Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Never the same second time around. I remember the Bluebirds

Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:14 pm

Never the same second time around.

I remember the Bluebirds sell Brian Clark to Bournemouth in 1972 after four glorious seasons at Ninian Park, where he helped shape the career of a young John Toshack.

Clarky got the winner in that famous 1-0 European Cup Winners Cup win over Real Madrid.

Yet, he re-joined from Millwall in summer 1975 and managed only one goal in the season - eventually drifting off to League Two and Newport.

Joining Cardiff for that poor second spell was something that haunted the likeable Clark.

Re: Never the same second time around. I remember the Blueb

Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:14 am

Clark was a good solid championship or as was then Div 2 striker and it is said never go back. He was a member of whitchurch golf club, a mate played with him occasionally, it was always said he was a really nice guy.

Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:31 am

Clarkie was a lovely guy, I used to see him on his rounds as a rep for a fire extinguisher company. I think he liked a drink of a lunchtime, but he was willing to talk football all day long. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:24 am

Ninian27 wrote:Never the same second time around.

I remember the Bluebirds sell Brian Clark to Bournemouth in 1972 after four glorious seasons at Ninian Park, where he helped shape the career of a young John Toshack.

Clarky got the winner in that famous 1-0 European Cup Winners Cup win over Real Madrid.

Yet, he re-joined from Millwall in summer 1975 and managed only one goal in the season - eventually drifting off to League Two and Newport.

Joining Cardiff for that poor second spell was something that haunted the likeable Clark.

It is a shame if he felt haunted by it . It was at the end of his career and we actually got promoted that season. I don't any of us were thinking we were getting the same player back and it was nice that he had come "home". Yes he ended up as back up but Alston and Evans were on fire that season. I don't think any of us had heard of Tony Evans but what a signing that was. I like to think that Brian Clark played his part in getting us up that season