Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Cardiff City v Southampton?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:00 pm

Cardiff City win (11/2)
12%
Southampton win (8/15)
72%
Draw (3/1)
16%

Total votes : 25

Re: TEAM NEWS: “ CARDIFF CITY v SOUTHAMPTON “ MATCH THREAD

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pm

Martin now has to decide whether to keep McCarthy in goal or replace him for Lumley ahead of the trip to Cardiff City.

The veteran shot-stopper was hardly tested against Preston, but you’d be surprised if that was the case against the Welsh side.

Following Tuesday night’s win, Martin explained they have another ‘selection problem’ this weekend, which suggests he’s deciding whether to start Lumley.

After keeping a clean sheet, it seems ridiculous to drop McCarthy, but as the Saints boss wants to take a thorough look at both keepers in action, it wouldn’t be a shock to see him dropped.

That said, Southampton have reached a stage of their campaign where continuity is vital, so chopping and changing his goalkeeper isn’t an ideal scenario.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:29 pm

Russell Martin: Bluebirds clash is 'dangerous'

Southampton boss Russell Martin believes Cardiff not having anything to play for makes them a "dangerous" proposition for his side.

The Bluebirds were comfortably beaten in the reverse fixture at St Mary's and come into this clash with 12 injuries and around 14 senior players available. Sign up to our Cardiff City newsletter here.

Couple that with Bulut's situation still up in the air and the club not fighting against relegation nor battling for promotion and punters will give Cardiff little chance this weekend.

However, Martin is taking no liberties. When asked whether Cardiff having nothing to play for gives Saints an advantage this weekend, ex-Swansea boss Martin said: "No, I think it's dangerous. I think that nothing to play for thing is just a bit of a throwaway comment in football.

"There are thousands of people there watching them. Some people will be out of contract, some people will be on loan, and some people will be given opportunities maybe at this stage of the season that haven't had many.

"So there's always something to play for, always, individually and collectively. I don't see that coming into it.

"And also teams play with real freedom sometimes when they maybe don't have much to play for in terms of promotion or relegation. We saw Watford come here last week to our place.

"They played brilliantly at Ipswich on Wednesday but didn't get the result and then you think, oh, well, there's nothing to play for.

"So it was a really tough game. It's a bit of a throwaway statement in football. Every game is tough in this division and this will be a tough one."

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 pm

Southampton’s promotion rivals must be spitting feathers with the City apparently handing them the win tomorrow with all their supposed injuries. Maybe they should refer us to the football authorities!!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:56 pm

It's awful to say this of professional footballers but I'd be pleasantly surprised even if we scraped a point based on our overall totally underwhelming home form.

IMO our players owe us a performance!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:16 pm

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:It's awful to say this of professional footballers but I'd be pleasantly surprised even if we scraped a point based on our overall totally underwhelming home form.

IMO our players owe us a performance!

It depends what team we can put out with all these injuries!

But I agree, can’t see anything other than an away win if I’m honest.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 pm

The Achilles injury that Gavin Bazunu suffered before Southampton's match on Tuesday night against Preston North End has not only ended his season, but has created a domino effect that has led to a lot of controversy around the club.

Russell Martin revealed in his press conference, on Friday morning, that the young Irish goalkeeper was going to be out for 9-10 months having ruptured his Achilles in his team's warm-up prior to the match vs the Lilywhites at St Mary's.

Third choice goalkeeper Alex McCarthy, who used to be the club's number one, before Bazunu arrived from Manchester City, stepped in between the sticks for Southampton and kept a clean sheet as his side eased their way to a comfortable 3-0 victory, which keeps them within reach of the automatic promotion spots, providing they win their other games in hand on the three teams above them.

Martin lauded the veteran shot-stopper for his performance in what was the 34-year-old's only league appearance of the season so far. But his decision to start him ahead of the natural replacement for Bazunu, and cup keeper, Joe Lumley, when Mccarthy wasn't named in the matchday squad, hasn't gone down well.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:06 pm

Russell Martin's reaction to Joe Lumley transfer request claim -

The Scottish boss said, in his pre-match press conference, before his team face Cardiff City on Saturday, that he had been made aware of Clarke's comments on the Lumley situation, and he wasn't happy with them.

The 38-year-old said, via the Daily Echo: "My brother sent me a thing yesterday that someone put online about if 'I was Joe Lumley, I'd put in a transfer request right now,' which is ridiculous.

"Me and Joe had a really in-depth chat on Wednesday. I didn't expect him to be happy about the decision, but I spoke to him about why I felt the decision was right at the time.

"He probably still doesn't agree, but hopefully he respects the decision. We had a quick hug and I thanked him for the chat."

Martin further explained his decision to go with McCarthy, who is set to leave in the summer when his contract with the Saints expires, over the former Reading and Middlesbrough number one. "In Alex, we have someone with a lot of experience at the highest level," said the Southampton boss.

"He has played for his country and we've seen what Joe can do. I just wanted to see what Alex could do. I think he did great. He had very little to do as a goalkeeper because the guys in front of him played really brilliantly. What he did have to do he did well and with a calm assurance.

"He's so relaxed as a person. Nothing seems to faze him. At this stage of the season, that's really important. Now it's a big decision to make for tomorrow."

Re: MATCH THREAD: “ CARDIFF CITY v SOUTHAMPTON “ MATCH THREA

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:19 am

Best forget this game and enjoy rotherham last game of the season away early kick off
until next season and the big rebuild starts with grant phillips gone possibly perry ng thats our 3 best gone and have to replace and then bring in the striker we need
Giving this one a miss today up in sunny llandudno but will be in rotherham hopefully with umberella hat on if i can get it past the stewards.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:51 am

I’ve bet against City,, gone Southampton and over 2.5. Pretty nailed on in my opinion but you never know with this team haha

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:00 pm

You can get a whopping 8/1 on Cardiff to beat Southampton today

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:00 pm

Hopefully starts Ashford today, and a couple of other young lads.

Nothing left to play for, they’ll have no fear.
Players in our team aren’t working at the moment. Let them have a chance.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 pm

Has Siopis had a shot all season? He should have out his size two's through that then!!!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:11 pm

Holding our own so far

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 pm

Horvath assist there. Pushed it straight into his feet.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 pm

Cannot cope with Adam Armstrong.
He’s pulling us all over the place.

But, as usual with city. One chance, one goal to the opposition.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm

To be fair to Ollie Tanner 3 times in the first 20mins he put good balls in to the Southampton box only for us to waste the opportunities.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:To be fair to Ollie Tanner 3 times in the first 20mins he put good balls in to the Southampton box only for us to waste the opportunities.

Agreed. 21 mins in, his best input for months.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:29 pm

Tanner and Ashford both looking dangerous

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:44 pm

Lot better than I thought it would be.... rode luck at times but we are making opportunities but only odd chance.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:52 pm

Clapped the team off after that first half.

It’s a makeshift team against one of the best four teams in the league and done alright.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:20 pm

Really don’t know what to make of Turnbull. Flashes of brilliance but his attitude lets him down for me. Could be a great player next season, could be a complete waste of money

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:21 pm

And we thought our finishing was bad.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:30 pm

1-1, great run from the young lad Conte & farmer dido, as monty calls him, slots home.
Last edited by Welshman in CA on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:30 pm

Goal! Diédhiou 68' with Meite assist! :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:36 pm

Conte looks comfortable on the ball!!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:40 pm

Southampton rattled

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:55 pm

What a strike from Ashford! 2-1 City

Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:57 pm

What a strike. Someone throw a pie at Russel Martin :laughing6:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:17 pm

:bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:41 pm

Good Win against a team where their remaining games were a must win for a Top 2 .