Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Films that left you speechless

Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:49 pm

Two very good movies I've seen recently that have left me speechless

Deadmans shoes - film set in matlock with paddy considine, a soldier returns to his home village to get revenge on the local scallys who bullied his autistic brother player by toby kebell. Really good acting and a really gut wrenching twist at the end of the film. Highly recommend giving it a watch

Irreversible - French film where it's set in reverse order. Two men brutally kill a man in a nightclub with a fire extinguisher and as the film goes on you learn that the guy whose been killed is involved in raping a woman earlier in the night and these men are out for revenge. Very violent but gripping.

Mosul: on Netflix and all in Arabic but again a very good watch. Iraqi swat team members are searching the city of Mosul for what seems to be an unknown throughout the film until the end whilst having to fight ISIS soldiers. Very good film if you can get past the Arabic language and English sub titles

Any one seen these ?

Any gritty film recommendations?

Re: Films that left you speechless

Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 am

Midnight express an american slammed up in a turkish prison
And the elephant man
Both true stories.

Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:12 pm

I've heard that midnight Express is very good,

Similar type of film is a prayer before dawn, true story of Billy Moore in a thai prison

Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:15 pm

Dead Mans Shoes is an excellent film, been out a while now. Shane Meadows film. Same director as "This is England" i think

Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:57 pm

I just about to watch deadman shoes.

Memento was awesome, and pay it forward let me open mouthed.

Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:16 pm

Iceblue wrote:I just about to watch deadman shoes.

Memento was awesome, and pay it forward let me open mouthed.

Let us know what you think of it mate, well worth the watch

Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:22 pm

Unbelievable a true story on Netflix is really worth a watch

Also Inside Man which was on the BBC the good lady tells me...

Both superb viewing

:bluescarf:

Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:27 pm

I echo everything said about Midnight Express, if you haven't seen it then you definitely should.

Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 pm

Agree about Deadman’s Shoes. Very gritty

Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:16 am

"Southern comfort"
Was a great film also
bit like deliverance
AMERICAN TA SOLDIERS
In the swamps are getting picked off by hillbillies after killing a yocal the ta's have no live ammunition good film if you can find it from the 70s

Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:26 am

Eat The Rich, a British Film (Comicstrip Presents) about a South London gangster becoming Home Secretary. Possibly the funniest film I’ve ever seen.

Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:23 pm

Peter Cook/Dudley Moore the hound of the Baskervilles a master piece of British cinema

Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:38 pm

I echo the comments on Midnight Express it’s a classic.

Also loved Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.

Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:46 am

I just realised that Dead Mans Shoes isn't the film i thought. This is England is good enough though.

Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:35 pm

Nil by mouth - starring ray winstone.
American History X - ed Norton

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:30 pm

the wicker man (1973)....creepy and scarey....it's on bbc 4 in two weeks time

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:49 pm

blue for you wrote:Nil by mouth - starring ray winstone.

Good shout.
American history x is one of my favourites

Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:18 pm

The opening beach landing in saving private Ryan

Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:18 pm

welshrarebit wrote:The opening beach landing in saving private Ryan

Agree with you here, this generation dont realise how lucky they are. Hate to think how many young mendied that day

Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:20 pm

blue for you wrote:Nil by mouth - starring ray winstone.

American history x is some film

I would also like to add pulp fiction to my list of gritty films, up there as tarantinos best in my opinion

Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:45 am

Murder in the First starring Kevin Bacon, Christian Slater and Gary Oldman. All great actors but Bacon was superb in his portrayal of Henri Young, a 17 year old who was sent to prison for stealing $5 from a post office. He then ended up in Alcatraz where he murdered a fellow inmate and went on trial for murder in the first degree.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Brilliantly directed by Sergio Leone who was decades ahead of his time. And Clint Eastwood, has there ever been a cooler man on screen?

The Thing starring Kurt Russell. No CGI in this, just a brilliant special effects department.

Salom's Lot starring David Soul and James Mason. I first watched this when I was 12 years old, I didn't sleep for a fortnight waiting for the scratching sound on my bedroom window. Still gives me shivers just thinking about it.

Also got to mention Braveheart, Fight Club and Tarantino's Django Unchained.

Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:21 am

Saving Private Ryan, maybe because it was the fact I was in a cinema with surround sound. Seeing them trying to get off the boats onto the beaches left me speechless , imagine how it was in reality, for the brave soldiers who done it for real.

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:09 pm

MikeO76 wrote:Murder in the First starring Kevin Bacon, Christian Slater and Gary Oldman. All great actors but Bacon was superb in his portrayal of Henri Young, a 17 year old who was sent to prison for stealing $5 from a post office. He then ended up in Alcatraz where he murdered a fellow inmate and went on trial for murder in the first degree.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Brilliantly directed by Sergio Leone who was decades ahead of his time. And Clint Eastwood, has there ever been a cooler man on screen?

The Thing starring Kurt Russell. No CGI in this, just a brilliant special effects department.

Salom's Lot starring David Soul and James Mason. I first watched this when I was 12 years old, I didn't sleep for a fortnight waiting for the scratching sound on my bedroom window. Still gives me shivers just thinking about it.

Braveheart is a load of inaccurate nonsense that Scots Natz thinks a documentary

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:11 pm

corky wrote:Saving Private Ryan, maybe because it was the fact I was in a cinema with surround sound. Seeing them trying to get off the boats onto the beaches left me speechless , imagine how it was in reality, for the brave soldiers who done it for real.

In the beach scene everybody was in focus, normally it’s only the principal characters in the shot, with the background blurred. So it looked far more realistic.

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:58 pm

Jock wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:Murder in the First starring Kevin Bacon, Christian Slater and Gary Oldman. All great actors but Bacon was superb in his portrayal of Henri Young, a 17 year old who was sent to prison for stealing $5 from a post office. He then ended up in Alcatraz where he murdered a fellow inmate and went on trial for murder in the first degree.

Braveheart is a load of inaccurate nonsense that Scots Natz thinks a documentary

Yes it was but still a very entertaining and well shot film.

Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:02 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
Jock wrote:

true but Rob Roy is a better film.

Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:14 pm

Jock wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
Jock wrote:

true but Rob Roy is a better film.

It's a very good film but we'll agree to differ on this one :thumbup:

Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:06 pm

City of God.
Schindlers list.

But speechless id have to say "A Quiet Place"
Didn't want to make a noise so effectively speechless.

If u understand that gag, we can be friends :wave: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:02 pm

This is a great thread. I’m gonna be busy this Xmas.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:10 pm

Fight club the 1st time I watched it .