Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ PL clubs interested in Rubin Colwill “

Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Premier League interest in Cardiff midfielder Rubin Colwill.

Ipswich manager Kieran McKenna among the admirers but do expect the Wales international to stay put.

Re: “ PL clubs interested in Rubin Colwill “

Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:17 pm

I really don't get the hype around Rubin Colwill, although I'll accept a lot will.

For me, a player with star quality changes games and makes a tangible, regular difference to the team. I've not seen that.

He has had the odd good game no doubt, but Bulut clearly doesn't rate/trust him.

He broke through under McCarthy, but that was a time when McCarthy just did what Tan wanted, and was in a position when kids simply had to be played.

I wish him well, but dare I say at 22, he should have a) made it as a regular starter and be influencing games, and b) been snapped up already by a bigger club.

This year is absolutely make or break for Rubin. If he flies and fulfills his potential, then we could potentially profit significantly. If he remains a bit part player, and remains with the bluebirds, I can see him being released in time, and plying his trade in Leagues One and Two.

To put my point into perspective, I think, based on where he was at,Ollie Tanner, if he continues to Improve has a better chance of a move away to better his development, and can potentially be a better player.

Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:19 pm

It's next season or never for him I think. Talk of him being a 10m+ player is nonsense at the moment as his stats are really not good enough. Add more goals and assists then maybe. He certainly is an enigma but one I'd like to see another season of.

Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:07 pm

Barclay1 wrote:I really don't get the hype around Rubin Colwill, although I'll accept a lot will.

For me, a player with star quality changes games and makes a tangible, regular difference to the team. I've not seen that.

He has had the odd good game no doubt, but Bulut clearly doesn't rate/trust him.

He broke through under McCarthy, but that was a time when McCarthy just did what Tan wanted, and was in a position when kids simply had to be played.

I wish him well, but dare I say at 22, he should have a) made it as a regular starter and be influencing games, and b) been snapped up already by a bigger club.

This year is absolutely make or break for Rubin. If he flies and fulfills his potential, then we could potentially profit significantly. If he remains a bit part player, and remains with the bluebirds, I can see him being released in time, and plying his trade in Leagues One and Two.

To put my point into perspective, I think, based on where he was at,Ollie Tanner, if he continues to Improve has a better chance of a move away to better his development, and can potentially be a better player.

Have to agree Barclay.

Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:36 pm

I hate to say this but Barclay isn't wrong here.

Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:40 pm

If we get a big offer then sell him .

Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:40 pm

Na I disagree Barclay
I think he’s class , have enjoyed watching him this season as he is improving all the time. Looks dangerous on the ball and very skillfull , the only thing is his fitness I believe cos of his build , but I rekon the new season is gonna be his to shine if he stays injury free

Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:54 pm

Richy roofer ccfc wrote:Na I disagree Barclay
I think he’s class , have enjoyed watching him this season as he is improving all the time. Looks dangerous on the ball and very skillfull , the only thing is his fitness I believe cos of his build , but I rekon the new season is gonna be his to shine if he stays injury free

He's what, 22 now and always seems to have an excuse, too young, built wrong, still growing, not fit etc. etc. and if this Euros has shown us anything so far it's that if you're good enough at anywhere between the ages of 16 & 41 you should be playing regularly.

Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:56 pm

Ok, he’s only showing glimpses so far. I’m not going to give the ole “there’s a player in there”

He has incredible ability. There’s absolutely no doubt about that. You only have to watch him play, and see some of the things he does on the ball, and his technique. The guy has unbelievable ability. It’s just a case of if he can harness it.

Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:55 am

So here's the question.

If we are offered £6m plus add ons (now) would you take it?

Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:58 am

Paul Keevil wrote:So here's the question.

Yeah too right.

We will be lucky to get anywhere near that.

Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:02 am

I think he may have something, he progresses very slowly but he is still getting better, a big season for him.

Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:44 am

Bite there hands off imagine the reinforcements we could get it with 6m

Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:01 am

100% yes. Particularly if an add on was a % of any sell on. It’s a possible gamble to let him go I agree but I think a bigger one in keeping him. £6m is a good deal imo.

Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:08 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if Southampton came in for him. Their greasy manager seemed to like him.

Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:13 am

Keep. One big season and he'll be worth double. Obviously the flip is another poor return for goals and assists and he could be L1 or L2.

He's showing signs. I don't understand who said "Bulut doesn't trust him".

Out of 46 league games
Rubin appeared in 36
Started 14

I'd say that's there or abouts for a 22 year old for appearances.

My biggest concern is his 1 goal and 2 assists. He needs to be getting close to 20 G+A in my opinion.

He's one of four last season who can pick the ball up and run at defences with decent impact. I'd say 2 of those 4 are crocked with injuries (Rambo & O'Dowda) and the other (Grant) has gone.

Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:31 am

In my opinion, Colwill is a good player who we should be fighting to keep.

People only say we can see "glimpses" of his ability but that's because he is only getting cameos from the bench. He only has a limited amount of time during the game to play and that's why we only see "glimpses". He's not a star by any stretch but he's a very decent player to have

Start him every/most games in a season and we will see his ability

He wouldn't keep being selected by Wales if he wasn't good enough

Remember, as much as this pains me to say, we are a mid championship team at the moment and to have an international youngster in our squad like Rubin is vital. We wont get any better young players coming through. Not yet anyway looking at the results from Purse's U21 teams

Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:37 pm

Could he and his brother possibly help get us up to the PL again? Surely it's enticing for him to play alongside Joel (if they're good enough). Or, is he afraid that Joel may eclipse him and move on before that could happen

Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:42 pm

Hasn't really proved himself yet fully at championship level, so don't think personally that he's good enough right now for the prem.

Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:18 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

He's what, 22 now and always seems to have an excuse, too young, built wrong, still growing, not fit etc. etc. and if this Euros has shown us anything so far it's that if you're good enough at anywhere between the ages of 16 & 41 you should be playing regularly.

If he gets more game time he can show his class this season , I believe it is his time ,
We need to keep our young quality players

Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:30 pm

Richy roofer ccfc wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:

If he gets more game time he can show his class this season , I believe it is his time ,

One goal and three assists in 56 league appearances over the last two seasons. In those games, he’s had more yellow cards than goals and assists.

Can you honestly say that you’d pleased if we signed an attacking player with those stats?

Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:17 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Richy roofer ccfc wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:

One goal and three assists in 56 league appearances over the last two seasons. In those games, he’s had more yellow cards than goals and assists.

Can you honestly say that you’d pleased if we signed an attacking player with those stats?

In those 56 appearances how many minutes has he actually played mind ? Not many I would think , he’s had different managers constantly and different players coming in ,
Maybe this season he will find his peak and play the full 90 , his stats would be much higher I’d say

Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:22 am

Great skill and technique but unfortunately at 6-3 he can’t head the ball and I worry about his overall fitness he seems to be one of those players that fitness doesn’t come naturally. I don’t like selling home grown talent but any offer we get and we can reinvest I would take. I think 6 million is being slightly optimistic