Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' GARETH QUITS! SOUTHGATES GOING HOME! '

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:28 am

He he he. That's the new chant sorted then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cd163154zw1t

Re: ' GARETH QUITS! SOUTHGATES GOING HOME! '

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:53 am

GrangeEndStar wrote:He he he. That's the new chant sorted then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cd163154zw1t

England manager Gareth Southgate has resigned after a second consecutive European Championship final defeat.

The Three Lions lost 2-1 to Spain in Berlin on Sunday, having been beaten on penalties by Italy at Wembley three years ago.

The 53-year-old managed his country for 102 games in eight years in charge. His contract was set to expire later this year.

"As a proud Englishman, it has been the honour of my life to play for England and to manage England," said Southgate.

"It has meant everything to me, and I have given it my all.

"But it’s time for change, and for a new chapter."

Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said the process to appoint Southgate's successor has started and "we aim to have our new manager confirmed as soon as possible".

He added the FA "have an interim solution in place if it is needed" and will not comment further on the process until a new boss is appointed.

England's next match is against the Republic of Ireland in the Nations League on 7 September.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:34 am

I believe Arsene Wenger could be an outside shout.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:31 pm

Heard someone today say they should get Klopp.

Their fans really do live in another world sometimes :lol:

They have no chance of getting Klopp. They’ve even been told by Newcastle that no way is Eddie Howe having the job.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:24 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Heard someone today say they should get Klopp.

Their fans really do live in another world sometimes :lol:

They have no chance of getting Klopp. They’ve even been told by Newcastle that no way is Eddie Howe having the job.

Born Guessing may as well just apply as he's free at the moment and will guarantee it will never come home, so perfect for the role.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:31 pm

Can't see anyone doing much better than he has done. He's got them to two Euros finals and the rest is down to the players on the pitch & they were not great either time. Spain deserved the win this time & there's not many, including the majority of the deluded England fans who would say otherwise.

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:31 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:Can't see anyone doing much better than he has done. He's got them to two Euros finals and the rest is down to the players on the pitch & they were not great either time. Spain deserved the win this time & there's not many, including the majority of the deluded England fans who would say otherwise.

Agree .