Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Torquay United are set to go:

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:22 pm

Torquay United are set to go into administration after owner says he can no longer fund the club
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Torquay United are set to go:

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:43 pm

Manager gone as well.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:56 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Manager gone as well.

Really in trouble then.

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:58 pm

Torquay United manager Gary Johnson has left his role after the club announced it had gone into administration.

The 68-year-old had been in charge at Plainmoor since September 2018.

He led them to the 2019 National League South title and helped the Gulls reach the National League promotion final in 2021, when they missed out on promotion to League Two on penalties.

The Gulls were relegated back to the sixth tier in May and went into administration on Thursday.

"After discussions today with the football club, we have mutually agreed that I should leave Torquay United with immediate effect," Johnson said in a statement on the club website.

"I have enjoyed most of my five-and-a-half year tenure, but given the current situation, both parties agreed to part ways.

"I thank the players, the football staff, the office staff, as well as the chairman and directors for their support over this time.

"I wish the club all the best for the future."

Johnson's assistant Aaron Downes will take charge of the side on an interim basis, with the club due to host Aveley at Plainmoor in the league on Saturday.

Former Bristol City, Yeovil Town and Cheltenham Town manager Johnson had been under pressure after a run of poor results.

One win in 12 matches - including five successive defeats - had left the Gulls in 11th place in the table and seven points off the play-off places.

Going into administration will see the club docked 10 points and drop to 18th place, four points above the relegation zone.

Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:00 am

With so much money in the game these days it surprises me that so many former FL clubs are suffering this way.

I think there should be a "Grass Roots Tax" in football so that anyone earning more than £50,000 per week should pay in the region of 10% towards a grass roots fund to keep lesser clubs alive and community based.

Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:18 am

Paul Keevil wrote:With so much money in the game these days it surprises me that so many former FL clubs are suffering this way.

I think there should be a "Grass Roots Tax" in football so that anyone earning more than £50,000 per week should pay in the region of 10% towards a grass roots fund to keep lesser clubs alive and community based.

That's a good suggestion but the greed in football today the players will find a way around it.

My suggestion is the money coming into the sport via TV media should be split a lot better than it is.

Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:04 pm

I believe that 1% should go from every transfer to the team that the player signed schoolboy and scholar forms with throughout their career

Not that we’d have made much from Rambo but at least there is another income stream fit the smaller teams

So when Citeh steal your kids at least you’d get some money for finding their talent

Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:59 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:With so much money in the game these days it surprises me that so many former FL clubs are suffering this way.

That's a good suggestion but the greed in football today the players will find a way around it.

My suggestion is the money coming into the sport via TV media should be split a lot better than it is.

Just to add some figures to this.

If we were to assume that an average of 15 players (from each 25-player squad) earned more than £50,000 per week that would mean that £75,000 per team or £1.5m across the Premier League could go into the pot EACH WEEK

Or £57m across the whole season.

I mean thinking about it if I was earning £50,000 per week would I mind paying £5,000 extra tax? I don't think so. Some players gamble more than that in a week. This way it goes to grass roots to build the whole system up.

Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:01 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I believe that 1% should go from every transfer to the team that the player signed schoolboy and scholar forms with throughout their career

Not that we’d have made much from Rambo but at least there is another income stream fit the smaller teams

So when Citeh steal your kids at least you’d get some money for finding their talent

and I definitely support this.