Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Confirmed: Pre-Season 2024 | Hamburger SV vs. Cardiff City F

Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:14 am

Pre-Season 2024 | Hamburger SV vs. Cardiff City

League 2 Bundesliga

The Bluebirds will take on Hamburger SV in a pre-season friendly on Sunday, July 21st in Bramberg, Austria.

The fixture will take place at the Smaragd-Arena in Bramberg, which is the home of Austrian fourth division side, TSU Bramberg, with kick-off at 4pm local time (3pm UK time).

Ticket details and streaming information for this fixture, along with details of additional friendlies taking place in Austria, will be confirmed in due course.

Hamburg compete in the 2. Bundesliga and finished the 2023/24 campaign in fourth position, narrowly missing out on a chance at promotion to the top tier of German football.

Managed by Steffen Baumgart, Hamburg's top scorer last term was former City striker Robert Glatzel, who scored 11 goals in 58 appearances for the Bluebirds between 2019 and 2021.

This will be our first meeting with Die Rothosen since the 1967/68 European Cup Winners' Cup Semi-Final. A memorable piece of Cardiff City history, the Bluebirds battled with Hamburg over two legs for a spot in the Final, with the German side narrowly winning 4-3 on aggregate. You can read more about these famous European ties here.

2024 pre-season fixtures

Cardiff City vs. Kidderminster Harriers. Cardiff International Sports Campus, Wednesday 10th July, 7:30pm.

Cardiff City vs. K.V. Kortrijk. Cardiff International Sports Campus, Saturday 13th July, 12pm.

Cardiff City vs. Penybont FC. Cardiff International Sports Campus, Tuesday 16th July, 7:30pm.

Hamburger SV vs. Cardiff City. Smaragd-Arena, Bramberg, Tuesday 21st July, 4pm (local time)

Cardiff City vs. Reading FC. Cardiff City Stadium, Wednesday 31st July, 7:30pm.

Bristol Rovers vs. Cardiff City. Memorial Stadium, Saturday 3rd August, 3pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Confirmed: Pre-Season 2024 | Hamburger SV vs. Cardiff Ci

Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:35 am

League 2 Bundesliga

Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:19 pm

Jesus, there’s a blast from the past. I was at that home leg.

Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:19 pm

I can't put into words how I felt when their late winner went in.

Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:54 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:I can't put into words how I felt when their late winner went in.

What memories that brings back. A warm spring night if i remember rightly with 45,000 packed into Ninian Park. Beating Real Madrid was a great scalp but for me that was our finest achievement in Europe. I think we would have won in extra time. So close to a European final against AC Milan.

Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:06 am

salopiancity wrote:Jesus, there’s a blast from the past. I was at that home leg.

The Hamburg team was packed with players who had faced England in the '66 world cup final so to run them close was a great effort. I have this memory of Brian Harris scoring for us that night, he didn't score many but I seem to remember his feet were about 5 feet off the ground when he headed in. I also remember the spin on the ball the took it into our net for their winner. We had some huge crowds during that era and to be in NP with 50,000 in the ground was amazing.

Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:22 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:I can't put into words how I felt when their late winner went in.

What memories that brings back. A warm spring night if i remember rightly with 45,000 packed into Ninian Park. Beating Real Madrid was a great scalp but for me that was our finest achievement in Europe. I think we would have won in extra time. So close to a European final against AC Milan.

Wouldn't the away goals rule come into play? Spurs went out that way in the quarters according to the good old internet

Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:02 pm

luxy1970 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Wouldn't the away goals rule come into play? Spurs went out that way in the quarters according to the good old internet

The away goals rule may not have been in in those days and even if it was only used in the very early rounds. I think it was up to but not including the QF. It wasn't until the early or mid 70's that it applied to all stages. City had a replay in Germany running up to the Hamburg game as beat Moscow Torpedo 1-0 at home but lost 1-0 away.

Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:17 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
luxy1970 wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

The away goals rule may not have been in in those days and even if it was only used in the very early rounds. I think it was up to but not including the QF. It wasn't until the early or mid 70's that it applied to all stages. City had a replay in Germany running up to the Hamburg game as beat Moscow Torpedo 1-0 at home but lost 1-0 away.

Cheers

Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:56 am

remember it well went the Real Madrid game as well and i remember us playing Arsenal in the Fa Cup all with huge crowds 1969 and we drew 0-0