Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who can speak Welsh?

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Is it worth the hassle? What do you get out of it? My baby is 1 and I'm wondering if it's worth sending him to a Welsh school for a better education? I did Spanish for a bit. Iechyd da, innit. :lol:

Re: Who can speak Welsh?

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Welsh around this area can certainly be a benefit when looking for a job, i speak a bit of welsh for my work which is required since i live up in abergavenny (High volume of welsh speakers up here).

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:47 pm

Rydw I wedi siarad Cymraeg ar hyd fy oes. Rydw I yn cefnogi Clwb Pel-droed Caerdydd :lol:

I live in mid west Wales, so I've spoken welsh since the day I said my first word.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:54 pm

I don't think I could even put a sentance together in Welsh and it doesn't bother me one bit. Never had to use it

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:53 pm

I cant,Sorry but would rather speak Spanish.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:19 pm

All my five children speak welsh i think its a good thing.in fact my daughter teaches welsh :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Midfield general wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I cant,Sorry but would rather speak Spanish.

Agreed Annis. Spanish is spoken all over the world compared to Welsh been spoken in pockets of Wales.

The amount of money this country wastes on converting english to welsh is incredible and should be the first thing which is cut by this new government as well as the Welsh Assembly.

The Spanish language can get some terrific jobs :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:29 pm

earnieblue wrote:All my five children speak welsh i think its a good thing.in fact my daughter teaches welsh :ayatollah:

Earnie, it is good to show our heritage :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:55 pm

I can speak welsh,went to Ifor Bach and Cwm Rhymney glad i can speak it,hasnt really helped me,but im a proud Welshman and im glad i can.

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Wish i could speak fluent Welsh. :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:21 pm

being able to speak welsh makes you more welsh :D I dont think itll be that hard to learn, there are some aspects of it similer to english. I like being able to speak welsh :lol:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Midfield general wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I cant,Sorry but would rather speak Spanish.

Agreed Annis. Spanish is spoken all over the world compared to Welsh been spoken in pockets of Wales.

The amount of money this country wastes on converting english to welsh is incredible and should be the first thing which is cut by this new government as well as the Welsh Assembly.

i disagree with you, its our heritage, keep wales welsh,,, if a supermarket dont display welsh signs, burn it down, keep wales .welsh,,,,,,, i cant understand a word of it ,but, its our future at stake,,,, and i do wish i could speak the language,,,,,,,

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Patagonia's People: The Welsh - PATAGONIA-ARGENTINA.COM

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:31 pm

http://www.patagonia-argentina.com/i/co ... galesa.php

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Send them to a welsh school. They will be able to speak 2 languages and that will help with getting a job, also Welsh is a growing language and Children should be encouraged to learn the language of their country. There are plans for 3 new welsh schools to be opened in cardiff due to the demand and there are plans for more in south wales, hopefully soon there will be a lot more welsh speakers in this country!

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I spoke welsh before i could speak english. Important to keep the language alive in my opinion

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Iv always wished i could speak welsh if im honest it was first on my bunk off list at school.But iv made sure all my kids are welsh speakers and i love hearing them speak welsh.I remember listening to my twin sons aged 5 singing our anthem in the bath.Made me cry :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:38 pm

earnieblue wrote:Iv always wished i could speak welsh if im honest it was first on my bunk off list at school.But iv made sure all my kids are welsh speakers and i love hearing them speak welsh.I remember listening to my twin sons aged 5 singing our anthem in the bath.Made me cry :ayatollah:

thats good, :ayatollah:

Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Nid wyf yn siarad Cymraeg ond os byddwn yn cael y cyfle i byddai'r ddysgu'r iaith. Nid yw un iaith yn ddigon... :ayatollah:

(I am not a welsh speaker but if I would have the chance i would learn the language. one language isn't enough)

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:39 pm

loads of welsh speakers in canton.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:04 am

Can speak some, not fluent though and i am ashamed of that fact

Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:24 am

Being able to speak the language is a link to our history, our past and our future. I had the misfortune of being born in England. However I have learnt Welsh, though can’t speak it as well as I would like. My wife’s first language is Welsh as is my 4 year old son’s. I am so proud of the fact that he talks to me and his mum in Welsh. This makes us stand apart from the rest of the UK.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:19 am

Fluent in Welsh and it comes in handy when I deal with Welsh speaking clients in work.

Keep the language alive