Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

One thing learnt from England's pathetic 1-1 with Denmark in

Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:21 am

One thing learnt from England's pathetic 1-1 with Denmark in the Euros last night is the installation of two quality centre backs and two decent full backs in a four-man defence allows you to be more adventurous in midfield.

Cardiff must ensure the centre back positions are strong, which will unleash at least five attack-minded players in the team - that's assuming we play Siopis as the midfield. anchor.

I believe this is why Bulut is searching for a Kavanagh type player as an eight - we don't have anybody currently on staff who fits the bill.

Rinamohta, Adams, Joel Colwill, although he has huge potential, Ralls, King and Wintle are too much alike. You could easily shed three of these names, raise the odd fee, and get about £3m pa off the wage bill.

Re: One thing learnt from England's pathetic 1-1 with Denmar

Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:03 pm

I have to say that England match was by far the worst game I've seen at Euro 24.

England were turgid, disjointed, lacklustre and just not easy on the eye - so boring!

Sadly, it reminded me of City at times last season: passing sideways across the back 4, zero penetration, no confidence, inverted wingers and an isolated, immobile striker!

Southgate = facsimile of Bulut

Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:13 pm

Well let's hope that Bulut takes note of the deserved criticism levelled at this England team and decides to move away from his safety first approach. Not necessarily gung-ho football but certainly give the team a more attacking platform for next season.

Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:34 pm

That tactic last night was THE one only Erol Bulut tactic. I have rarely seen it used well and offensively by any manager, let alone Bulut, and certainly not that good to watch when it works! And that never really happened last season. Watching that last night gave me the tremors that we have another season of that particularly at home. The reason it goes sideways and backwards is because you press and overload in midfield against the two CDMs forcing the three in front to retreat and support and therefore isolate the front man, who is struggling anyway when we have the ball because the 'wingers' are set up to invert and they dont have full backs bombing on on overlaps to compensate. There are other factors to as highlighted by Annis. What do i know anyway, i dont have coaching badges or played the game professionally and neither do the CCS crowd, yet we have all seen, felt and been frustrated enough to shout out for change. Southgate was getting those cat calls, and like Bulut refused to try something different. Imagine Klopp or Pep with those players, would they play that formation? Would they hell, goals and attempts on goal galore.

Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:26 am

tangledupinblue wrote:That tactic last night was THE one only Erol Bulut tactic. I have rarely seen it used well and offensively by any manager, let alone Bulut, and certainly not that good to watch when it works! And that never really happened last season. Watching that last night gave me the tremors that we have another season of that particularly at home. The reason it goes sideways and backwards is because you press and overload in midfield against the two CDMs forcing the three in front to retreat and support and therefore isolate the front man, who is struggling anyway when we have the ball because the 'wingers' are set up to invert and they dont have full backs bombing on on overlaps to compensate. There are other factors to as highlighted by Annis. What do i know anyway, i dont have coaching badges or played the game professionally and neither do the CCS crowd, yet we have all seen, felt and been frustrated enough to shout out for change. Southgate was getting those cat calls, and like Bulut refused to try something different. Imagine Klopp or Pep with those players, would they play that formation? Would they hell, goals and attempts on goal galore.

That's the crux of the situation really. Its a coach's choice on the tactics and formation used.

I'm not keen on seeing another season of back foot conservative Bulutball. I really hope that Erol can expand his tactical repertoire this season and trust his players to express themselves rather than send them into the creative abyss.

Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:33 pm

One point picked up by most - they play mostly on the right hand side ;)