Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Erol Bulut questioned on why not use Grant as an out and out

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:21 am

Erol Bulut questioned on why not use Grant as an out and out Striker as in 2021-22 Season, Grant scored 18 Championships goals.

Erol Bulut: “ Karlan Grant “

"He played striker before, I know.”

"But how I see and how I analyse him, he scored many goals from the left, getting in behind the defence to go one against one.

"I think two seasons he scored 20 goals or 19 goals, because he uses his quickness, but it was three or four years ago and football changes in three years. Every year football is changing.

"Sometimes you don't have so much space in behind. When a team is leading, like Preston, they drop back and you have to pass in front of them, so then where can you run?

"You need different qualities, you need small, quick passes to come from the side to make shots. When one team presses you, you can use [Grant] in behind the defence.”

"We used him once at Sheffield Wednesday, in the No.10 when he could get into the half spaces and he scored there and had a good game. But if we do that, we then have to change the whole front part.

"If KG plays up front, then we will lose all the high balls. So we cannot play crosses, we always have to play the ball on the ground or in behind. So we have to analyse that also.

"At West Brom, our analysts thought we could come with (Josh) Wilson-Esbrand and (Perry) Ng with crosses into the tall guys (Famara Diedhiou and Yakou Meite), heading and getting second balls with the three midfielders. But that didn't work!"
ATTACHMENTS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Erol Bulut questioned on why not use Grant as an out and

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:38 am

Is the gaffer serious, we loose the high ball and getting in behind if we play grant up front. Bulut needs to take long hard look at the past 10 games or so and realise that we are doing nothing from out wide and having very few chances in the box. When we do get a chance in the box it normally comes to nothing as the likes of Etete can't seem to hit a barn door from 5yds out.
EROL ...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ignore all the crap your analysts are telling you and get GRANT through the middle. Get two decent wingers on the field like Bowler and Wilson then get Colwill and Turnbull playing on the front foot with Siopis doing the dirty work.
I honestly can't keep watching this crap week in week out it's driving me crazy. Most weeks we turn out like a pub team that train together once a week, no real shape or urgency with even less idea how to get to the final third.
And as for giving Wintle the captains arm band well i am truly shocked, I see the captain as being a leader a motivator one that leads by example with passion for the badge, NOT WINTLE he's a bench plater at best. Rant over :banghead: :banghead:

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 am

"If KG plays up front, then we will lose all the high balls. So we cannot play crosses, we always have to play the ball on the ground or in behind. So we have to analyse that also."

1) We lose all the high balls anyway
2) We don't cross the ball anyway

What team is he watching?

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 am

The more Bulut talks the worse it gets .

Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:22 am

The line that upset me was "Our analysts thought"

This is one of the problems of modern-day football. There is too much computer use - and, in my opinion, a few hours video means nothing when compared to what the club already has at its disposal:

20,000 supporters watching a 90-minute match = 30,000 "Analyst Hours" or nearly 1.4 million hours per season.

Listen to us the supporters!!!

The club might not pay us but we are experts in what we do because we watch so much football between us all. Far more than any video taken of a previous match.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:28 am

So he’s too stubborn to try it. The reasons he has offered hold no weight.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:31 am

Paul Keevil wrote:The line that upset me was "Our analysts thought"

This is one of the problems of modern-day football. There is too much computer use - and, in my opinion, a few hours video means nothing when compared to what the club already has at its disposal:

20,000 supporters watching a 90-minute match = 30,000 "Analyst Hours" or nearly 1.4 million hours per season.

The club might not pay us but we are experts in what we do because we watch so much football between us all. Far more than any video taken of a previous match.

I’d agree about the analyst point, we are way too clinical in our approach, and can’t adapt to change and it’s not working.

I don’t agree that any manager should listen to supporters, especially not ours haha.

I’d agree about the analyst point, we are way too clinical in our approach, and can’t adapt to change and it’s not working.

I don’t agree that any manager should listen to supporters, especially not ours haha.

"I know he can play up front but he gets goals from left wing"

Goals from Grant as left wing all season: 4
Goals from ALL OF our strikers in last 17 games: 0

Our last goal from a striker was Ugbo at Preston. 25th November.

Ugbo has left since, and scored 3 in 7 games.

Bulut, you're digging your own grave, mate!

Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:54 am

Underhill1927 wrote:

I truly believe in this. I read in a book, on Alan Sugar, some years back where he suggested "Always listen to free advice"

Some Suggestions

- Blue (with yellow/white stripe shirts) we would sell thousands of them
- The Wiggle. People are expressing dissatisfaction. Please the customer base and change it.
- We are averaging 23,000 crowds (18,000 on a Tuesday) in a 33,000-seater stadium. Change the price structure and fill it.
- Even if that meant charging £10 for the red seats. Fill the stadium. Build a larger core base. (People will buy drinks as well)
- To get promoted we need a 20-goal-per-season striker.
- Formation we need to play with 2 strikers and build the formation around scoring goals - not conceding them
- I would rather win 3-2 or 4-3 than lose 1-0
- Academy - we need to invest in this and have a solid five-year plan
- Do what Southampton did in the 80s and hold courses at High Schools and capture some of the talent.
- Back to the first team - Remember you can only score in the opponent's half. Forget this play it out from the GK rubbish.
- Ron Healey/Bill Irwin approach. Get the ball upfield quickly.

These are just some from me. 20,000 others perhaps share some of these views

We do not need to be a Premier League Club to make the club rich. If we play attractive football in the Championship, with a price structure that guarantees 33,000 sell outs, we will still achieve it.

RANT OVER!! :lol:

Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:05 pm

These comments from Bulut really don’t help him.

He says Grant did well at number ten against Sheffield Wednesday but he won’t do it again because it has to change the whole attacking system?

The attacking system is clearly not working, so it needs to be change.

In my opinion, Grant has been one of our best players this season. The amount of running he does is unbelievable and he always plays the whole game.

It’s also obvious to many (everyone except Bulut it seems) that Grant needs to be played in a central attacking role. Going by these comments from the manager, he won’t play him there though.

Sounds like he intends to keep the same attacking system until the end of the season, so we will keep on not scoring goals.

Bulut said himself in that quote that Grant played very well when he played in a central attacking role, but the manager won’t do it because he can’t be bothered to change the attacking system.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:
Underhill1927 wrote:

I truly believe in this. I read in a book, on Alan Sugar, some years back where he suggested "Always listen to free advice"

Some Suggestions

- The Wiggle. People are expressing dissatisfaction. Please the customer base and change it.
- We are averaging 23,000 crowds (18,000 on a Tuesday) in a 33,000-seater stadium. Change the price structure and fill it.
- Even if that meant charging £10 for the red seats. Fill the stadium. Build a larger core base. (People will buy drinks as well)
- Formation we need to play with 2 strikers and build the formation around scoring goals - not conceding them
- Do what Southampton did in the 80s and hold courses at High Schools and capture some of the talent.
- Back to the first team - Remember you can only score in the opponent's half. Forget this play it out from the GK rubbish.

We do not need to be a Premier League Club to make the club rich. If we play attractive football in the Championship, with a price structure that guarantees 33,000 sell outs, we will still achieve it.

Haha good points mate and I’m all for consultation with fans.

The problem is Tan sees us as customers but only when it suits him. He is a dictator.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:32 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:
Underhill1927 wrote:

Some Suggestions

Haha food points mate and I’m all for consultation with fans.

The problem is Tan sees us as customers but only when it suits him. He is a dictator.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:31 pm

SB 1927 wrote:"I know he can play up front but he gets goals from left wing"

Goals from Grant as left wing all season: 4
Goals from ALL OF our strikers in last 17 games: 0

Our last goal from a striker was Ugbo at Preston. 25th November.

Ugbo has left since, and scored 3 in 7 games.

Bulut, you're digging your own grave, mate!

It would be a joke if it wasn't so true :banghead: :banghead:

Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:49 pm

I think hes fine on the left, biggest problem is when JC gets the ball he rarely looks up and see grants run, hes slow on the ball and more often stops goes back or sidways with the pass

Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:29 pm

Logie wrote:I think hes fine on the left, biggest problem is when JC gets the ball he rarely looks up and see grants run, hes slow on the ball and more often stops goes back or sidways with the pass

We haven't scored a home goal since Boxing Day. He needs to change it...quickly!

Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Bulut said to the media about his tactics / formation:

"But mostly, it's to use the sides and come with crosses in behind the defence."

The above is not happening and that's obvious because of where we are ranked in crosses and goals in this division.

We've clearly been sussed out because the system stopped working from November-ish onwards. Ok, its partly because we don't have a goalscoring centre forward.

It's so frustrating - why can't he put Bowler on his natural side as then, you never know, he might get to the byline and cut back a dangerous cross!
Why the inverted wingers all the time? Our fullbacks clearly don't, won't, can't overlap in this current set up. He has attempted to play 2 strikers once - that's not enough, do it again, give it a chance.

Loosen the bl00dy defensive straitjacket Erol FFS! Stop overcomplicating it and listening to your 'analysts' - the word 'anal' is included for a reason!

Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:22 am

Paul Keevil wrote:
Underhill1927 wrote:

Some Suggestions

Good points here, just don’t agree with “2 strikers”. Lots of good teams have done well without needing to play this way.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:39 am

MillenniumNova

I take your point ref: 2 strikers but we need goals! Currently Etete is on his own up there. He needs a quick guy alongside him.

Our opponents know how we'll line up with one front man at home - they know how to defend against that as we're very narrow. Easy job for away teams - only Bulut can't see that.