Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

HOW DO WE MIRROR IPSWICH?

Mon May 06, 2024 3:01 pm

Do we need to start with an attack minded manager ?
I think a lot of fans noticed that ipswich let in a fair few goals
but they counter it by banging them in at the other end of the pitch
and they always seemed on the front foot
i hsve watched them a few times this season and did notice they did not adopt our playing style at all
up to the half way line then turn back to the keeper
there style imo is what most cardiff fans want attacking football

so is bulut going to completly change his style of play next season even with a decent striker we have played with 2 wingers all season but bowler went backwards more than forward Grant ploughed a lonely furrow on his own a lot of the time this season
Don' t want to see all this negative play next season.

Re: HOW DO WE MIRROR IPSWICH?

Mon May 06, 2024 3:09 pm

Here we go again….

If you’ve got quick wing backs, midfielders who can run from box to box, goalscoring strikers and an athletic team then you can play the attacking style.

We can’t.

Our full backs are slow, our central midfielders don’t have the stamina to run from box to box and we don’t have any strikers who will score a decent amount of goals.

It’s all well and good people saying they want us to play like that but all you’d see is our midfield being constantly overrun and we would have ended up being in a relegation battle.

Sign those sorts of players with Bulut in charge and we will play more attacking.

But it would suicide to play like that with our slow and ageing squad.

Besides, we need our own plan.

Last season it was people saying how do we mirror Burnley, now it’s how we mirror Ipswich.

What we actually need is stability with the manager situation and to push on with the right signings for next season.

Birmingham play attacking football, look what happened to them because it didn’t fit their players.

Mon May 06, 2024 3:24 pm

Perhaps we should 'mirror' Leicester, too...? :?

Equally, we could 'mirror' any team promoted to the Premier League, with the exception of the eriding 'Jacks', including twice-promoted Cardiff City... ;)

Every season, three will go up, three will go down, and 18 will keeo the status quo...

We just need to worry about us and our time will come again with the right mix of owner, manager, players and support; all of which we are lacking in recent times... :cry:

Mon May 06, 2024 3:57 pm

Can never model your style on any club as different manager different style ....different players different tactics.... can have a model to follow in how club is run but that's no garauntee it will work for another club? Eg follow brentford model of anylictacal buying of players that is easy but it took them 8yrs to get to premier league ..and after selling/buying numerous players.... follow swans model of selling players for many millions won't work as you must keep best players not sell them as they've discovered.... if only football was as easy as following successful teams.

Mon May 06, 2024 4:21 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Here we go again….

If you’ve got quick wing backs, midfielders who can run from box to box, goalscoring strikers and an athletic team then you can play the attacking style.

We can’t.

Our full backs are slow, our central midfielders don’t have the stamina to run from box to box and we don’t have any strikers who will score a decent amount of goals.

It’s all well and good people saying they want us to play like that but all you’d see is our midfield being constantly overrun and we would have ended up being in a relegation battle.

Sign those sorts of players with Bulut in charge and we will play more attacking.

Last season it was people saying how do we mirror Burnley, now it’s how we mirror Ipswich.

What we actually need is stability with the manager situation and to push on with the right signings for next season.

Birmingham play attacking football, look what happened to them because it didn’t fit their players.

What do you mean
"here we go again"

Ffs sake you've gone a right grumpy tw.t lately can anybody post anything on this forum without you slagging them off because we don' t agree with you about bulut
any hint of having a go at bulut and your up in arms it's getting to the point its not worth posting anything
we can all have different opinions thats why its a forum but your first words

here we go again

And you say it would be sucide to play like that to f.cking right it would with the team that bulut put together we need a. big change in all departments
And you still believe if bulut had another go he is going to completly change to an out and out attacking team.

Mon May 06, 2024 4:32 pm

montyblue wrote:

We can’t.

What do you mean
"here we go again"

Ffs sake you've gone a right grumpy tw.t lately can anybody post anything on this forum without you slagging them off because we don' t agree with you about bulut
any hint of having a go at bulut and your up in arms it's getting to the point its not worth posting anything

here we go again

And you say it would be sucide to play like that to f.cking right it would with the team that bulut put together we need a. big change in all departments
And you still believe if bulut had another go he is going to completly change to an out and out attacking team.

Monty, calm down, calm down; or you'll implode.. ! ;)

You always have the right of reasoned response rather than grumping... :ayatollah:

Mon May 06, 2024 5:42 pm

For me, it's a case of players don't suit.

We can't play that way, and neither should we aspire to in all honesty.

We want to find a way of playing which is our own style and that works, as opposed to trying to mirror a certain club.

Some of the best teams in the world would struggle to play a game which is opposite to how their players are able to play. Why would it be any different at this level?

It needs to be said again that Bulut has got us to a top half finish. Something no one expected at the start of the season.

What I struggle to understand is that people would rather us be relegated and play attacking football, as opposed to being safe.

Mon May 06, 2024 6:54 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:For me, it's a case of players don't suit.

We can't play that way, and neither should we aspire to in all honesty.

We want to find a way of playing which is our own style and that works, as opposed to trying to mirror a certain club.

Some of the best teams in the world would struggle to play a game which is opposite to how their players are able to play. Why would it be any different at this level?

It needs to be said again that Bulut has got us to a top half finish. Something no one expected at the start of the season.

What I struggle to understand is that people would rather us be relegated and play attacking football, as opposed to being safe.

That's not an unreasonable point.. ! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Mon May 06, 2024 7:02 pm

This is not me having a go at Bulut (honestly) but what is his style? I kinda have a view on the last 15 years

DJ - 442 which in reality was often 424 basically attack attack attack
Malky -4141 strangled the ball because he repurposed Whitts as a quarterback very very safely it took 36 games until teams realized stop Whitts stop city
Ole - No idea it changed three times in a game
Slade 4411 dungeon football with all that talent
Trollop - 4231 Euro 2016 without 2 world class & 5 very good players totally on it
Warnock 433 no messing around until the last third, win your battles, get it forward
Harris - 4411 Keep it tight and hope Tomlin does something
Mad Mick- 5 centre halfs :o
YTS lads- no idea whatever they read a coaching school

Bulut 4231- ball retention, a deliberate build-up with the team advancing upfield as a tight group????

The problem for me is we don't have two sitters. Maybe Wintle but Ralls and Siopis are "8"'s and none of them can control the pace of the game. We barely got a top 4 without Rambo.
If he stays he needs to find a genuine sitter who knows how to play how he wants and takes the physicality of the championship. In hindsight, he would have loved Malkys Whitts

Mon May 06, 2024 8:30 pm

llan bluebird wrote:This is not me having a go at Bulut (honestly) but what is his style? I kinda have a view on the last 15 years

Malky -4141 strangled the ball because he repurposed Whitts as a quarterback very very safely it took 36 games until teams realized stop Whitts stop city
Trollop - 4231 Euro 2016 without 2 world class & 5 very good players totally on it
Warnock 433 no messing around until the last third, win your battles, get it forward

Bulut 4231- ball retention, a deliberate build-up with the team advancing upfield as a tight group????

The problem for me is we don't have two sitters. Maybe Wintle but Ralls and Siopis are "8"'s and none of them can control the pace of the game. We barely got a top 4 without Rambo.
If he stays he needs to find a genuine sitter who knows how to play how he wants and takes the physicality of the championship. In hindsight, he would have loved Malkys Whitts

yes llan ball retention is number 1 the way bullet sets up with the ball like all good coaches these days

without the ball he uses the mid press or some coaches say mid block technique

the opposing team is allowed to play a first few passes and move forward. But then the defenders start to lead the build-up in a certain direction, block open men and watch passing lanes.

but whether coaches use low block , mid block or high block techniques without the ball the simple fact is it comes down to the quality of players in all areas of the pitch

i could go on all night about different coaching techniques but its the end of the season and i want a rest :D

Mon May 06, 2024 10:42 pm

Well we are off to a good start - We both play in Blue .... :bluebird:

Tue May 07, 2024 12:17 pm

montyblue wrote:

We can’t.

What do you mean
"here we go again"

here we go again

A difference of opinion gets shut down alot on here, I must admit. :laughing6:

(Before anyone points the gun at me, I take this forum about as serious as a flat earther. Your words will bounce off me. :wave: )

My 2p - Ipswich have cruised through this league playing some great stuff. Why not try to aspire to that?? Have we got the squad to do it, absolutely not; but we don't even have the (or any) vision. I look back at 2 games against Plymouth. Boxing day at home, we were carved apart and played out a draw. Away they made us look like a L1 club (ironic considering they'd only just come up).
As someone said, pace was the key in both games. I'd go out and enquire about both their wing backs as they are 'off the shelf' solutions.

This Ipswich squad isn't a fluke. It's a well thought out, well invested long-term-vision coming to fruition. Alot of planet have aligned, but what a club to be amongst at the moment. I'd love to see them stay up, and can't really put a finger on it as they were a very un-glamerous club - even in the premier league conception years.

Tue May 07, 2024 12:46 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:This is not me having a go at Bulut (honestly) but what is his style? I kinda have a view on the last 15 years

yes llan ball retention is number 1 the way bullet sets up with the ball like all good coaches these days

without the ball he uses the mid press or some coaches say mid block technique

the opposing team is allowed to play a first few passes and move forward. But then the defenders start to lead the build-up in a certain direction, block open men and watch passing lanes.

but whether coaches use low block , mid block or high block techniques without the ball the simple fact is it comes down to the quality of players in all areas of the pitch

i could go on all night about different coaching techniques but its the end of the season and i want a rest :D

the system as you describe may work but what we font have or didn't use was the ability yo break quickly or play ball behind their lines? Not a coincidence that with rambo in team we did it without him went back to halfway line football! We did on fact score some good goals with quick interplay but half ghe time those players wasn't on pitch for one reason or other at same time.

Tue May 07, 2024 12:52 pm

They can sign better players, Moore for example, with FFP we are stuck a bit now as the other Managers wasted the parachute payments, we have to take stock and rebuild gradually a bit at a time.

Tue May 07, 2024 1:29 pm

SB 1927 wrote:
montyblue wrote:

We can’t.

What do you mean
"here we go again"

here we go again

(Before anyone points the gun at me, I take this forum about as serious as a flat earther. Your words will bounce off me. :wave: )

My 2p - Ipswich have cruised through this league playing some great stuff. Why not try to aspire to that?? Have we got the squad to do it, absolutely not; but we don't even have the (or any) vision. I look back at 2 games against Plymouth. Boxing day at home, we were carved apart and played out a draw. Away they made us look like a L1 club (ironic considering they'd only just come up).
As someone said, pace was the key in both games. I'd go out and enquire about both their wing backs as they are 'off the shelf' solutions.

This Ipswich squad isn't a fluke. It's a well thought out, well invested long-term-vision coming to fruition. Alot of planet have aligned, but what a club to be amongst at the moment. I'd love to see them stay up, and can't really put a finger on it as they were a very un-glamerous club - even in the premier league conception years.

All i was suggesting is that it would not be a bad example to emulate
obviously needing different players and poss manager not with what has been coddled together this season
but ipswich where not big spenders and they have p.ssed this division with there style of play thats all i was saying.

Tue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm

montyblue wrote:
SB 1927 wrote:
montyblue wrote:

We can’t.

What do you mean
"here we go again"

here we go again

All i was suggesting is that it would not be a bad example to emulate
obviously needing different players and poss manager not with what has been coddled together this season
but ipswich where not big spenders and they have p.ssed this division with there style of play thats all i was saying.

Decent manager who studied as a no2 at Man u.... and of course continuity of players ! Funny enough howe at Bournemouth was last time back to back promotion and did it same philosophy young hungry players from lower league clubs ... we seem to buy old slow players and only get in young decent players on loan then return them. So upto a point your right.

Tue May 07, 2024 3:31 pm

Sven wrote:
montyblue wrote:

We can’t.

What do you mean
"here we go again"

here we go again

You always have the right of reasoned response rather than grumping... :ayatollah:

Chris he has aleady imploded :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Tue May 07, 2024 3:42 pm

Cut the wage bill by about 7 million.find.a better manager and voila

Tue May 07, 2024 3:44 pm

Be interesting to see how Ipswich do next season in the premiership as I was shocked how bad Burnley has done this season I was not expecting them to be this bad, without doubt out of the teams that went up Luton done really well and give it a go but the other 2 sheff U & surprising Burnley were terrible.

Tue May 07, 2024 4:45 pm

Igovernor wrote:
Sven wrote:
montyblue wrote:

We can’t.

What do you mean
"here we go again"

here we go again

Chris he has aleady imploded :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Is that your total contribution to the topic ffs. hilarious.

Tue May 07, 2024 9:38 pm

Ipswich basically signed a good Manager who improved and motivated his players, he spent only 4million wisely this season,including three Welsh Internationals one a Cardiff City reject similar to Luton FC last season!
Our last two signings Robinson and Turnbull cost 2 million each and were hardly picked, our two Welsh Internationals also rarely played and our Manager was so defensive and didn’t motivate or improve any of our players!

Wed May 08, 2024 10:45 pm

the cash to bring in quality players.
whether bulut is a cardiff or not.
and that is the only thing stopping us from reaching the play-offs.
but tan as is well known is reluctant to give anything to any manager.

Thu May 09, 2024 11:42 am

We did twice.
Tan broke the mirror