Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CONFIRMED: Callum Chambers Defender Signs for Cardiff City:

Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:55 am

Cardiff City Football Club are delighted to confirm the signing of defender Calum Chambers.

The England international has put pen to paper on a three-year contract at CCS, having departed Aston Villa earlier this week.

Signed as a Free Agent

Updated:

13th July 2024:
Callum Chambers is a Cardiff City player after being released by Aston Villa.

Became a free agent.

Villa said he could go in January, Bulut wanted him, but things did not happen behind the scenes, but today Chambefmrs became a Bluebird.

Trained with the Bluebirds today

Updated:

Medical is now booked:

Defender:

Callum Chambers has played 30 games for Aston Villa since 2022.

Villa signed Chambers on a free transfer in January 2022. Chambers played 30 games for Villa in that time, scoring one memorable goal in the 3-0 win away at Leeds United in the Steven Gerrard era.

Chambers aged 29 is no longer in their plans for next season.

Etol Bulut wants Chambers.

Callum Chambers will be a free transfer from Aston Villa.

Chambers was told in January he could leave Villa if he could find a club.

UPDATE it looks to be callum chambers

This guy has been completely accurate on everything he has said!

He even got the winger before anyone else it seems!

I'm hoping it's a full back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: New defender today? Callum chambers

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:02 am

Updated:

Medical Booked:

Defender:

Callum Chambers has played 30 games for Aston Villa since 2022.

Villa signed Chambers on a free transfer in January 2022. Chambers played 30 games for Villa in that time, scoring one memorable goal in the 3-0 win away at Leeds United in the Steven Gerrard era.

Callum Chambers will be a free transfer from Aston Villa.

Originally a member of Southampton's academy system, Chambers was promoted to the first team at the beginning of the 2012–13.

From their Chambers went to Arsenal and has played for Boro, Fulham and Aston Villa

Re: Updated: New defender today? Callum chambers

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:09 am

Well at least he's played all his games at high level and coming from villa will be good acquisition.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:16 am

So Nat Phillips is a no-goer then. Anyway, I beat your twitter scoop by 10 mins :lol:

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:31 am

This would be a good, experienced signing in my eyes.

medical booked

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:36 am

https://the72.co.uk/2024/07/11/cardiff- ... -chambers/

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:50 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:So Nat Phillips is a no-goer then. Anyway, I beat your twitter scoop by 10 mins :lol:

I never said we wanted him, Media Wales said it Martin.

And guess what we were never going to pay big money for him, we will only get players if loan, released or cheap.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:50 am

This a very good signing.

Won’t be seen as a significant signing to most, but he is.

Brings a good amount of PL experience and can play in a variety of positions.

Pleased with him and Willock.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:51 am

Great signing this

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:52 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:So Nat Phillips is a no-goer then. Anyway, I beat your twitter scoop by 10 mins :lol:

Probably right but at least he's not a cheap lower league substitute? Maybe cheaper but definitely not lower league! :laughing6:

Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:59 am

Forever Blue wrote:

And guess what we were never going to pay big money for him, we will only get players if loan, released or cheap.

Don't take it personal, it wasn't aimed at you. 5m is what I'd pay tops for Phillips who is decent at our level but this fella could be an even better deal.

Re: Updated: New defender today? Calum Chambers

Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:12 pm

Fair play, this would be a great signing!

Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:18 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Don't take it personal, it wasn't aimed at you. 5m is what I'd pay tops for Phillips who is decent at our level but this fella could be an even better deal.

Whilst you would say quality costs money its not always the case chambers is a very good signing and musnt forget we are coming from a very low standard of players prior to bulut coming in.....what is needed this season is experience & quality whether they're freebies or pay fees for them so that we can push on from last seasons league improvement .... its really not about how much we spend more about quality brought in ... and judging by these possible signings that's appears to be what's happening.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:31 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Whilst you would say quality costs money its not always the case chambers is a very good signing and musnt forget we are coming from a very low standard of players prior to bulut coming in.....what is needed this season is experience & quality whether they're freebies or pay fees for them so that we can push on from last seasons league improvement .... its really not about how much we spend more about quality brought in ... and judging by these possible signings that's appears to be what's happening.

Allan,

As you agreed with me yesterday and many times a NEW STRIKER IS NEEDED & HAS BEEN NEEDED FOR YEARS.

A quality one costs money and if we don’t finally pay for one all the other signings will mean nothing as usual.

Sadly for years I’ve been proven right,and many including you say I am negative . But by February you are all fed up again

We need the striker we keep being promised.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:55 pm

In January 2024 Aston Villa decided to let go of Callum Chambers and they went public on it.

Aston Villa must let players leave this month before splashing out on new signings with out-of-favour duo Bertrand Traore and Calum Chambers told they can go.

By Daniel Davis For Mailonline

12 Jan 2024,

MY VIEW:

A good signing for the Championship and should do very well for Cardiff City.

Bluebirds

Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:02 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

As you agreed with me yesterday and many times a NEW STRIKER IS NEEDED & HAS BEEN NEEDED FOR YEARS.

A quality one costs money and if we don’t finally pay for one all the other signings will mean nothing as usual.

Sadly for years I’ve been proven right,and many including you say I am negative . But by February you are all fed up again

Annis a striker is only position where you've got to spend £3m+ probably to get any sort of decent striker the rest team can get quality without spending millions on players as we are seeing with these possible signings. ..... not sure what Tans problem is with paying for striker allowing for his lack of footballing knowledge he's ot that stupid to know good striker can get us top 6 or more find it a bit bizzare and unexplainable
..Wouldn’t call you negative just frustrated city fan. :thumbup:

Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

Agree that the striker will be the key signing.

Chambers and Willock are two very good signings but it’s obvious we need a goalscoring striker.

That could mean spending money. But it could also be a PL loan. If it is a loan, that won’t happen until late in the window when PL clubs have done most of their business.

I actually think we need to sign two strikers, not just one.

But I’m very pleased with Chambers and Willock.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:06 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

Agree that the striker will be the key signing.

Chambers and Willock are two very good signings but it’s obvious we need a goalscoring striker.

That could mean spending money. But it could also be a PL loan. If it is a loan, that won’t happen until late in the window when PL clubs have done most of their business.

I actually think we need to sign two strikers, not just one.

But I’m very pleased with Chambers and Willock.

I am pleased with Chambers and Willcock Ned,

But it will all mean nothing yet again if we dont sign a quality striker and your probably right , 2 are needed.

But please NO more Etetes making out they are big Spurs signings, yet never played for them.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:09 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

Annis a striker is only position where you've got to spend £3m+ probably to get any sort of decent striker the rest team can get quality without spending millions on players as we are seeing with these possible signings. ..... not sure what Tans problem is with paying for striker allowing for his lack of footballing knowledge he's ot that stupid to know good striker can get us top 6 or more find it a bit bizzare and unexplainable

Thank you Allan,

And that is where the problem lyes Quality Strikers cost money.

So what’s been happening is we get other clubs rejects and Media Wales especially Williams build them up as though they have been playing for top clubs and yet never even played for their first team.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:30 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

Thank you Allan,

So what’s been happening is we get other clubs rejects and Media Wales especially Williams build them up as though they have been playing for top clubs and yet never even played for their first team.

See Moore’s going to Hull now there's a typical example of club spending millions season after season getting nowhere ..... moore is not answer for us what we need is a mobile striker foreign is best as it will suit buluts tactics.... I hope he is not thinking we can do anything substantial with forwards we have unless there is massive upturn in his tactics and form of etete ect.... I believe we have wasted opportunities previously to get top 6 when we've had decent side but no strikers ....... like said unfathomable that Tan dalman dont see this.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:41 pm

Wonder what wage he’s on as he has previously been on 50k a week. I’d love to think we didn’t give him more than 20.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:17 pm

Great signing this, if it comes off. Loads of premier league experience and England caps to his name too. Played for Fulham in the prem as a defensive midfielder so versatile.

Aged 29, could be a constant for us at the back for the next few years.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

Thank you Allan,

See Moore’s going to Hull now there's a typical example of club spending millions season after season getting nowhere ..... moore is not answer for us what we need is a mobile striker foreign is best as it will suit buluts tactics.... I hope he is not thinking we can do anything substantial with forwards we have unless there is massive upturn in his tactics and form of etete ect.... I believe we have wasted opportunities previously to get top 6 when we've had decent side but no strikers ....... like said unfathomable that Tan dalman dont see this.

But to be fair they received £35mill in a double sale.

Moore could be massive for them.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

Annis - bang on as usual!

This isn't rocket science. Goals more than anything win football matches and we've struggled to score them for 3 seasons or so!

The club need to put up the funds and get a proper striker through the door, not some hopeful punt from League 2 or whatever.

Sort it out Dalman/ Tan or we'll end up going nowhere fast in this division yet again. That would be such a shame in our 125th year too.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Allan,

Thank you Allan,

But to be fair they received £35mill in a double sale.

Moore could be massive for them.

Could be is the word! Tbh I would like either good young striker with something to prove been a few successes lately for other clubs or a decent striker from abroad who's more mobile and suited to bulut.... but I'm not optimistic that we will get either going on what's being said but we could be surprised... :P

Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:21 pm

Maloby_Blue wrote:Great signing this, if it comes off. Loads of premier league experience and England caps to his name too. Played for Fulham in the prem as a defensive midfielder so versatile.

Aged 29, could be a constant for us at the back for the next few years.

Could be a great signing if he stays fit and gets game time ...

Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:16 am

Decent signing although Josh Murphy tore him a new one in the Prem. Would prefer him to play centrally if he is to play but I’m not sure he will.

Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:02 am

I'm hoping he's a replacement for Philips, as the alternative would be that he's being brought in as a right back, which could mean Ng on his way.

He can play as a DM too.

Re: Callum Chambers Defender Signs for Cardiff City:

Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:05 pm

Callum Chambers is a Cardiff City player after being released by Aston Villa.

Became a free agent.

Villa said he could go in January, Bulut wanted him, but things did not happen behind the scenes, but today Chambefmrs became a Bluebird.

Re: Callum Chambers Defender Signs for Cardiff City:

Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:45 pm

I'm wondering if he was signed as a defensive midfielder because we need one.