Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Osian Roberts

Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:13 pm

I'm surprised at the Twitter posts i read today with so many saying we have to get Osian Roberts. Why is he so popular?

I see him as an organiser or administrator but it's a little late to be the lonely leader. He has never managed at senior level !!!

He is the frontman for Cesc Fabregas, while waiting for him to get the correct certificates, then he is moving upstairs for next season's crack at Seria A.

I also see the Bellamy/Roberts ticket, can the FAW afford that? As I guess we'll have to continue to pay Page until someone comes in for him :lol:

The bookies have Roberts as fav, i just don't see it

Re: Osian Roberts

Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:10 pm

Well we couldn't afford Pep so who do you suggest ?

In all seriousness it doesn't really matter if he has never managed at "senior level", whatever it is that you mean by that. Not sure anyone would need to have managed at senior level anyway, I would think that national team management is a totally different animal to club management as you can't just bring in the players you want. Although I'm sure some experience at managing & tactics would help in most cases.

Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:19 pm

Bellemy is the standout candidate although I am surprised that Ashley Williams isn't interested or talked about.

I agree international football is a different kettle of fish and the Welsh job is about the shop window rather than the salary for bigger names.

I got it wrong he has managed a men's team, Porthmadog for 7 years.

I get the feeling the Welsh-speaking politicised element of the FAW sees him as the perfect man to take the "movement" forward rather than purely football.

Paul Trollope was a great Wales mens coach.

Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:53 am

llan bluebird wrote:Bellemy is the standout candidate although I am surprised that Ashley Williams isn't interested or talked about.

I agree international football is a different kettle of fish and the Welsh job is about the shop window rather than the salary for bigger names.

I get the feeling the Welsh-speaking politicised element of the FAW sees him as the perfect man to take the "movement" forward rather than purely football.

Pretty common knowledge that Roberts was the tactical mind behind Euro 2016 and that didn’t go badly !! Coleman picked the team and motivated and the pairing worked well together.

Just like Bellers and Roberts could.

Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:07 pm

Thierry hènry being mentioned on radio Wales news... not to sure about that..

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:48 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Thierry hènry being mentioned on radio Wales news... not to sure about that..

Terry Henry is going for Gold for France at the Olympics - what happens next ???

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:16 am

Roberts won’t leave Como.

I’ve been saying this for months. Anybody who thinks he’s going to give up working with Fabregas over there to take this job are kidding themselves.

I don’t blame him one bit.

Thierry Henry’s name seems to have been mentioned a lot today. It’s an interesting one.

The Olympic final is in early August so he could still do that and take over the Wales job afterwards.

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:34 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Roberts won’t leave Como.

I’ve been saying this for months. Anybody who thinks he’s going to give up working with Fabregas over there to take this job are kidding themselves.

Thierry Henry’s name seems to have been mentioned a lot today. It’s an interesting one.

The Olympic final is in early August so he could still do that and take over the Wales job afterwards.

Also he would be able to carry on with his commercial work just like Giggs fid.... so won't break the bank getting him

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:54 am

Simon Jordan saying how terrible he would be, a case of the Welsh FA on an autograph mission, he's got a poor record as an actual Manager according to Jordan.

It's a no from me too, Bellamy and/or Osian would all be a better fit.

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:58 am

piledriver64 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Bellemy is the standout candidate although I am surprised that Ashley Williams isn't interested or talked about.

Pretty common knowledge that Roberts was the tactical mind behind Euro 2016 and that didn’t go badly !! Coleman picked the team and motivated and the pairing worked well together.

Just like Bellers and Roberts could.

That is the dream team they would be the best option :thumbup:

Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:40 am

Some see him as more of an organizer than a senior-level manager. The Bellamy/Roberts idea sounds intriguing, but budget-wise, I'm not sure if the FAW can swing it.

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:30 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Simon Jordan saying how terrible he would be, a case of the Welsh FA on an autograph mission, he's got a poor record as an actual Manager according to Jordan.

It's a no from me too, Bellamy and/or Osian would all be a better fit.

I’ll say it again, Roberts being involved in any way is unlikely.