Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What other Clubs would you compare to Cardiff for potential?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Bristol City

Plymouth

Brighton

Any others...

I think all 3 along with Cardiff would average 35,000+ if they became established Premier League Clubs with Good backers due to their fan base and catchment areas.

Any others?

Re: What other Clubs would you compare to Cardiff for potential?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:22 pm

EddieEdwards wrote:Bristol City

Plymouth

Brighton

Any others...

I think all 3 along with Cardiff would average 35,000+ if they became established Premier League Clubs with Good backers due to their fan base and catchment areas.

Any others?

I always thought Pompey and Plymouth were like us.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Plymouth

Brighton

Any others...

Any others?

Iv always thought of Plymouth as very similar to us Annis.

When they marched up the divisions from the 3rd to the Championship, redeveloped the ground and were pulling 15,000 in League 2, and 16-17,000 in League 1, they seem to have gone backwards a bit now. But I think if they had a bit of funding and were pushing on, due to where they are located they would be the Cardiff of Devon and the South West.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I dont think that list even comes close to us.

Whilst all the clubs mentioned have the capability of attracting 35,000 crowds I genuinely think that we are one step forward and have the capability of attracting 50-60000 - with ground increases, of course.

There are so many individuals who live miles away from a Premiership Ground. We will pick some of these up. We will pick up supporters from West Wales and the West Country.

As we become more successful more of Cardiff will want to support us.

Add this to the support that we already get from Cardiff and the Valleys we are looking at one huge possibility.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I dont think that list even comes close to us.

Whilst all the clubs mentioned have the capability of attracting 35,000 crowds I genuinely think that we are one step forward and have the capability of attracting 50-60000 - with ground increases, of course.

There are so many individuals who live miles away from a Premiership Ground. We will pick some of these up. We will pick up supporters from West Wales and the West Country.

Add this to the support that we already get from Cardiff and the Valleys we are looking at one huge possibility.

Paul, I would love to agree, but I believe that everything you have said could easily be attributed to both Plymouth and Bristol City.

Plymouth, everything West of Plymouth. Cornwall, which is bigger than Wales and the surrounding areas.

I suppose Bristol City are slightly different as they have Yeovil, Cheltenham, Swindon and the Thames Valley Clubs to deal with but I think they could be equaly as big as us if they had the backing.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:41 pm

EddieEdwards wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Plymouth

Brighton

Any others...

Any others?

Iv always thought of Plymouth as very similar to us Annis.

When they marched up the divisions from the 3rd to the Championship, redeveloped the ground and were pulling 15,000 in League 2, and 16-17,000 in League 1, they seem to have gone backwards a bit now. But I think if they had a bit of funding and were pushing on, due to where they are located they would be the Cardiff of Devon and the South West.

I agree with you, They have both gone backwards, a bit like what weve done so many times in the past.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Plymouth

Brighton

Any others...

Any others?

I would say there aren't any that could match our 'potential'

Plymouth will never take loads of support from Exeter or Torquay, the only other
large-ish population areas down there. Bristol City have got Rovers and the closest
area of any other significant population is S Wales. Brighton? biggish town on its
own, but again, Portsmouth aint far, nor is London

No other Club in Britain has a catchment area of over 1.5 million and no rivals!!!
I'm not in any way knocking the jacks here, but when they were playing top flight
football in the early 80's they never really made a dent in the Cardiff City support.
They ARE our rivals, but support-wise they haven't got a prayer, never have, never
will. Our only rival is the egg, but there will be a lot less kids wearing Cardiff Blues
or Wales shirts once we reach the promised land.

Will we ever fulfill our true potential?? 35,000 crowds week in week out??

We may soon find out :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:46 pm

I believe Brighton, Could be a Very big Club, give them a 30,000 Stadium and a promotion and watch their Support Come back :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Plymouth

Brighton

Any others...

Any others?

The three clubs you mention all have big potential, of the three i would say Brighton the biggest. How they must wish for a 27000 seater stadium. Would Bristol Rovers be bigger than BC if their fortunes were reversed? How about Swindon down the M4, maybe the same as Reading???

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:00 pm

taffyapple wrote:

Plymouth

Brighton

Any others...

Any others?

I would say there aren't any that could match our 'potential'

Plymouth will never take loads of support from Exeter or Torquay, the only other
large-ish population areas down there. Bristol City have got Rovers and the closest
area of any other significant population is S Wales. Brighton? biggish town on its
own, but again, Portsmouth aint far, nor is London

No other Club in Britain has a catchment area of over 1.5 million and no rivals!!!
I'm not in any way knocking the jacks here, but when they were playing top flight
football in the early 80's they never really made a dent in the Cardiff City support.
They ARE our rivals, but support-wise they haven't got a prayer, never have, never
will. Our only rival is the egg, but there will be a lot less kids wearing Cardiff Blues
or Wales shirts once we reach the promised land.

Will we ever fulfill our true potential?? 35,000 crowds week in week out??

We may soon find out :ayatollah:

You may well be right fella, and I hope you are and that in the not to distant future its proven :ayatollah:

I think Plymouth could be a big big club mind. Cornwall has a population of half a million alone and the nearest Football Team is Plymouth, the nearest top flight team is in London!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:01 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I believe Brighton, Could be a Very big Club, give them a 30,000 Stadium and a promotion and watch their Support Come back :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Agreed, excelent away following aswell, once they have their new ground and a bit of sucsess they could be big.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:03 pm

Carlilse?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I believe Brighton, Could be a Very big Club, give them a 30,000 Stadium and a promotion and watch their Support Come back :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Not a bad call actually. I think they have a catchment area of nearly half a million

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:09 pm

Hull city and Bradford are both big cities. Hull has got a large catchment area. If any team in Lincolnshire got their act together they could be big because it's a massive county with feck all to do!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:12 pm

EddieEdwards wrote:Carlilse?

Smaller than Newport. No other large towns anywhere near. Nah.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:20 pm

The problem With Carlisle is the same as Plymouth, geographic remoteness, if you know what i mean. Plymouth, for example, promote there club to the greater sporting public further on down in Cornwall, all very well except for the public transport issues, especially during a mid week evening kick off game. What time is the last train to Penzance from Plymouth on a Tuesday night??? [Somebodys bound to know this. :lol: ].

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:23 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:

The problem With Carlisle is the same as Plymouth, geographic remoteness, if you know what i mean. Plymouth, for example, promote there club to the greater sporting public further on down in Cornwall, all very well except for the public transport issues, especially during a mid week evening kick off game. What time is the last train to Penzance from Plymouth on a Tuesday night??? [Somebodys bound to know this. :lol: ].

What you say is true mate, i guess the trouble for Plymouth is that the Poplulation is to spread out, whereas for Cardiff, as Taffy Apple said, we have a population locked together on our doorstep. :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Yes, Not as big as us, but could sustain a fair crowd in the higher Divisions, theyve certainly got the catchment areas :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:22 pm

i honestly believe that no club has the potential that we have , we have a huge catchment area with a big population it's whether they will come out and start attending games is the question, if we go up i think they will otherwise it's doubtful, if they had supported the club when we were going up through the divisions when sam was here the club wouldn't be in the financial mess it ending up in a couple of thousand on the gate would have made all the difference.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I dont think that list even comes close to us.

I agree with most of this but would definitely include Brrrsol City in the list of 'similar' clubs for size and potential. A successful side from anywhere in or around the South East Wales/West of England area would benefit massively from the untapped catchment area in which it is situated....

I would also include Norwich and Ipswich for similar reasons in their area....

Potential is one thing but realisation is another....and we are now as well placed as any to achieve the dream :)

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:19 am

the blue path wrote:i honestly believe that no club has the potential that we have , we have a huge catchment area with a big population it's whether they will come out and start attending games is the question, if we go up i think they will otherwise it's doubtful, if they had supported the club when we were going up through the divisions when sam was here the club wouldn't be in the financial mess it ending up in a couple of thousand on the gate would have made all the difference.

We do have a large catchment area and if we gained promotion the potential is there for us to capitalise on it, the one stumbing block could well be the probable price of walk up tickets. At present the going rate is what £26-£28? this would probably rise considerably if we were a Prem club, would new supporters be prepared/able to pay possibly £35 or more? or possibly £500 or more for a season ticket? or would it be cheaper to carry on watching their football from their armchair?

Bristol City IMO have the same potential as we do, potential wise we're probably on a par.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:52 am

CF64 BLUE wrote:
the blue path wrote:i honestly believe that no club has the potential that we have , we have a huge catchment area with a big population it's whether they will come out and start attending games is the question, if we go up i think they will otherwise it's doubtful, if they had supported the club when we were going up through the divisions when sam was here the club wouldn't be in the financial mess it ending up in a couple of thousand on the gate would have made all the difference.

We do have a large catchment area and if we gained promotion the potential is there for us to capitalise on it, the one stumbing block could well be the probable price of walk up tickets. At present the going rate is what £26-£28? this would probably rise considerably if we were a Prem club, would new supporters be prepared/able to pay possibly £35 or more? or possibly £500 or more for a season ticket? or would it be cheaper to carry on watching their football from their armchair?

Bristol City IMO have the same potential as we do, potential wise we're probably on a par.

we got more potential then bristol city, they got rovers with them and they got a decent fan base themselves

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:59 am

I think like for like.

If we had the same history and same size stadium, we would be a bigger club than Bristol City, Pompey & Brighton.

I think if we make the premier we would be a similar size club to Sunderland.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:19 am

Most clubs with our potential are already there !

Leicester are a similar sized city with a fairly large catchement area in the county of Leicestershire,
Coventry again similar sized city, but not so much potential outside.

Hull as mentioned is one I always thought of as similar.

Pompey is a bit smaller than cardiff and catchment area also smaller

Bradford, another big city, but loads of local competition and in Leeds shadow.

Huddersfield have always had big crowds for their status. Obviously a big history, but the town is smaller and catchment smaller.

Plymouth has been mentioned a bit and a few years ago I'd agree, but with rugby dying slowly down here I think we've over-taken them. In fact rugby has picked up in Cornwall recently with 2 top sides down there taking support away from Plymouth.

Bristol City could be, but then they have a bit of competition from Rovers and will go backwards until the get their new ground and success in there and they could be big. Still dont think they've got as big a catchment area as us.

Wolves have always been bigger, but thats been down to history and success. I'd say if all was equal in terms of league status for 20 years we'd pass them -our city is a bit bigger and again the 1m from the Valleys cant be matched.

Stoke is a big City too, with a decent catchment area and I'd compare us to them.

Brighton is a good shout, smaller City than Cardiff, but one team in Sussex and no competing sport. Their fans have backed their club well through all their troubles over the past 20 years and they could be a decent sized club. If all was equal though I still think we'd have the edge.

Sunderland - we'll struggle to match as its a religion up there.

Middlesborough - I've always thought us similar, Cardiff is bigger in population terms, but they have no other sporting cmpetition up there. Their gates go up and down a lot - a bit like us over the years.

Norwich and Ipswich both smaller cities with fairly large catchment areas, and no competing sport. Their gates are better than ours (although we've overtaken Ipswich), but they have years of top flight footy to build a fan base amongst the local families.

i'll stop here before you all fall asleep... :lol:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:28 am

I always compare us to Pompey

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Man City... :lol: :lol:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:44 pm

We'd get a whole nation behind us if we could stabilize ourselves in the premiership ahead of the jacks and market ourselves properly.

But that means behaving so feck that :D ...i'd say we could be like mmmmmmmmm?....Barcelona :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:46 am

we are bigger than barcelona, sam said it 10 years ago :ayatollah:

Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:26 am

Southampton? They got 26k yesterday which is amazing for a L1 club. The Saints and Pompey have potential if you ask me. Both well supported clubs.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 pm

bloo wrote:Southampton? They got 26k yesterday which is amazing for a L1 club. The Saints and Pompey have potential if you ask me. Both well supported clubs.

SFC are a funny one. Saints have good support from rural hampshire and the city itself. However they struggled to fill the 15k Dell at the start of prem league. When they had a few good years after moving grounds they got ave of about 28k and apart from big games it was easy to get tickets. I ventured down to a saints pompey derby and the atmosphere was shit. Saints have 1 song (o when the saints). Yesterdays crowd included 5k Bournemouth.