Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ Cardiff City player Pleads Guilty as he used homophobic “

Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:37 am

Exclusive: Mahlon Romeo used homophobic language 'numerous' times while being held at a police station

Thursday 27th June 2024

A Cardiff City footballer launched into a homophobic rant at a police officer. Bluebirds right-back Mahlon Romeo, 28, was fined last month for drink-driving and abusive behaviour towards a police officer. WalesOnline can now reveal the homophobic nature of the abuse, which happened on February 8 while Romeo was being held at a Cardiff police station after his arrest for drink-driving.

He told officers in the station they were "all c***s" and he aimed homophobic slurs at one particular officer. The Crown Prosecution Service said Romeo repeatedly called the officer "a gay c***" and "gay boy" as well as branding him a "nonce". The Antigua and Barbuda international used homophobic language "numerous" times during the incident.

Romeo, of Cefn Coed Road in Cyncoed, appeared at Cardiff Magistrates' Court and pleaded guilty to driving a Mercedes-Benz on Cefn Coed Road with 58mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mcg. He also admitted a public order offence relating to his abuse of the police officer. Romeo was fined £3,317 for the public order offence and £4,423 for drink-driving. He was also banned from driving for 14 months and ordered to pay £100 in compensation to the officer as well as £3,095 in victim services surcharges and £85 in prosecution costs.

On its website Cardiff City says it has a commitment to "eliminate discrimination" over sexual orientation. In February the club announced it was supporting the 'Football v Homophobia' campaign and was taking "a clear stand against homophobia and transphobia so that everyone can enjoy the beautiful game". WalesOnline has asked whether Cardiff City has taken any action in light of Romeo's homophobic abuse. The club has not responded.

Since joining Cardiff City in 2022 the defender has made 51 appearances for the club. In 2020, during his time at Millwall, he made headlines by speaking out against "discriminatory behaviour". His comments came after Millwall fans booed players for taking the knee in an anti-racism gesture. Romeo said fans who booed had "personally disrespected not just me but the football club", adding: "What they've done is booed and condemned a peaceful gesture which was put in place to highlight, combat and stop any discriminatory behaviour and racism."

In April the Bluebirds boss Erol Bulut revealed Romeo and teammate Callum Robinson had been disciplined by the club. Bulut declined to expand on the details, describing the move as an "internal" issue. "I said at the start of the season, discipline and respect is the most important thing for me," Bulut said. "They were a little bit away from that." Romeo returned to the first team line-up just over a week after those comments, starting the final three games of the Championship season against Southampton, Middlesbrough and Rotherham United.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ Cardiff City player Pleads Guilty as he used homophobi

Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:53 am

The club now have a lot to think about

Drink driving and homophobic abuse surely is something they need to distance themselves from

Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:24 am

Replies:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:41 am

Clearly a bad egg it seems, no room for them in the dressing room.

May be the last we see of him perhaps. Dont mind too much as he's one of those players that never seems that bothered about getting out of 3rd gear. Just coasts through games.

Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:59 am

I could forgive him for drunk driving. Stupid, and I know people who have been killed as a result of drunk driving, but I could forgive him.

What I cannot forgive is homophobia. That is a choice a person makes, in the knowledge that his teammates, members of the opposing side, and a significant part of the supporters may prefer a partner of the same sex.

In today's climate, there is just no need for homophobia.

If it were me I would personally cease his contract with immediate effect due to Gross Misconduct. No paying him till the end of his contract. No 3 month salary. The salary stops now.

That should be the message Cardiff City send out - and be clear as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:06 pm

Get rid

Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:08 pm

Get rid save the wages he's shit anyway .

Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:23 pm

Don't rate him and sounds like a bell end if this is true,get rid.

Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:48 pm

We must get rid of him The club must have something in the contract which would allow us to terminate it and save money Let’s face it no one is going to offer us money for him

Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:06 pm

How can you forgive someone for drink driving,it kills people , while I don't agree with homophobia surely it should be the other way around, being homophobic doesn't kill people or am I looking at this wrong

Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:40 pm

He has brought the club into disrepute and surely this is an easy chance to off him from our books with no compensation package or would he still be entitled to anything?

Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:41 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:I could forgive him for drunk driving. Stupid, and I know people who have been killed as a result of drunk driving, but I could forgive him.

What I cannot forgive is homophobia. That is a choice a person makes, in the knowledge that his teammates, members of the opposing side, and a significant part of the supporters may prefer a partner of the same sex.

If it were me I would personally cease his contract with immediate effect due to Gross Misconduct. No paying him till the end of his contract. No 3 month salary. The salary stops now.

That should be the message Cardiff City send out - and be clear as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Paul, you mention that homophobia is a choice, which it is, but so is drink driving. Its not just stupid, it is reckless and he could have killed someone.

No one forced him to get behind the wheel. He chose that.

The club should now choose to send him on his merry way.

Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:59 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:I could forgive him for drunk driving. Stupid, and I know people who have been killed as a result of drunk driving, but I could forgive him.

Paul, you mention that homophobia is a choice, which it is, but so is drink driving. Its not just stupid, it is reckless and he could have killed someone.

Good post RB. Have to agree. :thumbup:

Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:12 pm

ion wrote:How can you forgive someone for drink driving,it kills people , while I don't agree with homophobia surely it should be the other way around, being homophobic doesn't kill people or am I looking at this wrong

They’re both abhorrent.

Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:24 pm

Everyone calm down, there needs to be consistency. We are not sacking him for drunk driving as he can claim unfair dismissal as we have turned a blind eye to previous D & D's and failed drugs tests !!!

The homophobic slur is a tough one, i guess his contract will have a dignity at work and values section and if we deem that to be gross misconduct we are potentially making it the punishment for those sorts of misconducts. Imagine that a talented kid worth a fortune is the next one, then what?

It's interesting, I can see a settlement, NDA's and a mutual quiet parting. He'll get a L1 club

Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:27 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Everyone calm down, there needs to be consistency. We are not sacking him for drunk driving as he can claim unfair dismissal as we have turned a blind eye to previous D & D's and failed drugs tests !!!

The homophobic slur is a tough one, i guess his contract will have a dignity at work and values section and if we deem that to be gross misconduct we are potentially making it the punishment for those sorts of misconducts. Imagine that a talented kid worth a fortune is the next one, then what?

It's interesting, I can see a settlement, NDA's and a mutual quiet parting. He'll get a L1 club

So just because a better player may do similar we have to be careful. What an awfully small minded attitude. I don’t care how good a player you are, you use homophobic slurs I don’t want you at my club

Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:48 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:Everyone calm down, there needs to be consistency. We are not sacking him for drunk driving as he can claim unfair dismissal as we have turned a blind eye to previous D & D's and failed drugs tests !!!

So just because a better player may do similar we have to be careful. What an awfully small minded attitude. I don’t care how good a player you are, you use homophobic slurs I don’t want you at my club

It would be interesting what the PFA will do. Romeo has been brave in calling out and standing up against racism, so after his obligatory apologetic statement and counseling what will be their stance on any punishment?

Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:35 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
Underhill1927 wrote:

It would be interesting what the PFA will do. Romeo has been brave in calling out and standing up against racism, so after his obligatory apologetic statement and counseling what will be their stance on any punishment?

Romeo seems to be inclusive when it suits him

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:24 am

Calling someone a c*** is just as bad as the homophobic slur, in my opinion.

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:40 am

Roath_Blue wrote:

Totally agree. It's a sad world we live in when name calling is a worse offence than operating a deadly machine whilst drunk.

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:55 am

I'm not defending it, and may get slated; but worse is said in every stand of every ground in the UK, every week.

Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:04 am

SB 1927 wrote:I'm not defending it, and may get slated; but worse is said in every stand of every ground in the UK, every week.

What did he say?

Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:06 am

SB 1927 wrote:I'm not defending it, and may get slated; but worse is said in every stand of every ground in the UK, every week.

You’re not wrong there mate but as you say l, it doesn’t make it right. I hope the club take a strong stance on this

Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:07 am

GrangeHill wrote:Calling someone a c*** is just as bad as the homophobic slur, in my opinion.

Can you explain why? One is a crass swear word, the other is an attack on someone because of their sexuality. To compare the two is completely unfair in my opinion.

Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:31 am

Just for clarification on my above posts I have had a family member, on my wife's side, who was killed by a drink driver. Most of her family, although not all, were able to forgive if not forget. Wrong place wrong time.

Homophobia, for me, is something I could not forgive. It is a life choice to treat someone different just because of the partner they choose.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone. I've recent found out that I'm autistic and sometimes my messages come out differently to what I intended

Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:25 am

Paul Keevil wrote:Just for clarification on my above posts I have had a family member, on my wife's side, who was killed by a drink driver. Most of her family, although not all, were able to forgive if not forget. Wrong place wrong time.

Homophobia, for me, is something I could not forgive. It is a life choice to treat someone different just because of the partner they choose.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone. I've recent found out that I'm autistic and sometimes my messages come out differently to what I intended

Sorry to hear of your loss and also for your recent diagnosis. Now you know the reason for your traits, hopefully this will help you go forward.

We all have different options, this forum would be boring without them.

Homophobia is disgusting, but I personally can't compare that to driving a deadly machine whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Hurting someone's feelings, and yes it can harm people mentally, doesn't compare to taking a life.

Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:16 am

Paul Keevil wrote:Just for clarification on my above posts I have had a family member, on my wife's side, who was killed by a drink driver. Most of her family, although not all, were able to forgive if not forget. Wrong place wrong time.

There was no offense taken from my side, and everyone has their own opinions.

My opinion is that drink driving is a choice, as they get behind the wheel knowing that they are over the limit, and knowing that the vehicle is then a weapon, a very dangerous weapon at that.

Homophobia is bad, and I don't agree with it at all, but calling someone a homophobic slur will hurt them mentally yes, but is it like ramming into them at 40mph with a ton of metal?

I'm not so sure

Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:21 pm

Underhill1927 wrote:
GrangeHill wrote:Calling someone a c*** is just as bad as the homophobic slur, in my opinion.

Can you explain why? One is a crass swear word, the other is an attack on someone because of their sexuality. To compare the two is completely unfair in my opinion.