Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING: WALES ANNOUNCE NEW MANAGER

Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:51 pm

Craig Bellamy has been named the new Wales manager.

Bellamy, 44, emerged as the Football Association of Wales (FAW's) first choice to replace Rob Page, who was sacked last month.

Bellamy was working at Burnley, where he had been acting head coach before Scott Parker’s appointment last week.
Parker was keen to work with the Welshman, but it the former Wales captain was attracted to managing his country.

The appointment brings to an end the search to replace Page who was sacked last month after failing to lead Wales to Euro 2024.

Bellamy had long stated his ambition to manage his country and met with senior FAW figures last week.
Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, Georgia boss Willy Sagnol and surprise contender Oxford United boss Des Buckingham were all spoken to about the post.

But Bellamy, who narrowly missed out to Ryan Giggs for job in 2018, is said to have impressed during discussions – and will now get the chance to lead the side in qualification for the 2026 World Cup.

His first game as Wales manager will be a Nations League home tie against Turkey on 6 September, followed by a trip to Montenegro on 9 September.

Bellamy scored 19 times for Wales, including the winner against Italy in 2002.
Bellamy made 78 appearances for Wales before retiring from international football in 2013, missing out on the chance to play in a major finals when Wales qualified under Chris Coleman two years later.
He took his first steps in coaching with Cardiff City’s academy before serving as assistant manager to former Manchester City team-mate Vincent Kompany at Anderlecht and then Burnley.
Bellamy stood in when Kompany served a touchline ban last season and stepped up when the Belgian left for Bayern Munich in May.

But with Burnley opting for former Fulham and Bournemouth manager Parker for the permanent role, it opened the door for the FAW.

Bellamy is now ready to return to Wales having ended his playing career with hometown club Cardiff City, helping them to promotion to the Premier League in 2014.

Having started his playing career at Norwich, Bellamy's playing career spanned many of the biggest clubs in British football, including Newcastle, Manchester City and Liverpool, twice.

But even as a player he was keen to broaden his outlook beyond the domestic game and when coming through the professional ranks as a player, would regularly go to watch football on the continent.

While accruing plenty of international experience with Wales, Bellamy, who netted 19 goals for his country, was part of the Great Britain Olympics team in London in 2012, appearing five times and scoring once.
Bellamy is seventh in both the all time list of Wales international goal scorers and cap holders, and was one vote shy from beating Giggs to succeed Coleman for the the national job.

He had previously helped coach some of Wales age-grade sides but, having turned down the chance to take his first steps into frontline management with Oxford in 2018, Bellamy’s breakthrough will come at the highest level.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BREAKING: WALES TO ANNOUNCE NEW MANAGER

Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:53 pm

Chris just this minute read Parker was keeping him in his backroom staff?

Scott Parker has confirmed he intends to work with Craig Bellamy at Burnley.

Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Chris just this minute read Parker was keeping him in his backroom staff?

I read Parker wanted to work with Craig but this article is fresh off the press and would make more sense…

If true, it would re-ignite my interest in the Wales team for the first time since the Alun Evans debacle…! :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:06 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Chris just this minute read Parker was keeping him in his backroom staff?

I read Parker wanted to work with Craig but this article is fresh off the press and would make more sense…

If true, it would re-ignite my interest in the Wales team for the first time since the Alun Evans debacle…! :ayatollah:

Was thinking same article says wants to work with him but got impression reading all of it that he had no choice in most of his backroom staff just his trusted lieutenant came with him... funny enough just renued taunement tickets after differing whether will after last campaign ... I have no doubts he will be successful maybe not this time as not easy to put right pages defensive philosophy but following campaign be good..

Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:11 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:

Was thinking same article says wants to work with him but got impression reading all of it that he had no choice in most of his backroom staff just his trusted lieutenant came with him... funny enough just renued taunement tickets after differing whether will after last campaign ... I have no doubts he will be successful maybe not this time as not easy to put right pages defensive philosophy but following campaign be good..

Agree, Allan; and if true, Craig will reignite a lot of people’s passion for the Wales cause… :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:14 pm

Good luck to him.

It’s a risk, but one worth taking in my opinion.

Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:14 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:

Agree, Allan; and if true, Craig will reignite a lot of people’s passion for the Wales cause… :ayatollah:

Well certainly bring positivity to Wales football after losing it with page .....my story was 8hrs old

Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:46 pm

Absolutely no risk at all. He will demand the very best and brings a wealth of football knowledge with him. When he came to the City he led by example from the front and inspired everyone. He would do so with Wales. Just one regret - he is not the City manager and that’s certainly no disrespect to Bullit

Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:50 pm

On SSN now and be confirmed in next 48hrs! So looks nailed on to happen happy days if Wales fan .. :occasion5:

Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:21 am

Great news

Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:56 am

Confirmed on contract to 2028 :occasion5:

Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:01 am

Excellent news.

Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:19 am

Happy with this.

Reading his book currently.

Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:45 am

That's the best football news I've had for a long long time.

C'mon Bellers :thumbup:

Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:48 am

Maccydear wrote:Happy with this.

Reading his book currently.

It's a great read. He's very open about things, especially when he was a teenage at Norwich, hundreds of miles away from his family. A must read for every Welsh football fan.

Re: BREAKING: WALES ANNOUNCE NEW MANAGER

Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:25 am

Great news, couldn't think of anyone better to take the helm.

A proud Welshman and knows football inside out...come on Bellers!!!

Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:38 am

Best of luck to him

Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:11 pm

Good to see that his contract covers both of the next 2 big tournament qualifications, the world cup & next Euros.

Good luck to him.

Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:26 pm

Good Luck to Bellars and the Team .