Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“I would certainly consider returning to Cardiff” Liverpoo

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm

“I would certainly consider returning to Cardiff”

Liverpool defender Nat Phillips said he would "certainly consider" returning to Cardiff City next season, with his future on Merseyside as yet undecided.

“Playing for Erol Bulut has been good for me and I and the other players are fully behind him”

The centre-back, 27, has been fantastic since signing for the Bluebirds in the winter window and has bolstered City's defence in the absence of the injured Mark McGuinness.

"I'd certainly consider [a return to Cardiff]. I've enjoyed my time here, I've enjoyed playing regularly. I want to continue playing regular football and enjoying my football.

"Any time you move clubs, a lot is up in the air. I've done it a few times with loans, so I would say I'm more accustomed to it than some people are. I know how to do it. I know Cardiff now and I've done that."

Phillips said an added factor in him considering a return to the Welsh capital is that his partner has enjoyed living in the city. But on the pitch, having the backing of manager Bulut has been huge for him.

"It's been beneficial for me in that he's taken a liking to me as a player," he added. "I've played regularly so that's played in my favour. Any time a player is moving they want to know who the coach is going to be and whether or not you're going to be a player for them."

He has two more games in a City shirt before he heads back up to Merseyside. Speaking about his plan for the summer, he said: "I had a brief conversation with the loan manager at Liverpool. There's so much going on at the club. Football is a game of a lot of uncertainty generally anyway.

"You tend to find you make one plan and something else comes along. I've learnt throughout my career to just sit back and let things unfold because it doesn't really matter how much you try and worry about it or influence it, a lot of things are out of your control."

Bulut thinks that signing him on loan again next season would be unlikely. He said: "For a loan situation, it doesn't look like that. It depends what Liverpool want. If they renew a contract with him or want to sell him, it would have to be clear between him and Liverpool and then, see how Cardiff go on with this situation.

"For sure, he will get offers and then Liverpool have to decide what they want."

There is no doubt that the manager is a huge fan of the defender, though, having played him in every game for which he has been available.

"He is a big add," Bulut added. "Especially with the defensive shape and organising the defence. Even Dimi Goutas next to him feels more comfortable and the full-backs.

"He is doing the organising from the defence and his team-mates in front of him. To have these players, it was a good choice from us and he's settled in really well. He'd like to stay, he loves to be here with us, with Cardiff. Let's see from him what will be for him for the new season."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “I would certainly consider returning to Cardiff” Liver

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:37 pm

Great news that he would be interested in staying.

The club should be doing all they can now to make it happen.

Brilliant defender who would walk into the squad in most teams in this division.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:56 pm

Reply:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:56 pm

Reply:

Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:57 pm

Reply:

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 pm

Make it happen!

Don't think it will happen if Bulut goes from what he said

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

I'd happily make him our highest earner if it means keeping him permanently. Would be a great signing!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 pm

Been a great signing but we are unlikely to be able to afford to buy him

Kipre is available on a free?

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Been a great signing but we are unlikely to be able to afford to buy him

Kipre is available on a free?

I doubt Liverpool want that much for him so don’t see why we can’t afford him.

I would sign Phillips every day of the week instead of Kipre.

Kipre was alright but nowhere near as good as Phillips.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 pm

Bulut has already stated if he stays we will have a small budget for next season

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 pm

fred keenor wrote:Bulut has already stated if he stays we will have a small budget for next season

Small in comparison to what though?

If it’s small in comparison to the clubs that spend £15m on one player then we can still add decent players like Phillips.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:02 pm

Transfermarkt (as trustworthy as that is) seems to value him around £3m. I reckon for that you'd be hard pressed to find another homegrown CB of that quality. Wages are the problem from what others have said though, something like 65k a week??

Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:08 pm

Liles93 wrote:Transfermarkt (as trustworthy as that is) seems to value him around £3m. I reckon for that you'd be hard pressed to find another homegrown CB of that quality. Wages are the problem from what others have said though, something like 65k a week??

The fact his girlfriend (Liam Gallagher’s daughter) is happy in Cardiff could be a big factor if it comes down to his decision.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:08 pm

fred keenor wrote:Bulut has already stated if he stays we will have a small budget for next season

Thought we where going to have a big rebuild not another season on a shoestring with no embargo and not spent sod all in the last few years turnball 2 million .