Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Newport v Cardiff ‘

Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:39 am

Newport / Cardiff Rivalry was massive in the 80’s:

Cardiff fans away at Somerton Park:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ArK8e6Q1MlI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Newport v Cardiff ‘

Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:40 am

Cardiff fans away at Somerton Park:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:40 am

Cardiff fans away at Somerton Park :

Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:41 am

Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:41 am

Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:59 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ArK8e6Q1MlI

Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:28 am

I remember going to Ninian for a match v Millwall (cup game) and by the time we got there it was postponed due to the weather.
We went on to somerton park to watch Newport v Everton (cup game). Police sent us into a section next to the Everton fans and over to our right we saw the Newport lads scatter as an handful of city fans came up the back of the terrace. Seeing that they had the far superior numbers, the home fans turned and quickly sent the city fans packing into the section of the ground that we were in. Suddenly a few Millwall fans popped their heads up in our section. Kicked off a bit to say the least. Must have been nearly 40 years ago :old: :bluescarf:

Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:09 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I remember going to Ninian for a match v Millwall (cup game) and by the time we got there it was postponed due to the weather.
We went on to somerton park to watch Newport v Everton (cup game). Police sent us into a section next to the Everton fans and over to our right we saw the Newport lads scatter as an handful of city fans came up the back of the terrace. Seeing that they had the far superior numbers, the home fans turned and quickly sent the city fans packing into the section of the ground that we were in. Suddenly a few Millwall fans popped their heads up in our section. Kicked off a bit to say the least. Must have been nearly 40 years ago :old: :bluescarf:

Yes Andrew , I went a long as well, it was shall we say quite a different day :lol:

Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I remember going to Ninian for a match v Millwall (cup game) and by the time we got there it was postponed due to the weather.

Yes Andrew , I went a long as well, it was shall we say quite a different day :lol:

Too right Annis. Basically 4 gangs of casuals having a pop at each other.

Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:02 pm

not sure if those days could go on like they were,it's more women and families now , taking ends it wasn't d day

Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:36 am

As a kid my dad took me to Summertown park Tommy tienan was playing for them .can't remember much about the game .what I do remember is walking across George St bridge with cardiff fans and then meeting with another crowd of cardiff at the bottom of the bridge .I shit myself the volume of people and the noise as we walked to Summertown park was overwhelming for me as a kid.the atmosphere in that small ground was electric and although I was scared I was hooked my dad took me to watch city every Saturday rain or shine in the family stand at ninian ppark.my highlight was if the ball came into the stand us kids would all run like he'll to be the first to pick the ball up and throw it back to the likes of tacky,Lindon jones who played for Newport ,Peter kitchen, phil dwyer etc .I loved it I was proud of my team and city no matter the score .everyone in school supported Liverpool and they would laugh at me for supporting cardiff in cardiff which I always to this day find really odd .never supported another club always loved the city .
I'd guess the year wasaround1979-1980 when we played Newport that day I'd love to no the score

Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:05 pm

brickyblue wrote:As a kid my dad took me to Summertown park Tommy tienan was playing for them .can't remember much about the game .what I do remember is walking across George St bridge with cardiff fans and then meeting with another crowd of cardiff at the bottom of the bridge .I shit myself the volume of people and the noise as we walked to Summertown park was overwhelming for me as a kid.the atmosphere in that small ground was electric and although I was scared I was hooked my dad took me to watch city every Saturday rain or shine in the family stand at ninian ppark.my highlight was if the ball came into the stand us kids would all run like he'll to be the first to pick the ball up and throw it back to the likes of tacky,Lindon jones who played for Newport ,Peter kitchen, phil dwyer etc .I loved it I was proud of my team and city no matter the score .everyone in school supported Liverpool and they would laugh at me for supporting cardiff in cardiff which I always to this day find really odd .never supported another club always loved the city .
I'd guess the year wasaround1979-1980 when we played Newport that day I'd love to no the score

It was the Welsh cup we lost 2_0 to Newport in 79/80.we didn't play them at all in the league in that decade .the next league encounters were in 82/3 when we won 3_2 at ninian but lost 1-0 at somerton.

Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:55 pm

Halcyon days.

Worrying hairsytles.

Lots of coppers.