Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CARDIFF CITY HAVE PAID FINAL EMILIANO SALA INSTALLMENT "

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:21 pm

BEEN CONFIRMED THAT THE FINAL INSTALLMENT FOR EMILIANO SALA HAS BEEN PAID :thumbright: :bluebird:

OUR CURRENT TRANSFER RESTRICTIONS WILL BE FULLY LIFTED IN JANUARY :ayatollah:

BBC:

Cardiff City: Football club told to pay Sala transfer balance

Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City pay FC Nantes transfer balance

By Rob Phillips

BBC Sport Wales football correspondent

Tuesday 18th July 2023

Cardiff have been in dispute with FC Nantes over the transfer fee since the striker died on route to Wales in January 2019.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

CARDIFF CITY FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT:

Cardiff City today paid the 2nd and 3rd instalments of the transfer fee for Emiliano Sala, as recently ordered to do by FIFA.

This is despite there not yet being a judicial decision about FC Nantes’ liability for the crash. We continue to work towards those responsible being held accountable.

We look forward to the trial before the French court next year.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Updated

The chair of the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust has confirmed the club have informed them the final payment has been met.

Full comments from Keith Morgan, which have been tweeted by the CCFC Trust, below:

We wanted to make you aware that the Trust has been informed that Cardiff City FC has met the final payment due under the Emiliano Sala transfer to Nantes.

This means the club has complied with the instruction by FIFA and also means there is no risk of breaching the EFL ruling.

This is excellent news and brings to an end a very difficult time and also means that everyone at Cardiff City will be completely focused as we prepare for the new Championship season starting next month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " CARDIFF CITY HAVE PAID FINAL EMILIANO SALA INSTALLMENT

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:34 pm

I'm pleased the club have paid this final installment. It was what needed to be done and also takes away the possibility of having much tougher transfer restrictions given to the club.

I don't believe this is the end of the matter entirely, as we know Tan will go ahead and attempt to sue Nantes.

But it was very important we met this payment.

More than ever, it should be remembered that the people this is toughest for are Emiliano Sala's friends and family. My thoughts to them.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:38 pm

Great news and there's been quite a lot if positive news this pre-season.

We know it could've been paid 3 years ago and would've been less but its done now regardless (apart from possible private legal cases).

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:50 pm

That is fantastic news. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:52 pm

This was a matter that I genuinely worried about

Who knows what sort of penalty we were going to face if the payment had been late/unpaid

Anyway, we can now move on

It is yet another positive bit of news to come out of this pre season. The club really are doing well and it seems finally are starting to make forward steps especially with requirement

I am genuinely excited for the new season which I haven't been for a number of years

Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:54 pm

That is a huge relief.
Onwards & upwards!

Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:29 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I'm pleased the club have paid this final installment. It was what needed to be done and also takes away the possibility of having much tougher transfer restrictions given to the club.

I don't believe this is the end of the matter entirely, as we know Tan will go ahead and attempt to sue Nantes.

But it was very important we met this payment.

More than ever, it should be remembered that the people this is toughest for are Emiliano Sala's friends and family. My thoughts to them.

With you on all of that, Ned... :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:38 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:BEEN CONFIRMED THAT THE FINAL INSTALLMENT FOR EMILIANO SALA HAS BEEN PAID :thumbright: :bluebird:

OUR CURRENT TRANSFER RESTRICTIONS WILL BE FULLY LIFTED IN JANUARY :ayatollah:

The chair of the Cardiff City Supporters' Trust has confirmed the club have informed them the final payment has been met.

Full comments from Keith Morgan, which have been tweeted by the CCFC Trust, below:

We wanted to make you aware that the Trust has been informed that Cardiff City FC has met the final payment due under the Emiliano Sala transfer to Nantes.

This means the club has complied with the instruction by FIFA and also means there is no risk of breaching the EFL ruling.

This is excellent news and brings to an end a very difficult time and also means that everyone at Cardiff City will be completely focused as we prepare for the new Championship season starting next month.

Thank you tan

Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:47 pm

CARDIFF CITY FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT:

Cardiff City today paid the 2nd and 3rd instalments of the transfer fee for Emiliano Sala, as recently ordered to do by FIFA.

This is despite there not yet being a judicial decision about FC Nantes’ liability for the crash. We continue to work towards those responsible being held accountable.

We look forward to the trial before the French court next year.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:51 pm

great news and keeps the positivity flowing through the summer

Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:52 pm

Does this mean the transfer ban can get lifted immediately or do we still have to wait until January ?

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:01 pm

Abergavenny wrote:Does this mean the transfer ban can get lifted immediately or do we still have to wait until January ?

Jan

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:02 pm

Abergavenny wrote:Does this mean the transfer ban can get lifted immediately or do we still have to wait until January ?

I believe we still have the embargo as it’s separate from the efl

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:04 pm

It will be lifted in January. As these restrictions are a result of us being late with the first installment. The restrictions the EFL initially put us under were due to go on until Summer 2024, but it was reduced to January 2024 on appeal. This was for the EFL restrictions. For the FIFA restrictions, they were lifted when they had confirmation we had paid that installment. But due to the EFL restrictions, we could only sign free agents and free loans until January 2024. That is still the case.

After it was ordered by FIFA that we had to pay the second and third installments recently, it was made clear ny both FIFA and the EFL the restrictions would go on for a lot longer and be a lot tougher if we didn't pay it in time.

So this situation now is we can still only sign free loans and free agents for the rest of this window.

But from January, we can spend money again on players.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:24 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:This was a matter that I genuinely worried about

Who knows what sort of penalty we were going to face if the payment had been late/unpaid

It is yet another positive bit of news to come out of this pre season. The club really are doing well and it seems finally are starting to make forward steps especially with requirement

I am genuinely excited for the new season which I haven't been for a number of years

Finally common sense prevails, but the Laws that be would not let us get away with it anymore.

I remember over 4 yrs ago saying we will have to pay and and the usual group said We won’t Tan knows what’s he’s doing.

We ended up having our name dragged through the mud, fines, interest and a transfer embargo we are still under.

I personally feel it’s time to move on and let’s finally put an end to it.

This was not good and even worse for the Sala family.

Over four and a half years of court battles and Tan has to pay up again at a cost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:36 pm

Reply Twitter:

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:46 pm

BBC:

Cardiff City: Football club told to pay Sala transfer balance

Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City pay FC Nantes transfer balance

By Rob Phillips

BBC Sport Wales football correspondent

Tuesday 18th July 2023

Cardiff have been in dispute with FC Nantes over the transfer fee since the striker died on route to Wales in January 2019.

The Argentine had become Cardiff's record £15m record signing when the plane carrying him from France to the Welsh capital crashed into the English Channel.

A three-window embargo was imposed by world football's governing body Fifa because of Cardiff's refusal to pay the first instalment of the transfer fee they had agreed with FCNantes.

Cardiff claimed they were not liable for any of the fee because Sala was not officially their player when he died at the age of 28.

Cardiff then failed in an appeal over the Fifa ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne in 2022.

In January, the club paid FC Nantes the first instalment of the fee. Fifa then lifted the embargo on the club.

The English Football League also put an embargo on Cardiff and remnants of that remain in place, as the club are currently unable to pay fees for new signings.

The block on paying for players had been due to stretch until next summer, but the length of the embargo has been reduced and it will be lifted in January 2024, when Cardiff will again be allowed to pay for players.

But Cardiff's action in the French civil courts will still be pursued after a Swiss Federal Tribunal decided the CAS did not have the power to deal with the club's claim for damages.

In May, Cardiff began suing FC Nantes for almost £100m over the death of Sala.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:57 pm

Fantastic news. I hope the club are successful in getting some of the money back. Just glad it doesn’t detrimentally effect is going forward

Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:06 pm

Is there a change of direction from Tan after 3 years of cost cutting?

The whole Sala fee paid, high profile signings, embargo to be lifted in Jan

Possibly having another crack at the Premier League?

Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:09 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Is there a change of direction from Tan after 3 years of cost cutting?

We have to give massive credit to Dalman, I am not one of his biggest fans, but Dalman has taken the reigns over , lent us big money, took the piss out of Tan and should interest in our club .
Let’s hope we are up there this season :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:45 pm

Feeling really optimistic for this season now , things have really flowed positively this summer , I actually feel glad that we have dalman , he’s sorted this club into a new direction before we were heading to the dungeon . Top 6 I predict come Christmas time

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Is there a change of direction from Tan after 3 years of cost cutting?

We have to give massive credit to Dalman, I am not one of his biggest fans, but Dalman has taken the reigns over , lent us big money, took the piss out of Tan and should interest in our club .

You do realise that it was tan that's paid this fee not dalman just like he paid the one in January? .

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:16 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

You do realise that it was tan that's paid this fee not dalman just like he paid the one in January? .

And rightly so.

Of course at the clubs expense

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:16 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Finally common sense prevails, but the Laws that be would not let us get away with it anymore.

I remember over 4 yrs ago saying we will have to pay and and the usual group said We won’t Tan knows what’s he’s doing.

We ended up having our name dragged through the mud, fines, interest and a transfer embargo we are still under.

Over four and a half years of court battles and Tan has to pay up again at a cost.

I think the club had every right to withhold the fee until due diligence was undertaken. The club have been dealt a very unlucky hand.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:17 pm

That's what I've been told but obviously some on here won't admit it but as dalmon said in a recent interview everything goes through the owner , I'm happy that the pursestrings seem to have been loosened adter years of being run on a small budget , I've said for a few years now that tan should either invest more or sell up .I'm really positive for the coming season that we will be competitive.

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:19 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I think the club had every right to withhold the fee until due diligence was undertaken. The club have been dealt a very unlucky hand.

Ok Joff :lol: :lol:

The Ted shirt man

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

And rightly so.

Of course at the clubs expense

It depends if Tan does more debt to equity write off as he's done in the past then it's not the clubs expense. But city have been done on this whole affair sala death is not our fault and Tan or the club are down 20 million cos of it .

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:21 pm

Mr Ducie wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Arouhd 20 million for nothing mate . Hopefully get something back from someone. Some club knockers are forgetting that we've lost out here .money that should have been invested more in the club other than Nantes pocket .

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Mr Ducie wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Ok Joff :lol: :lol:

The Ted shirt man

Ted Shirt ?

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Replies FB: