Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What kind of striker do we need?

Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:18 am

I am glad that the Moore situation is out of the way to stop this "will he, won't he" discourse, and we can all move on.

I am wondering, given the signing of Willock and some of the other attacking players being speculated about, what kind of striker do you think we need. A mobile No. 9 would work but I have heard of some of the players we have looked at being absolutely not the traditional No. 9.

I like Davies who will be useful this season but I am not sure if he is going to get a lot of goals playing up front by himself - Bulut also indicated he will be tried and used in a number of places.

What every championship team is looking for is a Mitrovic - but let's be honest, they don't come around very often.

So interesting to see what kind of striker we end up with. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a left-field type signing.

Thoughts?

Re: What kind of striker do we need?

Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:47 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:I am glad that the Moore situation is out of the way to stop this "will he, won't he" discourse, and we can all move on.

I am wondering, given the signing of Willock and some of the other attacking players being speculated about, what kind of striker do you think we need. A mobile No. 9 would work but I have heard of some of the players we have looked at being absolutely not the traditional No. 9.

I like Davies who will be useful this season but I am not sure if he is going to get a lot of goals playing up front by himself - Bulut also indicated he will be tried and used in a number of places.

What every championship team is looking for is a Mitrovic - but let's be honest, they don't come around very often.

So interesting to see what kind of striker we end up with. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a left-field type signing.

Thoughts?

What i would say is we have known for a long time this is the position we need and have had long enough to find a striker from somewhere from across the world.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:50 am

One that compliments the way we’re going to play. Decide that then buy accordingly.

Also one that can shoot would be nice haha

Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:59 am

We need to research a player that fits into the team and style of play.

Ideally, I don't want another 6 foot 4, slow, no good type of striker like Etete.

Someone who hangs on the defenders shoulder, making runs in behind would be great.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:05 am

I like this player

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Guerrero_(footballer)

He played for Panama in the 2024 Copa America and has a very good goals to game ratio.

Luhansk (ex Voroshilovgrad) as some of you will know is the former twin city of Cardiff.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eduardo-guerrero/profil/spieler/502842

Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:24 am

Chopra-esque. A selfish killer in the box who can make something out of nothing.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:34 am

2 strikers that do what they are paid for..
Score goals..
As for our current crop, ship them out, had there chance and failed..

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:09 am

it all depends on who the 3 behind the striker are going to be. if you are going for pace and direct wingers who stay wide, we've seen a number 9 poacher work. (think back to Zohore) if you are going for wide players to cut inside, then you want a target man to hold the ball up and allow them to run into the box

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:26 am

Let’s face it rigid Bulutball 4231 is here for another season. I’ve seen it pre season already no change.

So, he instructs wingers to invert, the 10 to come deeper looking for the ball. So for the 9 in his system to be successful it depends on whether the full backs push on and get wide whipping dangerous balls in. If our fullbacks do this, and the crosses are quality then a Kieffer type forward would be good, an aerial threat.

I don’t think we are going to see that from our fullbacks, so it’s going to be the slow build side to side stuff again. No hi press, the very thing the pundits were pulling their hair out with Southgate. And therefore it’s less about aerial prowess and more about mobility and good finishing on the ground maybe like a Chopra, but maybe not, as Chopra had a foil in Bothroyd, who was tall , mobile and skilful, more of a 4411 or 442 so that rules that shorter fox on the box player out for me.

He says Ramsey will be deeper, Rubin will be more regular, so I think someone who has Ollie Watkins characteristics would be our best shout in this stubborn system. Pace, a good shot on the turn etc. good luck to our scouts and transfer committee in finding someone like that at our level. I would love Isaak being one of our own to solve the conundrum, I’m not convinced.

This historical problem rolls on.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:29 am

What about Shankland from Hearts? This isn't rocket science really. Without getting all technical, looking at heat maps, miles ran etc - that kind of stuff can bore off!

He can score goals in a Championship level division (Scottish Premier)

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:31 am

I’ve mentioned Shankland in the past. I like Hearts and check in on their highlights. We have done well in the past with SPL signings.

Tell you what though, with Bulut instructing our wingers to invert in his system, surely they should be more striker like, and chip in with more goals!

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:38 am

tangledupinblue wrote:I’ve mentioned Shankland in the past. I like Hearts and check in on their highlights. We have done well in the past with SPL signings.

Tell you what though, with Bulut instructing our wingers to invert in his system, surely they should be more striker like, and chip in with more goals!

Agree. Friendlies aside, do we actually know whether Bulut is going to stubbornly stick with the same rigid anti-football, anti-threat, anti-goals philosophy this season?

I thought Erol said he would embrace a more attack minded formation/ approach this season?

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:46 am

Tuna Pasta Bake wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:I’ve mentioned Shankland in the past. I like Hearts and check in on their highlights. We have done well in the past with SPL signings.

Agree. Friendlies aside, do we actually know whether Bulut is going to stubbornly stick with the same rigid anti-football, anti-threat, anti-goals philosophy this season?

I thought Erol said he would embrace a more attack minded formation/ approach this season?

Well if he's sticking to last seasons style he is signing wrong players to do that ! The striker will give us better ideas Harris is quick so that maybe indication?

Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:27 am

tangledupinblue wrote:Let’s face it rigid Bulutball 4231 is here for another season. I’ve seen it pre season already no change.

So, he instructs wingers to invert, the 10 to come deeper looking for the ball. So for the 9 in his system to be successful it depends on whether the full backs push on and get wide whipping dangerous balls in. If our fullbacks do this, and the crosses are quality then a Kieffer type forward would be good, an aerial threat.

I don’t think we are going to see that from our fullbacks, so it’s going to be the slow build side to side stuff again. No hi press, the very thing the pundits were pulling their hair out with Southgate. And therefore it’s less about aerial prowess and more about mobility and good finishing on the ground maybe like a Chopra, but maybe not, as Chopra had a foil in Bothroyd, who was tall , mobile and skilful, more of a 4411 or 442 so that rules that shorter fox on the box player out for me.

He says Ramsey will be deeper, Rubin will be more regular, so I think someone who has Ollie Watkins characteristics would be our best shout in this stubborn system. Pace, a good shot on the turn etc. good luck to our scouts and transfer committee in finding someone like that at our level. I would love Isaak being one of our own to solve the conundrum, I’m not convinced.

A pre season game without the new signings, with a team put together which includes very young inexperienced players, and this is what you base it off for the upcoming season?

Your glass will never be full, it has a massive hole in the bottom of it.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:28 am

Shankland would be a good shout

Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:46 am

I'd like to see a strong, physical, abrasive striker who has a good engine and a bit of pace. I'm sort of describing Meite really but a version of him that has more of a strikers instinct. The next Ollie Watkins would be great!

x2 aswell please coz 1 isn't enough!!!

Then we can loan out Etete so he can get a full season under his belt somewhere.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:02 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:Let’s face it rigid Bulutball 4231 is here for another season. I’ve seen it pre season already no change.

A pre season game without the new signings, with a team put together which includes very young inexperienced players, and this is what you base it off for the upcoming season?

Your glass will never be full, it has a massive hole in the bottom of it.

No I am basing it on a full season (including pre season and cup games) using only one tactic which divided fans and produced some shocking stats. And already it is in motion again pre season, the perfect time to do what most managers do and trial a Plan B or C formation against lesser opposition. I want my team to have a winning mentality and playing with less predictability going into the season because we sure didn't end last season with one. 3 weeks to go, the time to trial new tactics has gone. Theres your answer. I hope I have egg on my face and Erol proves me very wrong , as I dont like feeling this negative. I have heard it said on here and Mikes board, the way he sets up ANY striker would struggle, I wouldnt go that far, but last seasons stats in terms of goals scored and who scored them speak for themselves. Etete has had his chance, Meite too. My glass has no bottom actually roathblue and i dont like it. Shankland i dont think would leave Hearts for us, I would be happy if he did , could we afford him?

Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:57 pm

I'd be more than happy with Shankland.

It wouldn't be an unusual move for him to make really. Apart from Celtic and Rangers, the Scottish prem is poor. He would overall be playing better quality teams here.

Hes smashed them in for fun in Scotland so would be a decent fee required but I don't think he's out of reach

Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:12 pm

For me this is two because we'll need two back to goal forwards. They don't need to be 6"4' but strong and able to trap the ball and fend off defenders. Latter-day Mark Hughes and Alan Shearers

His whole game plan is built on steady progression upfield attacking and defending as a tight unit, any counters are made from the attacking midfielders. I reckon one of his main metrics is the average span between the deepest center half and the center forward, he wants it compact.

I believe when he realised Ugbo was "just" a finisher he jettisoned him as he needed that control. Etete is too unreliable, Bulut doesn't want turnovers.

Helguson, Frazer Campbell, Bothroyd, Hemmerman, a strong mobile forward. We are not Warnock, we don't go long for territory like a Warnock, its more Malky strangling the ball and control, control, control. Malky only had Rudt as the last 15 mins throw it in there and cover (he vastly improved over time as all big target men do)

The Ipswich lad seems a goer to me, but wouldn't be surprised to see another as well

Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:35 am

Unless we play a more attacking formation and create more chances no striker will succeed playing for us

Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:25 pm

It's a weird market at the moment as any established 15+ goal striker in this league tends to go for £10M+; recently. I can't see us paying anywhere near that.

Imagine having ONE of Chopra/Bothroyd & McCormack in our squad this season. Never mind all 3 at once.

Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:08 pm

One that scores goals!

Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:55 pm

PortskewettBluebird wrote:One that scores goals!

:thumbup:

Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:01 pm

I think Callum Paterson would work up front in our current system.