Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City Star Rejects Offer & Signs for Stoke City

Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:23 am

Stoke City win race to sign Cardiff City star with famous brother

The Bluebirds youngster will head to the Potteries following interest from a number of clubs

By Glen Williams

Cardiff City youngster Japhet Matondo will join Stoke City after rejecting a professional deal with the Bluebirds .

The Wales youth international, 19 is one of the more promising Bluebirds academy products of the last few years, however his immediate future lies in the Potteries, with a medical taking place today.

Matondo was offered a pro deal by the Bluebirds but turned down the opportunity to stay with the club and has been with the Bluebirds since 7yrs old

Matondo met Stoke officials and has accepted their offer and is having a medical today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City Star Rejects Offer & Signs for Stoke City

Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:55 am

Darren Purse weaving his magic again.

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:04 am

stentona wrote:Darren Purse weaving his magic again.

I’ve known about 8 of under 21 players in the last 2 yrs and none of them like Purse or his attitude.

He has his favourites and you don’t get played and sent to non league or never recommended for the first team if he does not like you

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:05 am

Replies:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:17 am

We have a 1st class academy facility with a 2nd class manager! Not a good combination for success.

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:20 am

Reply:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:28 am

This does not sit well with me. I’m as passionate about our academy as I am of our first team. It does not sound right, there and if Purse is a symptom of our talent accepting other offers and rejecting ours, then he has to go

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:39 am

pembroke allan wrote:We have a 1st class academy facility with a 2nd class manager! Not a good combination for success.

Absolutely spot on Allan,

I speak to many of the Accademy Coaches and they say we get the best players from West Wales, Cardiff to Portsmouth, but it all goes wrong when our management get hold of them.

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:40 am

tangledupinblue wrote:This does not sit well with me. I’m as passionate about our academy as I am of our first team. It does not sound right, there and if Purse is a symptom of our talent accepting other offers and rejecting ours, then he has to go

I am a massive supporter of the Accademy.

Chesterfield is cheap and never been to a higher level.

Well Purse we all know the problem

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:40 am

Replies:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:41 am

Reply:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:We have a 1st class academy facility with a 2nd class manager! Not a good combination for success.

Absolutely spot on Allan,

I speak to many of the Accademy Coaches and they say we get the best players from West Wales, Cardiff to Portsmouth, but it all goes wrong when our management get hold of them.

Well it can't be the facilities so must be person who runs it? But what i find strange is club spending so much on academy but cannot keep the good coaches to run it.... we've lost extremely good coaches over past 3
yrs which means talented youngsters leave even to a championship rival which is crazy.....

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:46 am

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:49 am

Calm down, calm down a 19 year old who isn’t a regular in the under 21 team is no where near the first team squad leaves to join another championship club

We get a small fee for him..what exactly is the problem with this?

Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:53 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Calm down, calm down a 19 year old who isn’t a regular in the under 21 team is no where near the first team squad leaves to join another championship club

He was more talented and younger than the ones we've given contracts to.....and he's chosen a championship club so that tells you he's going to be good enough for the championship ..that is the problem

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Calm down, calm down a 19 year old who isn’t a regular in the under 21 team is no where near the first team squad leaves to join another championship club

He was more talented and younger than the ones we've given contracts to.....and he's chosen a championship club so that tells you he's going to be good enough for the championship ..that is the problem

Maybe or maybe not Allan only time will tell on that

What I do find annoying on this board is that 1 minute people are saying if they are 19/20 years old and not in the first team they are not good enough and should be released then when this happens it’s all Purse’s fault.

I’m no Purse fan but people can’t have it both ways

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:07 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

We have signed many players at age 19 as a championship club Where are those kids now if as you say it shows they are good enough

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:30 pm

Reply:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:30 pm

Glen headlines him as a star whilst 99% of us have never seen him play !!!

Was nowhere near the first team last season and thinks he’ll get more of a chance but probably a better deal at stoke

Same cohort as Ashford, Davies is back, o,dowdy is fit, wouldn’t be surprised to see grant back and we have just bought another winger.

I guess stoke rate him higher than we do

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:32 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Glen headlines him as a star whilst 99% of us have never seen him play !!!

Was nowhere near the first team last season and thinks he’ll get more of a chance but probably a better deal at stoke

Same cohort as Ashford, Davies is back, o,dowdy is fit, wouldn’t be surprised to see grant back and we have just bought another winger.

I guess stoke rate him higher than we do

Glen Williams once again building them up as Stars, he makes every City player a Star, if it was true we would be Premiership now

Let’s see how he does , be interesting.

But don’t forget Purse would not even give George Feeney a trial, if your not a buddy he fails you

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:32 pm

Replies:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:35 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

What I do find annoying on this board is that 1 minute people are saying if they are 19/20 years old and not in the first team they are not good enough and should be released then when this happens it’s all Purse’s fault.

Ok let’s look of how Purse got Kieron Evans nearly 23 yrs old & Tom Daves 21 yrs old new contracts??

Are you saying they are first team players, because they should be by now.

Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:40 pm

It’s down to Purse if they play or get recommended.

The lad to be fair has turned us down and will now have to move up to Stoke, I say and know their is a problem with Purse in charge

Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:03 pm

He's been here since he was 8yrs old and has rejected an offer from the club to go up to one of the worst places to live in the UK. Sounds a bit of a t*t.

Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:19 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He's got 3/4 yrs on the two we gave contract to.... I did say in another thread regarding those two that we should be looking to get in 17/18yr olds from other clubs to improve them rather than keep 23yrs+ players who wont make it at our club....not sure people complained at 19yr olds but have about 24yr olds which is a valid point.. problem with purse is his record at under 23 level is appalling he's sending youngsters to non league/welsh league teams which is not going to develop them enough for championship level... as said 1st class facilities 2nd class manager

Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:27 pm

Abergavenny wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We have signed many players at age 19 as a championship club Where are those kids now if as you say it shows they are good enough

The point was we kept two 24yr olds not good enough for 1st team but release a 18yr old that by most opinions is better than those two? That is wrong way around .... stoke obviously rate him enough to sign him so yes better chance of making it than other two don't you think?

Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:39 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Abergavenny wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

The point was we kept two 24yr olds not good enough for 1st team but release a 18yr old that by most opinions is better than those two? That is wrong way around .... stoke obviously rate him enough to sign him so yes better chance of making it than other two don't you think?

Absolutely Allan

Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:13 pm

Reply:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:48 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:He's been here since he was 8yrs old and has rejected an offer from the club to go up to one of the worst places to live in the UK. Sounds a bit of a t*t.

Exactly