Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CRAIG BELLAMY: “THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN HOW I LEFT CARDIFF CITY

Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:40 am

Craig Bellamy

The circumstances around his exit from the Bluebirds, which occurred against the backdrop of allegations of bullying, have certainly counted against him with some critics, although he insists he's a different person since leaving City in 2019.

Bellamy, whose conduct at the time triggered an investigation by the Championship club, admits there were certain aspects of his time at Cardiff that he got wrong, and appears to have no complaints with how things turned out

Craig Bellamy:

"I've got to be honest, I trusted the process," he said. "I trusted the disciplinary process and respected it.

"I understood, as well, there's a lot of stuff I didn't know - like cheering against England in a game in front of people from England. It's not correct. You can't do that.

"I didn't know that. I honestly thought it was just [second] nature for me. I didn’t understand how a young 18-year-old English boy might have felt."

The incident in question was central to the allegations around Bellamy at the time. It was claimed Bellamy made anti-English comments in front of a young English player under his stewardship.

"I didn't understand, so I apologised for that. So, there's a lot a lot of things like that I thought might like sound right, but it actually could be a deal and I didn't realise," he added. "So, I have to take that into account as well and I did.

"I’ve got to be honest, there's a lot of stuff I looked at and should have been aware of. Of course, we were going off Premier League rules and they are different to the FA rules. They are very, very different, so I understood that.

"I went to Anderlecht and had an opportunity again to work with U18s. But the amount of relationships I still have with a lot of players from those (Cardiff City) moments - that’s hugely important to me as well."

Bellamy has suggested that were he to have his time again, he would have perhaps prepared differently, and urged other youth coaches not to repeat his mistakes.

"The message for every youth coach who goes into youth coaching, is ‘please, be mindful. Please. Really do your homework and the levels you're going into and what you allow.

"I wasn't dealing with 12, 13 or 14 year olds. These were 17, 18-year-olds. If you’re in school, then obviously you don’t swear. But I thought, after school, maybe, you know, in that environment, I could turn a blind eye to it.

"But you can't do that. I reflected on what happened, I reflect on everything, I will reflect on these interviews today. Maybe I have said too much, but that’s me and that’s how I work."

Bellamy's first game as Wales boss will be on September 6, with Turkey the visitors to the Cardiff City Stadium in the opening game of the UEFA Nations League.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CRAIG BELLAMY: “THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN HOW I LEFT CARDIFF

Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:06 am

If that player was upset over cheering against England and swearing then God help him in life, world has gone mental and in my eyes Bellamy has nothing to apologise for

Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:22 am

danielrees17 wrote:If that player was upset over cheering against England and swearing then God help him in life, world has gone mental and in my eyes Bellamy has nothing to apologise for

Totally agree with you

Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:23 am

I doubt that lad would ever have made it playing for Cardiff if he was that precious.

How would have coped with being labelled a "sheep shagging b*stard" every away game he played?

Would he have walked off the pitch every time City fans sang how England is full of shit?

Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:23 pm

The world has gone mad.

Not allowed to cheer against England?

An 18 year old is an Adult. An adult that apparently can't take someone cheering against his precious England.

Absolute snowflake.

Hes in the wrong job if he think like that already.

Hopefully he ends up playing in the Ithsmian league or something.

Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:30 pm

danielrees17 wrote:If that player was upset over cheering against England and swearing then God help him in life, world has gone mental and in my eyes Bellamy has nothing to apologise for

Bang on. This younger generation are all washed. We’re doomed if Russia decides to invade us. Let them come I say. I’d rather a Russia flag hang in the streets than a rainbow flag.

Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:35 pm

A bitter player and parents because the player was dropped and was not good enough. Most of us welsh when asked who you support in international most of us say Wales and whoever is playing against England I also say I support 2 teams Cardiff City and whoever is playing Swansea most people laugh including the Jacks I work with and meet on holiday.

However there is a big thing at the moment against Welsh and the Scottish for supporting teams against England even the allegation of being raciest against the English it really is the world going mad and sadly the UK is worse than most countries with this crap :banghead:

I do not really care who wins the euros I do not hate England that much but I will have a smile going to bed if Spain win :lol: