Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Callum Robinson ‘

Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:23 pm

Writer
ccfcinsider

23rd June 2024

CALLUM ROBINSON: MAKE OR BREAK?

It's been a topsy-turvy twelve months for Callum Robinson who heads into the last twelve months of his deal in the Welsh Capital, with a departure this summer perhaps not ruled out, however should City keep hold of Robbo and give him another chance?

Callum Robinson in action for Cardiff City.
What does Robinson offer?

Callum Robinson is a talented footballer, there's no denying that. Robbo is capable of beating a man and making key decisions in the final third. The 29 year-old is a player that likes to be in the centre of things, dictating play and making a positive effect on the game. A big asset of Robinson's is his versatility, with the Irish international capable of playing as a striker, left winger, right winger and playing as an attacking midfielder. Robinson offers creativity and when on it can effect a game especially at Championship level.

Versatility:

As I briefly mentioned, one of Robbo's main assets is his ability to play all four attacking roles. Robinson was signed as a striker and excelled in that role, however due to his desire to get involved in play, Robbo's minutes in the 23/24 season typically came behind the striker or out wide. Robinson can contribute in all four positions. When fit, Robinson has consistently contributed with a good number assists whilst scoring goals also. Robbo proved especially under Mark Hudson that when put in the right areas, he can be lethal in front of goal.

Creativity:

Think Blackpool at home under Hudson, where Robinson beats a man, this creating space for himself, then finding Kion Etete with a ridiculous outside of the foot pass and Etete finished nicely. Robinson's ability to setup teammates is a bi gasset. Norwich at home in the season just gone is another prime example, beats a man and sets up an inch-perfect ball for Bowler to tap in at the back post. Some will deny Robinson's ability, however over his career he has built up enough credibility to prove these people wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ Callum Robinson ‘

Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:25 pm

Intelligence:

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with being a creative player, but, Callum Robinson is a very intelligent footballer, and demands a lot from others when playing. Robinson is capable of being the difference in games, as proven in the 22/23 games. Being that step ahead of others and positively effecting games. Huddersfield away last season was Robinsion showing off his ability and intelligence, and that has been my favourite game of his in a City shirt, helped by a nice goal of course, Robinson was gliding past players and picking out some brilliant passes and getting in great spaces.

Work Rate:

Perhaps something that isn't as valued, because there's arguments to be had that this side of his game is inconsistent, but more often than not, Robinson is a grafter for the team. In terms of pressing high and supporting the striker whilst pressing. Robbo is an intense footballer that when working hard is a nuisance to the opposition.

Why could City choose to sell?

Callum Robinson is now in his final twelve months of his Cardiff deal. After a unsuccessful first season under Erol Bulut, it's easy to say Bulut could just choose to sell Robbo this summer. Robinson was disciplined by the club at the back end of last season, something Bulut is very strict and has high standards on.

Last chance to Cash-In?

Cardiff could see this from a financial point of view, and identify this summer as the club's last opportunity to make back some of the £1.5M they payed for the Irish international. At the age of 29 and with twelve months left on his deal, City are running out of time to make some of that money back. Callum Robinson is also rumoured to be on around £20,000 a week, which especially at Cardiff, it's likely Robinson will be one of the, if not, the club's highest earning players. City could look to get that wage off the bill and spend it elsewhere in a more needed position. I think it's also unlikely Robinsion will accept a wage cut.

Attitude:

Now this has been a running theme in Robinson's career, and being disciplined by the club last season had fans talking about it again. Robbo is guilty of waving arms about when things aren't going his way, people see that different to others, I see that as a winner wanting more from others, however others will see it as a player with poor attitude. Erol Bulut is a straight talker, and you get the impression he will not deal with poor attitude.

Competition for places:

I'm a believer that you can never have too much competition, however there's a chance Robinson could find himself as the fourth choice attacking midfielder, behind Ramsey, Colwill and Turnbull. Third or fourth choice choice striker as the club are trying to bring in two strikers as well as the returning Isaak Davies. There's room on the wing for Robinson to compete, and that is a position he previously played on a regular basis.

Bulut preferring others?

I think there has definitely been murmurs in the fan base that Bulut isn't a fan of Robinson. Bulut has praised Robinson but also hasn't hidden his views on what the 29 year-old needs to improve. The pair have been spotted having disagreements on the pitch, however I wouldn't read much into that as it's not irregular seeing a player and manager disagree on things during a game. I do believe Robinson missing the start of the season had an effect on his entire season, as he failed to get into any real rhythm in terms of performances.

Conclusion - Make or Break?

I'm a fan of Robbo's and certainly value what he can bring to the team. He had an off season, but that doesn't dispute what he's done at this level previously. If Callum Robinson is fully committed to Cardiff City then I would like to see him have an opportunity to show that in this upcoming season.

I think the feeling is with some is that bridge is already burnt, and those feel Robinson should be sold, and I understand that to agree, however I find it difficult to overlook a player that except for an odd season here and there has performed at this level.

If City are serious about challenging for the play-offs then a fit Robinson can play a part in that, as he has experience of competing at the top end of the Championship. Robbo could be a valuable squad player that will pop up with five or six in a season which could be the difference.

Pre Season will be huge for Robbo as he looks to prove a point to some. There's obviously a chance Robinson might not be here by the end of pre season if the club choose to cash-in. One thing worth mentioning is, if Robinson does stay, there will need to be a shift in performance levels, as they fell below par on occasions last season.

To conclude, I think it's fair to say it's make or break for Robinson especially if he wishes to continue playing in the top half of the Championship for the season to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:26 pm

A fit and motivated Robinson along with an injury free Ramsey and O Dowda would be like having three new quality signings.

Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:38 pm

No from me. The standard and question we need to ask from now is "is he top 6 quality". Unfortunately, he's not in my opinion.

Replace with someone more hungry if possible.

If he was top 6 quality then he'd have been snapped up ny now.

Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:42 pm

Probably one of our most skilled operators , he seemed to be sidelined when Rambo arrived ?

Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:43 pm

Absolute waste of £25k a week.
Get rid ASAP. Walks around the pitch not giving a f**k. Considering the money he earns, he's one of our worst ever signings.

Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:16 pm

I only see him as a no.10 but I'd never play him ahead of a fit Ramsey and Colwill for me gets the nod over him too. I'd also like to see more of Turnball in the side so that leaves no room whatsoever for Robinson.

He's not a striker and he's not a winger so time for him to go.

Not sure whether he'd leave with my thanks either after last season.

Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:54 pm

A bit harsh saying that he walks around the pitch not giving a Fuk ,
I remember when he pulled his hamstring and had to keep playing when lamouchi in charge , that tells me he does give a Fuk , just maybe he doesn’t get on with bulut , but a fully fit Robinson needed for this whole season if he stays

Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:51 pm

JJ1927 wrote:A fit and motivated Robinson along with an injury free Ramsey and O Dowda would be like having three new quality signings.

There lies the problem.

He’s injured a lot of the time and when he isn’t, he doesn’t put in the effort.

I remember a few saying at the start of last season that Robinson should be playing. I constantly said he was too lazy and was ultimately proved right when he did get his chance.

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:55 pm

JJ1927 wrote:A fit and motivated Robinson along with an injury free Ramsey and O Dowda would be like having three new quality signings.

:thumbup:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:08 am

He's a good play no daught about that .something wasn't right don't no what but he's been off the pace for all to see.
If he comes into this season and it's the player we all no and he's on song would love to see that .
Issue is we been waiting a while .
I think he will come good for us give him a run in the team he's a good player

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:38 pm

brickyblue wrote:He's a good play no daught about that .something wasn't right don't no what but he's been off the pace for all to see.
If he comes into this season and it's the player we all no and he's on song would love to see that .
Issue is we been waiting a while .
I think he will come good for us give him a run in the team he's a good player

Let's hope so ...