm

I

I would have taken Naylor off a lot earlier than DJ did.

Kounas would have been off also.

Matthews and Wildig would have come on.

I would have gone 3-4-3

Kev Hudson Blake

Matthews Wildig Oli Whitts

Keogh Bothroyd Burke

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:26 pm

wigstar wrote:Awful fare tonight Carl, not quick enough to shift the ball and break down the opposition. I'd have put
Matthews on in a shot-why? His throw ins may just have provided a little spark of luck, and he will support
the wingers, creating angles where as Naylor sits back.
McNaughton is better left side anyway!

The game was crying out for some individual brilliance. We have the personnel but AGAIN they didn't deliver. I point to the lack of cover for Bothroyd aswell we need another big man asap.

Exactly Wiggy he should have definately brought Matthews on for Naylor.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Matthews could have had a run on right midfield, good for his confidence and chance to show his attacking game :old:

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:29 pm

We lacked width tonight and missed runs like Chopra makes, I am sorry to say that keogh is not a central player, his second touch is a tackle and there is not enough movement from him down the middle.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:Matthews could have had a run on right midfield, good for his confidence and chance to show his attacking game :old:

Thats why I think 3-4-3 would have suited the players we had available tonight and given us width to attack and Matthews would have exploited the fact he could attack further forward

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
I

DJ gave Ross virtually away Knowing Chops was out for at least 2 months, Weve only got 3 players missing, We will always have injuries/suspensions etc etc

2 of them are craig and chops
A big miss.

Re: NOT GOOD ENOUGH - CRYSTAL PALACE HOME

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:33 pm

Sadly I think Mr Jones is over looking young Adam due to Ipswich= poor!

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:36 pm

what annoyed me tonight was the lack of movement up top most of the game oli or whitts looking up couldnt go forward cos everything was to static so had to go backwards or sideways and when we did try and get it forward it was running straight through to the goalkeeper on a greasy surface with no chance for bothroyd.

we got to get used to teams coming to us and keeping it tight. its on us to breakdown the teams as were at home and expecting promotion so for a lot of teams coming to us this year they will feel like a point is a great result

hope it improves for barnsley on saturday

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 pm

carlccfc wrote:That was quite simply not good enough against a team who have not scored a goal away from home and were pointless away from home before tonight. Against a side who were missing their better players and were forced through injury to make 2 early sustitutes.

Agree with all this. Naylor went straight up the tunnel after being subbed so that saves Dave dropping him. At least Quinn can tackle, put him in for Barnsley with SuperKev on the left.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Stop moaning - keep the faith.

Unfortunately for us tonight, there was plenty of effort but no spark of brilliance (or even competence from some players)

It happens - but we're still second and in a strong position.

Naylor looked injured to me from early on - probably shouldn't have stayed on as long as he did.

Matthews - why drag him on when the team are as bad as they were tonight? Do you want to remove what little self-confidence he has left?

Keep the faith

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:42 pm

carlccfc wrote:
I

I would have gone 3-4-3

Kev Hudson Blake

Keogh Bothroyd Burke

and you would have lost a point.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:45 pm

sleepwalker wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
I

I would have gone 3-4-3

Kev Hudson Blake

Keogh Bothroyd Burke

and you would have lost a point.

No I would have gained another 2

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm trying to take a positive from that, we've picked up 7 points from 5 games (including tonight). Our bad runs in previous seasons were a lot worse in terms of points, although performances were just as bad. The two games we lost, we were missing 4-5 players who would have started, of those 4-5 players I'd say at least 4 of them would walk into most if not all Championship teams (Bothroyd, Chopra, Bellamy and Seyi). We're a different team with these guys fit and firing.

I think it will pick up once the likes of Chopra and Bellamy come back, we're really lacking pace and movement at the moment which is what these two will provide us with.

On a side note, what has happened to Chris Burke? He's carried on his woeful run of form from the back end of last season, Doncaster at home being the exception. His confidence looks totally shot, he's always looking to cut inside and pass rather than backing himself to beat his man and whip the ball in.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 pm

I get the impression we've trained the style of play to revolve around the 4-3-3 with Bellamy, Chopra and Bothroyd up front in training so much that now the pace has gone from our attack we have no idea what to do. Until Bellamy and Chopra come back we need to go 4-4-2 and play it to feet. Go back to the basics until the big guns are back. Pass and move. Keep it simple. It's not rocket science. They just need to work a bit harder as well. I think 2nd place might be going to their heads a bit.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:55 pm

we had no leader again!!!!!we just havent got a player with that fight and dog in him to motivate the others that are lacking in that department,hudson is hitting a bit of form of late but displays no leadership skills :x :x :x

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:06 pm

im not being funny but naylor must be shagging dave jones, how else is he still in the fecking team

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:11 pm

Jones really doesn't know how to beat a team with 5 in the middle, he matched them today but how can he justify that formation against a team who were 20th going into the game. We should have gone straight at them in my opinion. But we were too scared to shoot. Fair play to Heaton though, pulled off 1 or 2 great saves

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:04 am

poor teams need to be stretched.but we had no width on one side!!
they sat deep and very compact and we were made to pass sideways and backwards.
who was left wing tonight?? keogh? koumas?

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:27 am

we started with 4 in the middle with Burke out right but went to 5 in the middle with nobody on the right
Keough was in no mans land, Oly was knackered, Koumas isnt fit,
Drawing at home with 15 minutes left... and bring on QUinn???
Only positives is that Hudson is improving and everyone looks more comfortable with Heaton.

Booing at the end was out of order though.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 am

vikinblue wrote:we had no leader again!!!!!we just havent got a player with that fight and dog in him to motivate the others that are lacking in that department,hudson is hitting a bit of form of late but displays no leadership skills :x :x :x

We Sadly have Not had a player like that for 2 years :evil:

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 am

"I am getting sick and tired of seeing us consistently inconsistent"

Maybe we are just inconsistent.

I sick and tired of bad grammar, but at least you're consistently inconsistent consistently.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:07 am

When people say we have to expect it cos Craig and Chops were injured it pisses me off, are we to say that if they are missing we will never win and must accept that, sorry never will accept it. DJ kept nearly all the same squad from last season and has added his choice of new players so there are no excuses, he says we are not a one man team but a squad of players.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:14 am

recharding wrote:"I am getting sick and tired of seeing us consistently inconsistent"

Maybe we are just inconsistent.

I sick and tired of bad grammar, but at least you're consistently inconsistent consistently.

All Carl is doing is making a clear statement. Yes I am sick of seeing us inconsistant. You only have to look back over the last 3 seasons to see how we keep going hot and cold. DJ has had plenty of time to sort this out and has bene given the resources. Being direct about this he has failed and i believe its going to cost us promotion this season.

Regarding bad grammar, may I remind you its a football forum and not a sports paper. Its meant to be fun and the last thing we want is people picking on bits and bobs.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:15 am

ridofrid wrote:When people say we have to expect it cos Craig and Chops were injured it pisses me off, are we to say that if they are missing we will never win and must accept that, sorry never will accept it. DJ kept nearly all the same squad from last season and has added his choice of new players so there are no excuses, he says we are not a one man team but a squad of players.

Totally agree with all of this.