Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Willie McKay settlement ‘

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:03 pm

Emiliano Sala: Cardiff City and football agent Willie McKay reach settlement five years after plane disaster

The hearing was meant to happen tomorrow but it has been cancelled.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=204226

Wednesday 7th February 2024

“ The terms of the settlement are confidential. “

Sky Sports News attended a preliminary hearing last week, where McKay failed to have the proceedings delayed.

A statement from Willie McKay said: "Out of respect for the family of Emiliano Sala, I felt it was necessary to confirm that Cardiff City FC have reached an agreement with me regarding their claim against Nantes FC.

Cardiff City board will now go after Nantes FC to recover their money and losses they have incurred.

Cardiff City and football agent Willie McKay have reached an out-of-court settlement over his involvement in the 2019 Emiliano Sala transfer, on the eve of the first day of their hearing.

The problem is Willie Mckays companies don’t exist anymore and McKay has no assets.

Sky Sports News previously reported McKay was being sued by Cardiff in order to obtain information about his involvement in the Sala deal.

Sala was due to complete a club-record fee to Cardiff from Nantes during the January transfer window but died after his private plane crashed over the English Channel.

Sky Sports News has previously reported McKay and his son arranged the private plane for Sala.

In June 2023, Cardiff launched legal proceedings against Nantes in France, where they are seeking damages for the transfer and as part of the proceedings in France, the club were attempting to sue McKay to understand his involvement in the transfer.

According to a source close to the case, Cardiff also argue they would have avoided relegation if Sala had played for the club and are seeking damages for losses in revenue from the relegation.

As part of the proceedings in France, Nantes claim McKay had no involvement in the transfer, which Cardiff dispute.

A hearing was due to take place on February 8, but Sky Sports News has been told this hearing was cancelled after the parties reached an out-of-court settlement.

“ The terms of the settlement are confidential. “

Sky Sports News attended a preliminary hearing last week, where McKay failed to have the proceedings delayed.

A statement from Willie McKay said: "Out of respect for the family of Emiliano Sala, I felt it was necessary to confirm that Cardiff City FC have reached an agreement with me regarding their claim against Nantes FC.

"I have, throughout this process, provided evidence to assist the Dorset Coroner, Dorset Police, Civil Aviation Authority and the Air Accidents Investigation Board and, always acted openly and honestly during all the investigations into the tragic death of Emiliano.

"My family and myself, have endured endless unfounded allegations and accusations, but we have always known that we were innocent of any wrongdoing. Throughout all the above investigations, we have been found to be innocent of any wrongdoing of any kind leading up to the awful events on the 21 January 2019.
"

Capital Law, lawyers for Cardiff City, told Sky Sports News: "The club is pleased with the outcome and remains committed to recovering the losses it has suffered as a result of FCN's negligence."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/13066149/emiliano-sala-cardiff-city-and-football-agent-willie-mckay-reach-settlement-five-years-after-plane-disaster
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Willie McKay settlement

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:21 pm

Sounds like the club have got what they want which is a smoking gun to implicate Nantes.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:22 pm

Here's what I think happened. He's handed over everything Cardiff wanted and it will help Cardiff to get their monies back and there case against Nantes. If he was involved, Nantes will end up being liable.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:34 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:Sounds like the club have got what they want which is a smoking gun to implicate Nantes.

Agree.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:37 pm

wez1927 wrote:Here's what I think happened. He's handed over everything Cardiff wanted and it will help Cardiff to get their monies back and there case against Nantes. If he was involved, Nantes will end up being liable.

Hopefully that’s the case Wez :clap:

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:43 pm

I believe the case was for handing over documents to Cardiff

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:44 pm

Spilt his guts hopefully.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:46 pm

wez1927 wrote:Here's what I think happened. He's handed over everything Cardiff wanted and it will help Cardiff to get their monies back and there case against Nantes. If he was involved, Nantes will end up being liable.

I agree Wez, City could not get money of him so he has agreed to hand over all the paperwork etc

Willie Mckay is a bankrupt.

City have so far spent well over £30mill plus in transfer fee, fines, interest, court costs and Solicitors & Barristers.

We have had approx £10mill back through the insurance.

City are now taking Nantes to a Civil Court Case.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:11 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I agree Wez, City could not get money of him so he has agreed to hand over all the paperwork etc

City have so far spent well over £30mill plus in transfer fee, fines, interest, court costs and Solicitors & Barristers.

https://cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopi ... 2&t=204226

Hopefully we get all that money back and it gets invested in thecteam as it will be able to be used for transfers as its already been account for

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:12 pm

great shout if true nantes are about to loose a whole lot of money

Re: ‘ Willie McKay settlement ‘

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:35 pm

We all know the bloke is financially bent.

I blame the club on a lot of things, but can’t blame them for the stuff this bloke has done.

He’s a mate of Warnock’s. I was told this days after the Sala news and said it on here but was slated.

Fact is Warnock and this leech were and have been in it together.

My opinion is he should be in prison for life, he heavily contributed to the death of an innocent individual.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:48 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Hopefully we get all that money back and it gets invested in thecteam as it will be able to be used for transfers as its already been account for

Do we know how much Cardiff want? If it's the £60m I've heard Nantes won't have that kind money so we'll probably have to except it in annual payments over x amount of years. Or maybe a player or 3.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 pm

MikeO76 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Do we know how much Cardiff want? If it's the £60m I've heard Nantes won't have that kind money so we'll probably have to except it in annual payments over x amount of years. Or maybe a player or 3.
We could take the club into administration. Or even bust it will get paid .

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:53 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:We all know the bloke is financially bent.

I blame the club on a lot of things, but can’t blame them for the stuff this bloke has done.

He’s a mate of Warnock’s. I was told this days after the Sala news and said it on here but was slated.

My opinion is he should be in prison for life, he heavily contributed to the death of an innocent individual.

Spot on Ned.

But don’t forget Willie Mckays two Sons were in our U21’s team and Warnock was his mate.

I will say it again as I did say we would lose all the Legal Court Cases ( I was proven right on everyone one of them) , Nantes will not be found guilty of any of this as he was not their player when he went back to France, they are liable for nothing.

Sala went back of his own accord and did it for his own personal reasons.

Don’t forget for two yrs our board try to deny Emiliano Sala was not our player.

Nantes are not liable for Sala after he became our player.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:54 pm

wez1927 wrote:
MikeO76 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

We could take the club into administration. Or even bust it will get paid .

I was just going to say that they will probably do a Swansea now and declare bankruptcy to avoid paying us anything or at the most pennies on the Euro. For Tan it's not about the money anyway but saving face which is way more important than any amount we would get.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:56 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

But don’t forget Willie Mckays two Sons were in our U21’s team and Warnock was his mate.

I will say it again as I did say we would lose all the Legal Court Cases ( I was proven right on everyone one of them) , Nantes will not be found guilty of any of this as he was not their player when he went back to France, they are liable for nothing.

Don’t forget for two yrs our board try to deny Emiliano Sala was not our player.

I dont agree with you at all , premier league and pfa still don't think he was our player but this case isn't about if he was our player or not it's moved on since then , it's the use of unlicensed agents and the liability of that .

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:59 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

I will say it again as I did say we would lose all the Legal Court Cases , Nantes will not be found guilty of any of this as he was not their player when he went back to France, they are liable for nothing.

i was about to ask this how can they be in trouble if he wasnt there player ? he went back to say goodbye and arrange a few things so what would nantes get into trouble for ? am i missing something ? i thought that only the insurance and mckay would get us any money ? courts have already cleared nantes im sure of it ?

Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:59 pm

Ultimately Nantes used a unlicensed agent to sell there player , the agent then organised an illegal flight proven in court! , the player (asset) was lost due to there unlicensed agents actions . It doesn't matter who the player was registered too ,

Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:01 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

I dont agree with you at all , premier league and pfa still don't think he was our player but this case isn't about if he was our player or not it's moved on since then , it's the use of unlicensed agents and the liability of that .

You did not agree with me before every Court Case and we lost All three.

We are having to do any Civil (private) Court Case as we lost all the others.

This will be costly to us and We won’t win.

I will leave it there as I did all those other cases.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:05 pm

wez1927 wrote:Ultimately Nantes used a unlicensed agent to sell there player , the agent then organised an illegal flight proven in court! , the player (asset) was lost due to there unlicensed agents actions . It doesn't matter who the player was registered too ,

but the other courts ruled against us so why would this be any different ? even if true using unlicensed agents is a points deduction for a club nothing more ?

Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:10 pm

kyle08 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:Ultimately Nantes used a unlicensed agent to sell there player , the agent then organised an illegal flight proven in court! , the player (asset) was lost due to there unlicensed agents actions . It doesn't matter who the player was registered too ,

but the other courts ruled against us so why would this be any different ? even if true using unlicensed agents is a points deduction for a club nothing more ?

Only on fifa registration not on other aspects they never even looked at the sale contract. This is totally different to any other case this is in the civil courts .

Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

Annis we won against the insurance company , we've won aginst McKay today these are now civil courts and are nothing to do with player registration. These out of court settlements are coz the likelihood is that we have a case I have no doubt that Nantes will end upbsettling out of court due to McKays involvement the evidence is damming .

Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:14 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

Annis we won against the insurance company , we've won aginst McKay today these are now civil courts and are nothing to do with player registration. These out of court settlements are coz the likelihood is that we have a case I have no doubt that Nantes will end upbsettling out of court due to McKays involvement the evidence is damming .

McKay was to demand to see all the paper work and rightly so.

The insurance company tried to say we had not insured Sala properly, we never got the full value

Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:27 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

We know you’ll stick with Tan on it all.

Said my bit. Like I said, actually don’t blame Tan for what happened because it’s Warnock and his mates. I said this days after Sala signed those contracts to be our player.

What I do blame Tan for is costing us millions in court cases that we didn’t have a prayer of winning.

He just have legal advisors that he ignored.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:06 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

The insurance company tried to say we had not insured Sala properly, we never got the full value

You can't argue we lost these cases. You reckon it was £10 million.. should the club not have bothered? With McKays evidence, it'll be interesting to see where this goes..

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:10 pm

JB1 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

You can't argue we lost these cases. You reckon it was £10 million.. should the club not have bothered? With McKays evidence, it'll be interesting to see where this goes..

It’ll go nowhere.

There is zero evidence of Nantes doing any wrong in this situation.

They’re corrupt in other ways but not this.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:17 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

I wouldn’t like to call this and whatever happens I don’t think this is as cut and dried as Forever Blue has stated.

Firstly this is the second case that the club hasn’t “lost”. The case against the insurers got them £10m (as far as we can guess) and now this case against McKay has got them at least documentation to help their case against Nantes and who knows what that contains ?

In addition, the statement from McKay seems to allude to him helping the club in their claim against Nantes. That may well refer to the documentation but could also include either a witness statement from him or a commitment to be a witness for the club at any subsequent hearing.

If we’ve paid out £30m so far as claimed in other posts, we’ve already got £10m and if we win/settle the Nantes case for £20m or more then we would have restored our good name and reputation for a minimum zero net outlay. In all likelihood if we do negotiate/win such an outcome then it will also include a contribution to those costs.

I’m not saying that any of this is certain but I do think, and have said all along, that there is enough of a question mark to make all of these cases absolutely justified to safeguard our clubs finances.

Let’s see how this Nantes case goes now but I have a feeling that they may well want to settle this case before trial after this development and whilst we know we’ll never get anything like the sums claimed we may well get enough to give the manager some money to spend in the summer and stay within FFP.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:28 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

I wouldn’t like to call this and whatever happens I don’t think this is as cut and dried as Forever Blue has stated.

Firstly this is the second case that the club hasn’t “lost”. The case against the insurers got them £10m (as far as we can guess) and now this case against McKay has got them at least documentation to help their case against Nantes and who knows what that contains ?

In addition, the statement from McKay seems to allude to him helping the club in their claim against Nantes. That may well refer to the documentation but could also include either a witness statement from him or a commitment to be a witness for the club at any subsequent hearing.

If we’ve paid out £30m so far as claimed in other posts, we’ve already got £10m and if we win/settle the Nantes case for £20m or more then we would have restored our good name and reputation for a minimum zero net outlay. In all likelihood if we do negotiate/win such an outcome then it will also include a contribution to those costs.

I’m not saying that any of this is certain but I do think, and have said all along, that there is enough of a question mark to make all of these cases absolutely justified to safeguard our clubs finances.

Let’s see how this Nantes case goes now but I have a feeling that they may well want to settle this case before trial after this development and whilst we know we’ll never get anything like the sums claimed we may well get enough to give the manager some money to spend in the summer and stay within FFP.

Agree with you .

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:43 pm

There are some who will hate this but Tan is playing the long game and will come out in front though we may never know by how much.

Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:55 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on Ned.

We know you’ll stick with Tan on it all.

Said my bit. Like I said, actually don’t blame Tan for what happened because it’s Warnock and his mates. I said this days after Sala signed those contracts to be our player.

What I do blame Tan for is costing us millions in court cases that we didn’t have a prayer of winning.

He just have legal advisors that he ignored.

I disagree with you here.I don't think he'll be out of pocket once this court case is over but had to go through it properly.Now this is not in a football court the outcome may well be different.The club now have Willie Mackay in pocket and I think Tan will sue for all the expenditure pursuing Nantes through the courts.