Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: Cardiff City’s New Assistant Manager?

Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:23 am

UPDATED:

James Rowberry won't be re-joining Cardiff coaching staff. Thought he was exactly what was needed.
Bulut has decided he wants to chose his own assistant.
I am happy with this decision.

James Rowberry Aged 39, recently managed Newport County in League 2 and has been appointed by the Cardiff City Board to be Erol Buluts Assistant Manager.

James Rowberry says that he learned "pure coaching" from Slade and Trollope, while under Warnock he learned "pure management".

He also credits Mick McCarthy with advising him on the role of being a manager prior to taking over at Newport.

James Rowberry believes Newport County were on the correct path under his guidance but acknowledges poor results cost him his job as manager.

But Rowberry has been sacked after a disappointing start to the season, with the Exiles 18th in the League Two table.

"Ultimately as a manager you are judged on results," Rowberry said.

“We haven't had the results we had hoped for this season.”

"I felt the team were always on the correct path and I have no doubt the team will progress within the league and achieve better results in the coming months, especially with key players due to come back from injury.”

"However, I respect the board's decision and I would like to personally thank the board, the sporting director Darren Kelly, the general manager Nigel Stephenson and especially the chairman Gavin Foxall.”

"Finally, to the supporters of Newport County AFC, thank you for your support, love and passion."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Are you happy with Cardiff City’s Assistant Manager?

Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:28 am

I see that as a smart move . I recall folk thought he was one for the future.
His experience at Newport will help his development ,its not all about success when building your knowledge and skill .

Re: Are you happy with Cardiff City’s New Assistant Manager?

Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:46 am

I said the other day that he seems to fall into the bracket of being a good coach but struggling with the top job.

This seems like a decent appointment.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:49 am

Reply Twitter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:01 pm

Reply:

Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:08 pm

He' s buluts cheap replacement if buluts results go tits up
How exiting.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:31 pm

montyblue wrote:He' s buluts cheap replacement if buluts results go tits up
How exiting.

That's it monty be positive got plenty time untill start season to be negative! ..... :clap:
He's well thought of in footballing circles do be nice to wait before making a judgement on him..

Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:51 pm

This is a very worrying situation on a number of fronts.

'The board have appointed'. So not Buluts choice. Bulut being undermined already?

Tan proving his meddling is back up and running

Whilst highly thought of in some circles Rowberry was sacked by Newport

What has happened to our existing Assistant Manager?

Clearly Buluts replacement if things don't go well.

For me it's disappointing. He Circus for 2024/25 has started, and if the calibre of signings resemble the calibre of coaching saff being appointed, not by the manager, BUT by the BOARD, then last year will seem positively exciting compared to this.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:52 pm

I will support him and the club no matter what but it does raise a few questions

Was Karydis deemed not good enough?
Is he still with the club or gone?
Was it the clubs choice or Buluts and/or did EB have a say in this?

Barclay1 said on here a while ago he was worried about cost cutting. I wonder if this is part of the cutting?
The club will have a ready made manager in the wing should EB get the boot so that's definitely saving time and money instead of looking for a replacement.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:27 pm

In answer to Pantmawr question I have looked at the main CCFC website (Management) and it still shows Karydas is still there as Assistant Coach.

I suspect that the role JR is coming into is a similar position to that of Karydas, maybe sat in between the two, concentrating on coaching and also concentrating a little on those additional management tasks Bulut wishes to offload.

It does make sense. Not only is he getting an extra coach but he is also freeing himself up from paperwork which, as we all know, gets in the way.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:07 pm

Yes, I think it is a good appointment really.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:08 pm

Barclay1 wrote:This is a very worrying situation on a number of fronts.

'The board have appointed'. So not Buluts choice. Bulut being undermined already?

For me it's disappointing. He Circus for 2024/25 has started, and if the calibre of signings resemble the calibre of coaching saff being appointed, not by the manager, BUT by the BOARD, then last year will seem positively exciting compared to this.

I’m no fan of the board but I think you’re reading a bit too much into this.

Rowberry is not a manager but is highly rated as a coach so seems a sensible choice to be an assistant manager.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:16 pm

They would have run this past Bulut before appointing him otherwise he would have walked if he didn't agree with it.
Johnny, all this anti-Tan bollocks makes you look like an idiot with an agenda. You're entitled to your opinion of course but I'm also entitled to point out you're being disingenuous.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:18 pm

What does Bullut think?? His choice??

Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:35 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

They would have run this past Bulut before appointing him otherwise he would have walked if he didn't agree with it.
Johnny, all this anti-Tan bollocks makes you look like an idiot with an agenda. You're entitled to your opinion of course but I'm also entitled to point out you're being disingenuous.

It's all about opinions of course, it gives the feel of being underwhelming, and the disappointing previous years cannot help but make one suspicious.

I'm sure you would expect me to maintain my Anti Tan stance. With the opening paragraphs indicating that this is a board appointment, it is obvious that my initial thoughts go straight to 'here we go again'.

More than happy to be proved wrong both in. Short term, pre season, and in the long term, end of the season.

Jonny

Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:49 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:

Rowberry is not a manager but is highly rated as a coach so seems a sensible choice to be an assistant manager.

Perhaps, and I suggested he was highly regarded by some. As I've said In a previous post, I'm happy to be proved wrong, but suspicion and cynicism has often been on the lips of Cardiff City fans for a number of years.

Perhaps I should say a very cautious welcome?!

Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:57 pm

Deal not done yet according to WO

Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:05 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Perhaps, and I suggested he was highly regarded by some. As I've said In a previous post, I'm happy to be proved wrong, but suspicion and cynicism has often been on the lips of Cardiff City fans for a number of years.

Perhaps I should say a very cautious welcome?!

Yeah, I would agree with that actually.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:13 pm

I was told Rowberry makes a great cup of tea.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:James Rowberry Aged 39, recently managed Newport County in League 2 and has been appointed by the Cardiff City Board to be Erol Buluts Assistant Manager.

James Rowberry says that he learned "pure coaching" from Slade and Trollope, while under Warnock he learned "pure management".

He also credits Mick McCarthy with advising him on the role of being a manager prior to taking over at Newport.

James Rowberry believes Newport County were on the correct path under his guidance but acknowledges poor results cost him his job as manager.

But Rowberry has been sacked after a disappointing start to the season, with the Exiles 18th in the League Two table.

"Ultimately as a manager you are judged on results," Rowberry said.

“We haven't had the results we had hoped for this season.”

"I felt the team were always on the correct path and I have no doubt the team will progress within the league and achieve better results in the coming months, especially with key players due to come back from injury.”

"However, I respect the board's decision and I would like to personally thank the board, the sporting director Darren Kelly, the general manager Nigel Stephenson and especially the chairman Gavin Foxall.”

"Finally, to the supporters of Newport County AFC, thank you for your support, love and passion."

Is it offical that he's assistant manager? .

Re: Are you happy with Cardiff City’s Assistant Manager?

Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:10 pm

New Day Rising wrote:I see that as a smart move . I recall folk thought he was one for the future.
His experience at Newport will help his development ,its not all about success when building your knowledge and skill .

Agree

Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:03 pm

How exiting.

That was my first thought, Bulut's replacement, a terrible one at that. We should've moved on from Bulut.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:25 pm

Don't like this at all.

Bulut should have his own selected assistant manager not what the board want. It feels like the club is being run like a High Street business.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
How exiting.

That's it monty be positive got plenty time untill start season to be negative! ..... :clap:
He's well thought of in footballing circles do be nice to wait before making a judgement on him..

Seems i am not just the only one who is negative.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:31 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Don't like this at all.

Bulut should have his own selected assistant manager not what the board want. It feels like the club is being run like a High Street business.

Has it been confirmed that he is his assistant? Can't find nothing official.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:30 pm

As someone who believed the championship caught Bulut and his team out, I think it's a brilliant idea. EB said he wanted a bigger team, I think he is intelligent enough to see he may have needed a new face in his group, a different perspective, someone with local experience.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:48 pm

montyblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
How exiting.

Good god ypur not! As I've said before some things can be seen two ways positive or negative like this topic? So why not see it in positive light he knows the championship and he's well thought of ..... that's positive thinking ? What happens if bulut brought in his own man from Turkey? People will be saying hasnt experience if championship like say about bulut.... that is negative but justifiable response because its correct..... People really can't have it both ways... plus your being very disingenuous about him He's not a cheap option or can say that about anyone who comes in and gets paid less than him "CHEAP"!

Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:04 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
montyblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
How exiting.

Good god ypur not! As I've said before some things can be seen two ways positive or negative like this topic? So why not see it in positive light he knows the championship and he's well thought of ..... that's positive thinking ? What happens if bulut brought in his own man from Turkey? People will be saying hasnt experience if championship like say about bulut.... that is negative but justifiable response because its correct..... People really can't have it both ways... plus your being very disingenuous about him He's not a cheap option or can say that about anyone who comes in and gets paid less than him "CHEAP"!

Good god if you can see that others are in agreement with me why are you not telling them not to be so negative so rather than just me.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:18 pm

llan bluebird wrote:As someone who believed the championship caught Bulut and his team out, I think it's a brilliant idea. EB said he wanted a bigger team, I think he is intelligent enough to see he may have needed a new face in his group, a different perspective, someone with local experience.

A very sensible post and I'm 100% with you. Bulut's coaching staff definitely need someone with English league experience. Hopefully he's the missing piece of the puzzle and we see more positive football next season.

Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:39 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:In answer to Pantmawr question I have looked at the main CCFC website (Management) and it still shows Karydas is still there as Assistant Coach.

I suspect that the role JR is coming into is a similar position to that of Karydas, maybe sat in between the two, concentrating on coaching and also concentrating a little on those additional management tasks Bulut wishes to offload.

It does make sense. Not only is he getting an extra coach but he is also freeing himself up from paperwork which, as we all know, gets in the way.

Paul, my understanding is that James Rowberry has been brought back in as ‘an’ Assistant, not ‘the’ Assistant; much in line with Erol Bulut’s request to the Board

I personally don’t see anything but positivity in this move, as he was highly valued in his previous role at the CCS

Just a shame so many just seem to want to jump on the negativity bandwagon regardless of known fact :roll: