Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IS IT THE MANAGER OR THE PLAYERS FAULT?

Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:48 pm

For me Bulut is not the messiah some people think he is, he has no plan B and his tactics are shocking.
Yes we've had a few good wins, but the majority of those we did not deserve.

He is the not the answer In my opinion, but who else would come here, which is sad to say.

Or are the players simply not good enough to understand what Bulut is trying to do.

We're a shambles at home currently so somethings not right.

So who's fault is that?

Re: IS IT THE MANAGER OR THE PLAYERS FAULT.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:56 pm

We have been a shambles at home for a few seasons now.

So the players do have to take responsibility for it. A lot of them have been around that whole time.

But the manager is also obviously responsible for results and performances.

So who is at fault? A bit of both really.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:24 pm

Since Tomlin I can't recall any of our players not putting in a shift

Ralls would kick a brick wall for us but father time is nipping at his arse.
Wintle is a top pro, its not his fault his first reaction is not a forward pass, he is a safety first, shuffle it on type.
Etete was wrestling players yesterday with so much more brute power, he didn't give up he was bullied.
Bowler gasses after every sprint which is pretty slow by championship standards, he is not a great athlete

I could go on but the players are lower championship or league one. Bulut doesn't seem to be able to adapt a system to suit what we are good at (whatever) or hide what we are not great at.
If we don't have a targetman then don't play with one, its not the law that you should. Play 2 up top and split them to move the centre halfs, confuse the opposition. Play a version of 442 and drop the ball into space, but Bulut seems reluctant to try anything but a defensive 4231

I think he is finding this league which is considered higher than the Turkish superliga (Scotland with better kebabs) tougher than he thought. I think he is having doubts

Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:41 pm

100% Erol Buluts Tactics

Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:51 pm

Are the five new recruits the same players Bulut wanted at the start of the window? Highly unlikely.
Have any of the new recruits played regular first football this season.No.
What I'm seeing is a club playing catch up.The like of Preston have left us behind.
Whose fault is it for our current predicitment.100% tan.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:55 pm

Bulut’s plan A is terrible, let alone his plan B. Doesn’t play his best players and doesn’t play to the strengths of the players he does pick.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:58 pm

Bulut has changed the way we play from the start of the season where we could counter attack quick,now he wants us to play the pass them to death football out from the back and we don’t have the right players.
Th manager’s fault unfortunately.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:07 pm

Has to be buluts? He sets the formation picks the players (not tan) :o it's clear hes been playing a defensive style of play... but there again looking at 2nd half yesterday those tactics changed with Rambo on pitch so was it bulut or Rambo that initiated that change and will it carry on ? While its bulut tactics its players who fail to to cross ball and get down wings when given opportunity.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm

When - or should I say if - we have a fully fit squad, we aren't far short of having a decent side. Far stronger than any side since we got to the plays offs. Unfortunately I have no confidence in this manager in getting them to gel.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:11 pm

Meite 49 goals in 107 starts for ex-Championship club Reading - 0ne strike in 18 League starts for Cardiff would suggest Bulut is not coaching him correctly or utilising tactics to display his strengths.

Remember Lamouchi got us getting the ball in to the box for Strikers to score goals.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Meite 49 goals in 107 starts for ex-Championship club Reading - 0ne strike in 18 League starts for Cardiff would suggest Bulut is not coaching him correctly or utilising tactics to display his strengths.

Remember Lamouchi got us getting the ball in to the box for Strikers to score goals.

Lamouchi would have got us relegated
if it wasn't for Reading having points deducted.Morison in my opinion brought the best loan players to the club.Doyle
Hughil etc

Re: IS IT THE MANAGER OR THE PLAYERS FAULT?

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:31 pm

You’re forgetting that he hasn’t had a chance to build any sort of side yet, with different personnel in again. That takes time, with the Manager usually able to get the players he wants. Doubtful if that is the case either. Wouldn’t blame Bulut if he walked from this shambles of a club.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:39 pm

I think that our current squad is actually not too bad.

We have a number of current international players, a number of loanees from Premier League teams, a genuine legend in Aaron Ramsey (albeit in the twilight of his career), a number of solid Championship players including players like Grant, Meite and Diedhou who have scored regularly at this level in the recent past.

I cannot understand the suggestion that we have a squad full of League 1 players - I think that if we had a better manager he'd be able to get a LOT more out of this squad of players.

As to who that manager might be? Well I think that Eustace would have been a decent appointment. I think Mowbray would have been able to do more with our squad then he can with Birmingham and even Rowett the snowman would get more from them.

For me it's clearly Bulut's problem and it looks like the players are confused with what they are being asked to do. They also know that if they are having a decent game chances are they'll be taken off before the end and start the next game on the bench.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:42 pm

I think we may be missing an orthodox wide man but I'm not gonna throw my toys out just yet.There are signs there though Rambo looks way off it at the moment.I'd also like to see the new striker given a start and maybe start Colwill with Siopsis and Turnbull making the 3 in midfield.I also thought the centre half was a bit rusty though he looks to have a pass on him.Something not quite right at the moment but I'm hopeful the gaffer will sort it.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:48 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:Bulut’s plan A is terrible, let alone his plan B. Doesn’t play his best players and doesn’t play to the strengths of the players he does pick.

You wanted to give him a contact in the week had you must be a tan licker now :lol:

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Meite 49 goals in 107 starts for ex-Championship club Reading - 0ne strike in 18 League starts for Cardiff would suggest Bulut is not coaching him correctly or utilising tactics to display his strengths.

Agree meite is better than etete all day long

Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:49 pm

He is a better manager than we have had for a few years however, I am not sure any manager would be successful if he is not backed. Erol was clear we needed to bring in up to 6 quality players and at the beginning of January. We were told he knew who he wanted but he clearly was not backed to the extent he expected. Hence all the recent comments from him.
I actually thought we started well on Saturday and then Preston scored completely against the run of play and then did it again. I expected us to continue how we had started but there was nothing!
I thought we would look differently in the second half but none of the substitutions made an impact with the exception of Ruben (what does he have to do to keep his place!).
We were again punchless up front.
I know I will get shot down for this but I am not convinced by either Goutas or Siopis lately. There is no way the Preston player should of been able to go past them so easily for the first goal. They both started the season well but both seem to be struggling at the moment.
Kion got man-handled so much in the first half with no protection from the ref (which was frustrating) but he give nothing back in return. He has to be more physical!
I know most of this has been said before!

Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:00 pm

Just replied in another thread, but we are 23rd out of 24 in "touches in oppositions box" at the time of writing.

I'd say both players and manager own a slice of blame... but countless times we have a chance to move forward and it ends up with Goutas is frustrating.

Ultimately, Bulut will get the bullet out of anyone (I should be in fleet street!!)

Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:12 pm

His set up at home our questionable for a good while now imo. Although this squad aint up to pushing on anymore with the cheaper down the wanted list options which is what we got bar one buy at the end of January lets be honest here we ain't a top end team with most these players and most know that really. I really don't know what fans are expecting these days. Baffles me.

Let see realistic here we have done better than last season so im not expecting anything different with the season thats left.

What's a new manager going to get the same freebies and loans mainly that's already here and a maybe have some new players come end of season ready for new season although he will be promised money and be let down no doubt otherwise why would any manager want to come to the Cardiff city conveyor belt to not even have time to get his own team he acutally wants. Yet the club keep saying to us all " building a long term plan" under every manager. Which is total bollocks imo :roll:

It will be the same old then with a new manager after a few wins and he's a genius talk yet a few defeats the pitch forks will be out. So it repeats again and again.

No plan b
He got it wrong
Players are shit
Blah blah blah f*cking blah

Same old shit. Untill the board f**k off and somebody pays tan what he wants all the above will carry on that's the realistic way im lookng at it. :bluescarf:

Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:48 pm

If the players are shit there’s little point planning anything.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:52 pm

Bulut's fault, end of!

He is not making the best use of the players at his disposal.

We are awful to watch at home - we only play football in the first two thirds of the pitch - 23rd in touches in the opponents box out of 24 teams says it all.

Relegation form. Confidence in Bulut evaporated and I think the players have lost confidence because of him. Any off the cuff individuality that our forward players had is being drained out of them by Bulut saying: defend first.

Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:00 pm

Here is where the game is fooooooked

""23 touches in oppositions box"

Who gives a rabbits 'arris about touches/passes/completed anywhere on the pitch

The name of the game is putting the ball in the net!!

I was told the other week, this is high on Bulut's agenda

We deffo need a good striker coach

Earnie?

Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:07 pm

Actually, touches in the opponents box is probably the most important point. If there's fk all touches in the opposition penalty box that means you're not getting enough / any shots in the box! It's not rocket science! :-)

Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 am

stickywicket wrote:

if it wasn't for Reading having points deducted.Morison in my opinion brought the best loan players to the club.Doyle
Hughil etc

I never said he would not off, but he got the ball
in to the box to score goals for a striker.

So would Bulut on the last 4 months of shite got us relegated.

So are you happy with the last 4 months of Buluts football and management???

You will do the usual now runaway and come back on another thread tomorrow.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 am

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237827

Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am

Bulut picks the team
Bulut sets the formation
Bulut picks the tactics
Bulut makes the substitutions
Bulut organises training sessions

We are:
Too slow
Too defensive
Too predictable
Too negative
Very little movement off the ball
Very few crosses into the box

This squad is probably the best set of players we've had in the last 4 years but at times it's worse than when Mick McCarthy was in charge.

100% Bulut's fault. He's out of his depth and needs to admit it instead of blaming the players.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:35 am

stickywicket wrote:

Hughil etc

Damage was done before Lamouchi was appointed and at the time of his appointment he already knew of Readings points deduction so knew his target.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:29 am

MikeO76 wrote:Bulut picks the team
Bulut sets the formation
Bulut picks the tactics
Bulut makes the substitutions
Bulut organises training sessions

We are:
Too slow
Too defensive
Too predictable
Too negative
Very little movement off the ball
Very few crosses into the box

This squad is probably the best set of players we've had in the last 4 years but at times it's worse than when Mick McCarthy was in charge.

100% Bulut's fault. He's out of his depth and needs to admit it instead of blaming the players.

I'm with you 100%, it is Bulut's fault.

It's also total rubbish that the players, just because they're mostly loans or freebies are sub-standard. They are not. They're being mis-managed and tactically confused leading to them becoming demoralised and lacking in confidence.

As much as I dislike the manager merry-go-round, Bulut has to go unless there is a massive turnaround in performance between now and the end of the season. The players are capable but I'm not sure he is.

Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:39 pm

Do you create a system and then try to fill it with the players you have....

Or

Look at your players and then develop a system to suit what you have....

Warnock does the latter, I tend to agree with him. For example we don't have enough pace in our wingbacks

Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:52 pm

This is the Championship not the Prem. You don't need bags of pace to play a front foot 442 system - you just need proficient skill and and discipline from your players and that'll do.