Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ England fans/pundits/politicians furious with Nike shirt “

Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:22 pm

England fans, pundits and politicians are furious with the new shirt that Nike have produced for them.

They’re right to be pissed off in my opinion.

On the neck, they’ve put a St George’s cross. Except it isn’t a St George’s cross, it’s a multicoloured cross.

I’m all for equal rights and everything but this is what some people call just being “woke”.

It’s a joke and no wonder England fans are livid.

It’s been criticised by practically all their fans that have seen it.

Leading politicians, including Keir Starmer and Nigel Farage, have slated it.

Pundits have said how ridiculous it is.

It’s like putting a multi coloured Dragon on the Wales kit.

The shirt is also ridiculously overpriced at £125 for adults and £120 for children.

Re: “ England fans/pundits/politicians furious with Nike shi

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:24 am

Go woke. Go broke. Amazing this dangerous divisive minority driven PC ideology is still being pushed. It's changing though. The silent moderate majority have had a titfull of being told how evil they are and will simply not buy, watch or in increasing numbers, vote for these cranks. It's a fashion and a career choice driven by the very ones who were given an inch but want a mile. Madness but I think gradually normal service will be resumed, as money talks louder than these weak but loud cranks.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:20 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:Go woke. Go broke. Amazing this dangerous divisive minority driven PC ideology is still being pushed. It's changing though. The silent moderate majority have had a titfull of being told how evil they are and will simply not buy, watch or in increasing numbers, vote for these cranks. It's a fashion and a career choice driven by the very ones who were given an inch but want a mile. Madness but I think gradually normal service will be resumed, as money talks louder than these weak but loud cranks.

Football is under attack by the woke brigade at the moment ( and wider society). The FAW run with it too. Someone wrote an excellent bit on here about the England team association with Nike and how Nike are one of the worse big corporations for pushing it . It was a couple of years back around the time of the last euros off memory .

Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:59 am

Peter Shilton is now top trending on X (Twitter) about this. People have had a guts full of this woke BS. It's a very dangerous and divisive ideology too designed and hijacked to demonise the moderate majority. It's turned from something about social injustices to something far more sinister and used as a 'cancel culture' weapon to shut down anyone who criticises it by labelling them as "gammon, misogynists, racists, homophobes, right wing, nazis etc".

I can't stand the way it's been pushed into football either. Taking the knee. Videos before the game saying racism and homophobia won't be tolerated. Stickers on the backs over every other seat telling you to "Report It".

Report what? I've been watching city and football for half a century and have never seen any racism, homophobia or misogynism. I've never seen any fan, home or away targeted or picked on for any of these things we are falsely told are a massive problem in the UK and much further afield. I've never seen our fans or any fans en masse targeting players either.

The moderate majority are sick to death of all of this. Peter Shilton is sick of this too and everyone agrees with him, that's why he's trending. It goes much deeper and wider than a rainbow cross on a football shirt. It's a dangerous crank ideology that is doing damage beyond belief. I think things are slowly beginning to change as more are not afraid to call it out for what it is, as there is more of the moderate majority it demonises than the divisive conniving cranks who are pushing it on everyone to serve their own purposes.

Here's Shilts comment, good on him for speaking out and calling it out for what it is.

IMG_20240322_093558.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:12 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:Peter Shilton is now top trending on X (Twitter) about this. People have had a guts full of this woke BS. It's a very dangerous and divisive ideology too designed and hijacked to demonise the moderate majority. It's turned from something about social injustices to something far more sinister and used as a 'cancel culture' weapon to shut down anyone who criticises it by labelling them as "gammon, misogynists, racists, homophobes, right wing, nazis etc".

I can't stand the way it's been pushed into football either. Taking the knee. Videos before the game saying racism and homophobia won't be tolerated. Stickers on the backs over every other seat telling you to "Report It".

Report what? I've been watching city and football for half a century and have never seen any racism, homophobia or misogynism. I've never seen any fan, home or away targeted or picked on for any of these things we are falsely told are a massive problem in the UK and much further afield. I've never seen our fans or any fans en masse targeting players either.

The moderate majority are sick to death of all of this. Peter Shilton is sick of this too and everyone agrees with him, that's why he's trending. It goes much deeper and wider than a rainbow cross on a football shirt. It's a dangerous crank ideology that is doing damage beyond belief. I think things are slowly beginning to change as more are not afraid to call it out for what it is, as there is more of the moderate majority it demonises than the divisive conniving cranks who are pushing it on everyone to serve their own purposes.

Here's Shilts comment, good on him for speaking out and calling it out for what it is.

IMG_20240322_093558.jpg

Can’t argue with anything of that.

Nike say they won’t change it but I expect they’ll eventually cave into the pressure.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:24 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:Peter Shilton is now top trending on X (Twitter) about this. People have had a guts full of this woke BS. It's a very dangerous and divisive ideology too designed and hijacked to demonise the moderate majority. It's turned from something about social injustices to something far more sinister and used as a 'cancel culture' weapon to shut down anyone who criticises it by labelling them as "gammon, misogynists, racists, homophobes, right wing, nazis etc".

IMG_20240322_093558.jpg

Can’t argue with anything of that.

Nike say they won’t change it but I expect they’ll eventually cave into the pressure.

The only thing the large corps who also use woke crank DEI as-a-fashion messaging as a sales and marketing tool will cave into is when they realise they are losing money.
This is what happened to Bud Lite. People stopped buying it as were sick of woke BS being pushed onto them. It affected sales so much that it impacted Anheusers share price, and when that happens, the majority shareholders get pissed off.
The major global asset managers have started to water down their "ESG" mantra, only because it's hurting sales.
That will be the only reason Nike will change it.

Just Don't Buy It. How's that for their new as slogan?

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:54 am

Couldn't care less about this it's an England shirt

Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:04 pm

carlton58 wrote:Couldn't care less about this it's an England shirt

It’s the principle, nothing to do with the fact it’s England

Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:20 pm

Reading the report on the BBC website & it says that the "authentic" version is £124.99 while the "stadium" version is £84.99. What's the difference that makes one £40 more than the other?

Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:29 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:Reading the report on the BBC website & it says that the "authentic" version is £124.99 while the "stadium" version is £84.99. What's the difference that makes one £40 more than the other?

They are different. Better quality, badge and logos are not stitched, they're printed. Which you'd think would be cheaper.

But maybe them at 75 and stadium shirt at 40. That seems reasonable to me.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:31 pm

Isn't the flag colouring supposed to be derived from the 1966 world cup squad's training gear? Unusual to change a flag but the response is surprisingly negative (apart from the cost, that is very expensive!).

Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:42 pm

You see Flags recoloured at every city game with the dragon in white blue and yellow.

This is just a pathetic storm over nothing.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:50 pm

carlton58 wrote:Couldn't care less about this it's an England shirt

Perhaps you're one of those that prefered red. Same horse different jockey you know.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:01 pm

I totally get where the anger and indignation comes from.

Let's turn this on its head - what would happen if Nike wanted to launch the USA football kit with say, 3 less stars (take out some states) and change the stripes to yellow and purple?

Now what sort of reaction do you think that idea might receive from our super patriotic American cousins?

Apply the same process to altering any national team flag on a kit.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:36 pm

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:I totally get where the anger and indignation comes from.

Let's turn this on its head - what would happen if Nike wanted to launch the USA football kit with say, 3 less stars (take out some states) and change the stripes to yellow and purple?

Now what sort of reaction do you think that idea might receive from our super patriotic American cousins?

Apply the same process to altering any national team flag on a kit.

Spot on.

It says it all that you have Starmer, Sunak and Farage all singing from the same hymn sheet on this. Pretty sure it’s the only issue that this has happened on.

Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:15 pm

Wait for the fake one to come out and buy it probably won't tell the difference.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:35 am

It does not matter who your support if they messed with the wales dragon on the shirt there would be the same uproar. St George's Cross is the same thing. You have to put the rivalry to one side in my opinion.

The FA have fucked up taking a big bag of money for it.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:27 am

The Islamists don’t like the Flag of St George because of (what they claim) are its links to the Crusades. This is Nike pandering to them.
Cracks me up, Nike were up to their armpits with BLM :lol: :lol: aye Black Lives Matter unless that black life belongs to a seven year old who’s stitching their trainers.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:09 pm

The flag of st George being on the shirt anywhere is a relatively new thing only having been there since the early 2000s & not before like the 3 lions or the Welsh dragon but yeah why mess with any flag, seems very stupid at best.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:42 pm

IMG_20240322_093558.jpg

I agreefully, mate; and as a personal protest, I can assure everyone I won't be buying one...! :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:45 pm

Jock wrote:The Islamists don’t like the Flag of St George because of (what they claim) are its links to the Crusades. This is Nike pandering to them.
Cracks me up, Nike were up to their armpits with BLM :lol: :lol: aye Black Lives Matter unless that black life belongs to a seven year old who’s stitching their trainers.

The 'public face' of Nike at odds with its financial 'ethics' again, Jock...! :?

Who'd have thought it...? :banghead:

Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:39 pm

It has' nt helped matters when you have the england manager of there countries football team southgate saying he is no bothered about it and its way down on his priority list
"What a tool" when you have x england players etc coming out and slating it and the whimp southgate frightened to put his head above the parapet.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:52 pm

Nike's unique selling point has always been the social warrior side, you get into bed with them and that's what the partnership is about. The States is in a different place to us and fundamentally they are a US company.

It's all been a bit cool and en vogue for the last few years and Nike has been at its forefront, but in this country,I believe a general tipping point has been reached. It started harmless enough, even good, but it become fcuking incessant and monotonous. Thank goodness we are with New Balance and Adidas

Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:53 am

I think it’s pathetic grown men cry over a flag design for a shirt.

If only people directed this passion and anger towards the way we get ripped off in Britain.

If you’re well travelled, you’ll be aware of just how much more we pay for EVERYTHING, and we don’t even get paid the wages to match the increase in costs or rise of inflation.

Look at the French, then look at us. We as a nation just bend over and accept the shafting we get.

Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:35 am

Bullocks to England, who gives a ****

Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:31 am

MillenniumNova wrote:I think it’s pathetic grown men cry over a flag design for a shirt.

If only people directed this passion and anger towards the way we get ripped off in Britain.

If you’re well travelled, you’ll be aware of just how much more we pay for EVERYTHING, and we don’t even get paid the wages to match the increase in costs or rise of inflation.

Look at the French, then look at us. We as a nation just bend over and accept the shafting we get.

That’s a very good point and another “divide and conquer” tactic.

How people can’t see that the people in charge want us fighting amongst ourselves so they can do what they want, is beyond me

Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:37 pm

The prices are way more outrageous than the coloured flag that most wouldn't even know was there without the outrage.

Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:20 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:
MillenniumNova wrote:I think it’s pathetic grown men cry over a flag design for a shirt.

That’s a very good point and another “divide and conquer” tactic.

How people can’t see that the people in charge want us fighting amongst ourselves so they can do what they want, is beyond me

You’re spot on mate