Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Josh Murphy ‘

Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:29 pm

Josh Murphy has made the shock decision to leave Oxford United to join Championship rivals Portsmouth after firing the U's to promotion last season.

Former Bluebird Murphy was one of four ex-Cardiff players in the Oxford team last season. And while he failed to ignite in his first year at the club, he finished incredibly strongly and even netted both goals in the 2-0 play-off final win over Bolton.

Given it was the end of his contract, U's fans got twitchy when there was no sign of him signing a new deal with the club and last night it was confirmed that he is heading to Fratton Park next term. Sign up to our Cardiff City newsletter here.

Writing on social media with regards to his Oxford exit, he said: "By far the hardest decision of my career and one I haven’t taken lightly.

"A decision which I feel is best for me and my family. When I came to Oxford I wanted to find my love for the game again and achieve promotion… which over the last season we all know what happened. I can’t thank the manager enough for the faith he has put in me, along with the incredible supporting staff.

"This club, this team, this city and these fans will always have a big place in my heart and I’m so thankful for all the support that got us to the Championship. I wish the boys and the club all the best next season in this exciting league!"

Upon signing for Pompey, he said: "Super excited to start my next chapter of my career with this great club - looking forward to meeting you fans and creating more success!! Let's get to work."

Manager John Mousinho said: "Josh brings a wealth of Premier League and Championship experience. He was one of the outstanding players in League One during the second half of last season, which culminated in that Wembley brace to take Oxford up.

"Josh can get the fans excited with the way he plays, so we’re absolutely delighted to get the deal done."

Re: ‘ Josh Murphy ‘

Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:21 pm

If it meant that much to him he’d have stayed.

Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:37 pm

One last big pay day really from what I've heard.

He either takes the payday or enjoys his football.

Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:44 pm

He was enjoying his football at Oxford! It could all go horribly wrong again for him as he seems to find it hard to settle at certain clubs.

Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:57 pm

Apparently he didn't want to leave Oxford but it was out of his hands ?

That's what his Mrs said on twitter

Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:07 pm

20k a week three year contract is something Oxford could never compete with.

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:18 pm

Terry B wrote:He was enjoying his football at Oxford! It could all go horribly wrong again for him as he seems to find it hard to settle at certain clubs.

Exactly what I was thinking. Can't believe he's leaving them after they've just rekindled his career. This will be his last big pay cheque though I suppose so money talks as it always does in football.

Must admit, I adsolutely despised the guy, biggest pussy Ive ever seen wear a Cardiff City shirt. Financially, must be up there as our biggest ever flop too!

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:31 am

And he will score against us :banghead: