Realistic season assessment.

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Realistic season assessment.

Postby Underhill1927 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:47 pm

I’ll start by saying, I’m the first to have a negative reaction to a loss, particularly the manner of the last two losses to Swansea and Sunderland.

I have been reflecting on last season, and how far we’ve come this season and have started to be more measured in my assessment.

Bulut - pros are that we are nowhere near relegation and have won 3 out of 4 derbies. Something we could have only dreamt about last season. Another pro is that he’s a massive improvement on the tinpot managers of the last few seasons.

Cons for me are his boring, defensive approach to games and complete lack of creativity in open play. For the first time in many seasons I’ve left games early, as I’ve been 100% certain that we won’t score a goal. The players attitudes at times have also been a concern, devoid of ideas or passion.

So, overall has this season been a success? Yes, in comparison to last season it sure has.

Has it been entertaining? Not for me, apart from a few flashes (Swansea and Bristol at home, Preston away, Ipswich home to name a few) it’s been a real slog to watch this team at times.

In summary, do I think Bulut deserves a contract? Weighing up the improvement in position this year and the fact that I don’t trust Tan to appoint better, yes I think he deserves a chance and a season to get some more of his players in.

If he can pull off some more signings like Siopis and Goutas, and get to grips with the more attacking side of the Championship, we could have a real go at the playoffs next year.
Underhill1927
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:11 pm

Realistic season assessment.

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby salopiancity » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:08 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:I’ll start by saying, I’m the first to have a negative reaction to a loss, particularly the manner of the last two losses to Swansea and Sunderland.

I have been reflecting on last season, and how far we’ve come this season and have started to be more measured in my assessment.

Bulut - pros are that we are nowhere near relegation and have won 3 out of 4 derbies. Something we could have only dreamt about last season. Another pro is that he’s a massive improvement on the tinpot managers of the last few seasons.

Cons for me are his boring, defensive approach to games and complete lack of creativity in open play. For the first time in many seasons I’ve left games early, as I’ve been 100% certain that we won’t score a goal. The players attitudes at times have also been a concern, devoid of ideas or passion.

So, overall has this season been a success? Yes, in comparison to last season it sure has.

Has it been entertaining? Not for me, apart from a few flashes (Swansea and Bristol at home, Preston away, Ipswich home to name a few) it’s been a real slog to watch this team at times.

In summary, do I think Bulut deserves a contract? Weighing up the improvement in position this year and the fact that I don’t trust Tan to appoint better, yes I think he deserves a chance and a season to get some more of his players in.

If he can pull off some more signings like Siopis and Goutas, and get to grips with the more attacking side of the Championship, we could have a real go at the playoffs next year.

Pretty fair assessment and probably on a par with my opinion.
salopiancity
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby theclaw » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:36 pm

Agree with most it and think Bulut needs a few more of his signings to see what he can do.
theclaw
 
Posts: 4132
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Jestrix » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:45 pm

Good read and assessment. With regards to the boring element if his football I do find myself wondering had we managed to sign the Greek CAM we were supposedly sniffing around and the Turkish winger (if we were ever truly looking at these) whether or not the football would of been better.. could it be that if he had more of 'his players' they could implement whatever his game plans seem to be but he's left with the bargain basement versions
Jestrix
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Caerphilly

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Borders Blue » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:52 pm

I thought that was a fair assessment - thanks. The fans are divided on Bulut and I can relate to that. There is an inconsistency in our play right now that worries me. Whether or not Bulut is partially or totally responsible for this is anyone's guess but on balance I think he deserves to be backed. Mr. Tan - listen to Mehmet for once.
Borders Blue
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Underhill1927 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:57 pm

Jestrix wrote:Good read and assessment. With regards to the boring element if his football I do find myself wondering had we managed to sign the Greek CAM we were supposedly sniffing around and the Turkish winger (if we were ever truly looking at these) whether or not the football would of been better.. could it be that if he had more of 'his players' they could implement whatever his game plans seem to be but he's left with the bargain basement versions


I’d agree with that and we have seen flashes of brilliance (like today) from players he’s been left with.

The inconsistency is a concern but I think he’ll get it right
Underhill1927
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:11 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Underhill1927 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:58 pm

Agree he needs more of his own signings and to be more consistent.

Also he needs to decide how to play at home, and be a bit more creative and attacking
Underhill1927
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:11 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby worcester_ccfc » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 pm

Fair assessment.

I think he should stay, we won’t do any better.

His negative tactics can be frustrating though.

Today was entertaining to watch but he clearly told us to sit back for the last ten minutes and it nearly cost us.

I will say that we just need a LB (plus to sign Phillips) and we will have a strong defence. Horvath, Phillips, Goutas and Ng are solid at this level.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
User avatar
worcester_ccfc
Moderator
 
Posts: 23161
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Underhill1927 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:18 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Fair assessment.

I think he should stay, we won’t do any better.

His negative tactics can be frustrating though.

Today was entertaining to watch but he clearly told us to sit back for the last ten minutes and it nearly cost us.

I will say that we just need a LB (plus to sign Phillips) and we will have a strong defence. Horvath, Phillips, Goutas and Ng are solid at this level.


To be fair to Collins he did much better today. I don’t see him as the long term answer though, you’re right
Underhill1927
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:11 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby rumpo kid » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:26 pm

We don’t have good enough attacking players at the moment. First priority for any Manager is not to concede, so it’s dull but understandable.
rumpo kid
 
Posts: 3788
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby cardiffboy1995 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:19 pm

I think the frustrations from a lot of fans (including myself) is how well we started, and how we’ve dropped off. Also, the defend first policy.

On the flip side, we are pretty certain to avoid relegation, and if we carry on the way we are going, we will finish mid-table ish.

If we had that option at the start of the season, we’d have snapped hands off.
cardiffboy1995
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:31 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Simplesimon » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:34 am

I’m in agreement with the bulk of the OP and I’m split on whether EB is worth sticking by as the overall points have certainly increased and the club definitely needs stability. But by the same token, because the dire home games have been so dire I can’t see me and my son renewing our ST at the moment. As a fan I’m passionate, but not a blind follower some others expect. I support the team, but I still want to be entertained too as I think the two should go hand in hand. Players are paid to perform and represent the club. I’ve always been of the mentality that win, lose or draw. If we’re playing positively and creatively, I’ll take whatever the result is. Unfortunately that’s been tested to the limit this season.
A lot gets said about us not willing to pay for players so we end up with leftovers, yet it was posted the other week that were something like 7th or 8th highest payers in the division. So many ex players say they loved their time here and love the club. Many players have said they’ve signed after speaking with current/former players. That would generally seem to indicate the club isn’t viewed poorly by players.
I’d like to think I’ll be swayed to renew, but I’m not yet.
Simplesimon
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:56 am

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Bakedalasker » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:23 am

Will Bulut play an attacking style if he is given a proper striker?
User avatar
Bakedalasker
Moderator
 
Posts: 19787
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Derby

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Jestrix » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:37 am

I would imagine if he's got his own players he knows and trusts and knows what they are capable of then the game plan can be different. I know people knock the Turkish league but I think you need to have something about you to manage there and succeed and having your own players should go a long way in that regard. As stated on another thread if you've got 3 DMs in your squad and no support to improve on them it's going to be difficult to start playing hugely expansive football if you don't have the personnel for the task as it would be in any job
Jestrix
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Caerphilly

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Abergavenny » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 am

On the negative side the football at times has been torrid to watch and has tested me so far this season. In defence of Bulut He has got us to a higher position than I expected and without two of his most creative players for the vast majority of the season in Ramsey and O’Dowda Take the two most creative players out of any team and they may struggle.
We have 7 more points than last season with 6 games to go
I would give Bulut another season thou more giving him the benefit of my doubt. He will understand the championship more and what is needed from a tactical point and from what players are required ( players will depend on what the club are prepared to sign )
However please entertain us a little more next season
Abergavenny
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:13 am

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby welshrarebit » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:44 am

One thing this team needs is stability. We need to keep bulut imho. He’s passionate and wants to win even if it’s not the most exciting football. We are vastly better than last season
welshrarebit
 
Posts: 1797
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: Realistic season assessment.

Postby Bluebird1977 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:37 am

Underhill1927 wrote:I’ll start by saying, I’m the first to have a negative reaction to a loss, particularly the manner of the last two losses to Swansea and Sunderland.

I have been reflecting on last season, and how far we’ve come this season and have started to be more measured in my assessment.

Bulut - pros are that we are nowhere near relegation and have won 3 out of 4 derbies. Something we could have only dreamt about last season. Another pro is that he’s a massive improvement on the tinpot managers of the last few seasons.

Cons for me are his boring, defensive approach to games and complete lack of creativity in open play. For the first time in many seasons I’ve left games early, as I’ve been 100% certain that we won’t score a goal. The players attitudes at times have also been a concern, devoid of ideas or passion.

So, overall has this season been a success? Yes, in comparison to last season it sure has.

Has it been entertaining? Not for me, apart from a few flashes (Swansea and Bristol at home, Preston away, Ipswich home to name a few) it’s been a real slog to watch this team at times.

In summary, do I think Bulut deserves a contract? Weighing up the improvement in position this year and the fact that I don’t trust Tan to appoint better, yes I think he deserves a chance and a season to get some more of his players in.

If he can pull off some more signings like Siopis and Goutas, and get to grips with the more attacking side of the Championship, we could have a real go at the playoffs next year.

Totally agree great post Simon :bluescarf:
:bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: “We will dust ourselves down and go again” :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
User avatar
Bluebird1977
 
Posts: 18386
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amazon [Bot], Bakedalasker, Buchanan's Exocet, Carbon [Bot], cardiffboy1995, Chris1988, cityone, Clickagy [Bot], Don Keydick, DotBot [Bot], ediwelshboy, Facebook [Bot], Frosty_Blue, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], ias [Bot], Paul Keevil, pembroke allan, philrogers, Proximic [Bot], Roath_Blue, rontom, royalblue, salopiancity, taffinessex, uipbot [Bot], Underhill1927, Valleyblue56 and 406 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.