Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Any point in a 16-25 railcard?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 pm

I start at 9 am every day in University (11 am on a Tuesday). I've recently acquired a 16-25 rail card for everyday use, as it'll mean I save about £1.50 ish every day on train travel.

I went to use my railcard yesterday, and it tried to charge me £12 (A return costs me £5, and with discount it should cost me about £3.50). I was late for my train so had to pay the £5 normal price and rush to my train.

I complained about the machine being faulty earlier today, because it again charged me £12. I was told that a 16-25 student railcard CANNOT be used before 10am unless my train fare comes to over £12.

My point is, WHY do they make student rail cards if they cannot be used before 10 am? It makes absolutely no sense!

Re: Any point in a 16-25 railcard?

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 pm

cant use the student railcard before 10am, because, it gives the working people time to avoid meeting these non tax paying , parasites :thumbleft: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 pm

It is beneficial for students who have gone away to University. I saved a fortune when I was at Uni the first time, when I travelled between Liverpool and Taunton.

Have you looked at getting a season ticket for the train? Works out cheaper and you can travel as many times as you like between the stations:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/seasonticket/tickets

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:37 am

As mentioned, a seven day, monthly or annual season ticket is the cheapest way to travell on the railway if you are a regular user. I know, i work on the railways.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:35 am

ninianblue wrote:cant use the student railcard before 10am, because, it gives the working people time to avoid meeting these non tax paying , parasites :thumbleft: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

f**k you ;) :P

Claire wrote:It is beneficial for students who have gone away to University. I saved a fortune when I was at Uni the first time, when I travelled between Liverpool and Taunton.

Have you looked at getting a season ticket for the train? Works out cheaper and you can travel as many times as you like between the stations:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/seasonticket/tickets

I can understand how it saves money - it was the main reason in me getting one. However, it still doesn't change the fact that I start at 9 am every day, but cannot use it till 10 am every day :/

As for the season ticket, I'm definatly going to look into it. If I buy a monthly (easiest option for my income), then it'll save me £25-£30 a month, which will be a godsend.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:15 pm

If you use it lots, then it's worth using.

The 10am ruling does hamper it a bit though, although in some areas it's relaxed due to the sparse services.

I once sold 11 in 1 day, in one of the few areas where it can be used before 10am.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Is it so difficult to understand the economics of rail travel.

The trains are busy during the morning rish hour so there is no need to discount fares to get people to travel. They offer you a deal as as tudent to travel after 10am as the tarins are quieter and they want to entice people to travel at those times. Its the same reason why you cant get cheap tickets from the Valleys to Cardiff when there's a rugby international on.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Dafydd wrote:
ninianblue wrote:cant use the student railcard before 10am, because, it gives the working people time to avoid meeting these non tax paying , parasites :thumbleft: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

f**k you ;) :P

you want to f**k me,,,,, can i email you,,,,,, what you doing tomorrow :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :lol: