Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Erol Bulut: “The Banned Word”

Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:48 pm

My View: Would need a small miracle at this stage, We would have to continue this great run and start scoring a lot more goals as we are -6 goals and all 4 teams above us would virtually have to start go on a awful run.

For me only 6th place is available to us:

We do have Hull home and owe them big time.

Coventry away we also have to play.

Yes of course it can be done, but we would also need the fans to return big time home and away as they can be a goal start each game.

Last September Bulut was eying the play-offs, by January the word was banned and now:

Erol Bulut:

After Saturday's game, Bulut was asked once again whether that play-off word was still banned. "I am of the same opinion with this," he said. "We take it game by game and we will see where we get to.

"I was talking a lot about that [the play-offs]. I said we wanted to be around [the play-offs] and we will push. This makes a little bit of pressure to the players. Now we have had a good run, I will not say we will be in there [the play-offs]. I am still of the same opinion. In the end, if it happens, it happens. If not, it doesn't. I will not go crazy about that."

Bulut carefully sculpted his answers not to even say the word. The players, however, are more bullish. Callum O'Dowda and Ryan Wintle in the last week have said they are going to give it everything to try to sneak into the top six before the season's end and that is undoubtedly the aim – even if the manager refuses to utter it.

So how viable is it?

Cardiff are on 53 points as things stand, but what is the points tally needed to break into the top six? Let's look at what was needed to finish in sixth place over the previous 10 seasons.

Cardiff have 9 games left are on 53 points:

2022/23 – 69 points

2021/22 – 75 points

2021/20 – 77 points

2019/20 – 70 points

Remaining 9 CCFC Fixtures:

Live on Sky tv: 16/03/2024 12:30pm Swansea City v Cardiff City Crowd Away Support

29/03/2024 15:00 Cardiff City v Sunderland Crowd Away Support

01/04/2024 15:00 Coventry City v Cardiff City
06/04/2024 15:00 Cardiff City v Hull City
10/04/2024 19:45 Birmingham City (a)
13/04/2024 15:00 Millwall (a)
20/04/2024 15:00 Southampton (h)
27/04/2024 15:00 Middlesbrough (h)

04/05/2024 15:00 Rotherham United (a)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Erol Bulut: “The Banned Word”

Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:00 pm

It’s a huge long shot.

We would have to win at least six, maybe seven of the last nine games.

We’ve got some tough games in there - Southampton, Coventry, Hull. You never know what will happen in a derby on Saturday as well.

I have said from day one that after last season, a top half finish would be a big improvement. We are on course to achieve that.

Then they need to back the manager in the summer so we can make a real push for the top six next season. I don’t think the league will be stronger than this season with the teams coming down, it will probably be weaker at the top.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:13 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:It’s a huge long shot.

We would have to win at least six, maybe seven of the last nine games.

We’ve got some tough games in there - Southampton, Coventry, Hull. You never know what will happen in a derby on Saturday as well.

I have said from day one that after last season, a top half finish would be a big improvement. We are on course to achieve that.

Then they need to back the manager in the summer so we can make a real push for the top six next season. I don’t think the league will be stronger than this season with the teams coming down, it will probably be weaker at the top.

Yes a very very tall order Ned, we should never give up but we would have to not only be brilliant ourselves. But rely on so many other results.

Bulut must be fully backed this Sumner, without a doubt.

Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:50 pm

Just win all 9 ! :bluescarf: