Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THIS DEBATE ABOUT ATMOSPHERE

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Here's what I think on the subject.

It's not the Club's fault (and hell will freeze over before they swap stands over), and it's not the new ground's fault (although I left my own soul over the road) - IT'S THE FANS FAULT.

Cardiff City has been more consistently successful over the last 10 years than at any time in my life (without winning the big prizes though DJ). Far too many fans now turn up at the stadium and sit on their bums expecting to be entertained. It's "sing when you're winning" syndrome and I hate it.

When I started watching the City, the fans took the responsibility to lift our team and intimidate the opposition. Ninian Park and the old Grange End was fantastic back in the day and even though we never made it out of the Second Division, we were known throughout the game as a passionate set of supporters. Those fancy Dan Europeans used to come over here and not know what hit 'em. Arsenal, Leeds and Everton in the Cup the same. I'll never forget a relegation decider against Palace that we had to get at least a draw from. We went a goal down early and would be relegated. These days a chorus of boos would have greeted the Palace goal and our players would have been hounded for every mistake and misplaced pass. Did the fans get on the players backs that night? Not a chance. They got behind them.Tony Villars (?) equalised and sent Palace and their big-mouth Malcolm Allison, down.

Later on in the dark days when the crowds were crap, the players were crap and the results were crap, the fans still did their bit. Man City and Nathan Blake's goal? What about the fans that day? Remind me, where were we in the League when we played Leeds in '02? Oh yeah, the 3rd Division and Leeds top of the First. The record book shows that Scotty Young won the game in injury time but that day, Leeds were beaten before they even took the field. The best and most intimidating atmosphere I've ever experienced and generated by us, the fans. We beat Leeds and our team scored the goals.

You say yeah but all that was in Ninian Park. Well, we managed some great atmosphere at CCS last season. The Jacks and the playoffs, what about the league game with Leicester when Gabor got sent off and Burkey was a limping passenger out on the wing. 9 fit men, a full back at CB and against a Leicester team who were playoff rivals. The crowd made a fantastic effort that night to will our team not to concede a goal and we didn't. Our passion carried the team to a fantastic result against all the odds.

For me, it's not to do with the new stadium, the way it's laid out or the stewarding. It's down to us the fans. Yes, there's lots of newbies but we should welcome them and show them how it's done, not try to blame them. Take a look at yourself, when that 1st whistle blows are you gonna give 100% unconditional passion and support or wait until you think the team deserves it? That's the problem. Too many successful seasons have led to a lazy bunch of passionless fans who turn up to be entertained. The game and the players have changed so much for the worse in recent years, maybe the fans have changed too much as well.

RANT OVER. :lol:

Re: THIS DEBATE ABOUT ATMOSPHERE

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Goood post , :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm

change the family stand with the canton and watch the atomsphere change! FACT !!

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Ben wrote:change the family stand with the canton and watch the atomsphere change! FACT !!

It ain't gonna happen, Ben. Get over it. :D

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Why dont the people who want to sing and dance... all sort out so their tickets are in the same place.. and they can keep singing and dancing all they like...

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:49 pm

quality post :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Far too many fans now turn up at the stadium and sit on their bums expecting to be entertained. It's "sing when you're winning" syndrome and I hate it.

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:51 pm

great post ...exactly what i think,its not the ground but the fans ,some of the games last year as u say jacks, and leicester were awesome ...so its all about us shouting ....when theres noise in the new place its just as good ......NINIANS gone get over it, way to many live in the past ...as a club we have to move on if we still had ninian and got promoted the league would never had let US up!!!!

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:53 pm

We should start a petition for flares.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Karl wrote:We should start a petition for flares.

When people wore them in the 70's, the atmosphere was great. You may have a point there but can we keep the ban on platform shoes? :lol:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Mike, If 4,000 Fans were in Ninian Park and We Scored we made one hell of a noise, True ?
If Ninian Park had had 22,000 Fans in there week in week out, WHAT WOULD THE ATMOSPHERE OFF BEEN LIKE ?
I SAY AMAZING.

Yes there were many dull days in there, but City were in Division 4(Dungeon League) for 9 years, imagine being in Ninian Park with This Team.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Ninian Park was special but at the CCS we have had great atmospheres like Leicester, Jacks and a few others so its has to be down to the fans. The CCS doesnt change from game to game just the fans do.

Have to say I agree with the first post totally and I could see the same at Ninian Park from the last couple of seasons, it was getting quieter and quieter. The higher up the leagues we go the more fans we get and the stranger the atmosphere gets.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Mike, If 4,000 Fans were in Ninian Park and We Scored we made one hell of a noise, True ?
If Ninian Park had had 22,000 Fans in there week in week out, WHAT WOULD THE ATMOSPHERE OFF BEEN LIKE ?
I SAY AMAZING.

Yes there were many dull days in there, but City were in Division 4(Dungeon League) for 9 years, imagine being in Ninian Park with This Team.

Annis, I'm old enough to remember when we used to pull in big crowds at NP fairly consistently :old: and yes, it was AMAZING. Crowd surges on the old Grange End and when we scored it felt like the old wooden floor was gonna give way. :lol:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Dreamlike or Chic wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Mike, If 4,000 Fans were in Ninian Park and We Scored we made one hell of a noise, True ?
I SAY AMAZING.

Annis, I'm old enough to remember when we used to pull in big crowds at NP fairly consistently :old: and yes, it was AMAZING. Crowd surges on the old Grange End and when we scored it felt like the old wooden floor was gonna give way. :lol:

And those GREAT GREAT ATMOSPHERES and MEMORIES WILL NEVER GO AWAY Mike :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:16 pm

In the Grange End at Ninian an atmosphere could be created due to the fact the guys could stand next to each other. We created a similar atmosphere at Barnsley this weekend because we could stand/sit next to each other.

I personally think we need to arrange a standing/singing area in CCS. I would say the 2 blocks next to the away section then only say the 10 back rows of those blocks.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:58 pm

compared to the nineties, the blow is 5 times stronger and the whizz is 10 times weaker - no wonder the atmosphere has gone downhill.
;)

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:58 pm

IMO there are times where it is quiet, I put this down to people being spread all over the ground. For instance, in the old Grandstand block A was loud, the Grange end was loud, lower Grandstand and parts of the Bob Bank - Why ? Because you could move (within reason) where you wanted, creating pockets of noise which encouraged others to make noise.

Now there are small pockets of these fans. I sit in the Grandstand, up towards the family stand and it is quiet, certainly quieter than I would like. The club has missed a trick, I know when Derby moved to Pride Park they allowed fans to move after the first year and allowed you to specify a seat, even if it was sold and the person renewing was given the option of swapping, allowing like minded people to sit together - perhaps if enough people agree, it should be suggested to the Trust.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Dreamlike or Chic wrote:
Ben wrote:change the family stand with the canton and watch the atomsphere change! FACT !!

It ain't gonna happen, Ben. Get over it. :D

GET OVER IT? ffs, i know its not gonna happen, i was pointing out if they did move it would genarate a better atmosphere ffs

as for "remember the leciester game" that was purley down to what was at stake, at night, if it was at ninian it would have been just as good if not better

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 pm

I can't see us getting a "stand" again..... but how about the option of free seats? By this I mean you can sit/stand where you wish. Do you think this would encourage more like minded fans to group together and maybe increase the noise and atmos? :?:

Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 pm

as for "remember the leciester game" that was purley down to what was at stake, at night, if it was at ninian it would have been just as good if not better

so it was down to the fans?? so the point is the fans make the atmosphere and it has nothing to do with the concrete that makes the stadium (that doesnt move from game to game by the way)
The stadium didnt change from the dull games did it? only the fans change

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Another Good DEBATE :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: