Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated: Cardiff are interested in Alexander Robertson

Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:09 am

Updated:

Updated:

Alexander Robertson

Manchester City have said he can leave and have left on tour without him.

Looks like a straight fight between the Bluebirds and Portsmouth for this highly-rated Man City link man.

Financially, and based on facilities, Cardiff should blow Pompey out of the water.

Bulut has been promised the full backing.

On Tuesday night Erol Bulut confirmed the club were looking to add a midfielder, as well as a winger, striker and one or two more defensive players, but Robertson certainly fits that midfield brief. However, Robertson is one of three players drawn up on Cardiff's shortlist to fill that berth.

Robertson has less than a year left on his contract and Cardiff are understood to prefer a permanent deal. However Portsmouth could also be interested as Manchester City are willing to let him go.

Alexander Robertson aged 21 joined Manchester City in 2017 but never been able to break in to the first team squad.

So went out on loan

Played for Portsmouth in League 1 / 23 times
And Ross County 3 times

On loan at League 1 Portsmouth last season and did well

Re: Cardiff are interested in Alexander Robertson

Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:36 am

Just checked he's been injured since 1st Jan. Big worry for me that

Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:47 am

barnet blue wrote:Just checked he's been injured since 1st Jan. Big worry for me that

I suppose it depends if he’s now fit or not and what the injury was. Just checked and he’s fully recovered.

Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:21 am

https://www.tiktok.com/@pfc_harry/video ... 4883178784
Looks handy

Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:37 pm

We seem to have a good relationship with Man City which is positive.

They’ve loaned us Wilson Esbrand and Doyle in recent years.

The fact they want to give him a new contract before loaning him out is good, shows that they rate him still.

Otherwise they’d just sell him now.

Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:52 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:We seem to have a good relationship with Man City which is positive.

They’ve loaned us Wilson Esbrand and Doyle in recent years.

The fact they want to give him a new contract before loaning him out is good, shows that they rate him still.

Otherwise they’d just sell him now.

Ned,

He’s def good but that’s Glen Williams putting out that he’s a Man City player big time yet never played for the first team.
And has put in Man City have offered him a new contract???

His admiration for his former club was clear to see in his end-of-season message to the fans on social media.

Alex Robertson who was on loan to Ross County 2022-23 and went out on loan again to Portsmouth in 2023-24 has less than a year left on his contract and is keen to establish where his future will be.

He wrote: ‘What a pleasure it was to play for Pompey. A massive thank you to the staff, the players and the incredible fans for the support and help in my time at Fratton Park. I loved every minute at the club and I wish everyone the best for the future. PUP.’ It earned countless overwhelmingly positive responses from fans with some claiming he’s the best they’ve seen for a long time at the club.

Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:37 pm

I don't know enough about him to say anything about the signing.

The relationship with Man City is probably because they keep poaching our youngsters

Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:09 pm

Updated:

Alexander Robertson

Manchester City have said he can leave and have left on tour without him.

Looks like a straight fight between the Bluebirds and Portsmouth for this highly-rated Man City link man.

Financially, and based on facilities, Cardiff should blow Pompey out of the water.

Bulut has been promised the full backing.

Re: Updated: Cardiff are interested in Alexander Robertson

Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:50 pm

To be honest, whilst I’d love him to sign, if he was with Pompey on loan last season then surely he’s more likely to choose them ?

Certainly for young players it isn’t always about money, it’s about where they feel most comfortable and if that’s the case it’s not just about money it’s about where the player wants to go.

Sat Jul 20, 2024 9:01 pm

piledriver64 wrote:To be honest, whilst I’d love him to sign, if he was with Pompey on loan last season then surely he’s more likely to choose them ?

Certainly for young players it isn’t always about money, it’s about where they feel most comfortable and if that’s the case it’s not just about money it’s about where the player wants to go.

It's an argument that goes on every season regarding signings! It isn't totally about money (for some maybe) its what suits player best or the loan club ...... so we are behind Portsmouth if want him.

Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:34 pm

piledriver64 wrote:To be honest, whilst I’d love him to sign, if he was with Pompey on loan last season then surely he’s more likely to choose them ?

Spot On .

Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:34 pm

If we can show more ambition than Portsmouth, then we could totally take him. For him, does a club look like they could be in the premiership one day? Or stuck in the championship for a good few years or worse?

Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:46 pm

After an impressive season on loan with Portsmouth in League One, Alex Robertson is reportedly attracting transfer interest, and Cardiff City seem keen to bring him to the Welsh capital.

According to Wales Online, the Bluebirds have placed the Manchester City midfielder on a three-man transfer shortlist, but they're set to face competition from Pompey, who'd like to re-sign the Australian this summer from the Premier League champions.

The 21-year-old has less than a year left on his contract at the Etihad Stadium and Cardiff reportedly favour a permanent move. However, Man City are thought to be considering offering the Australian international a new contract, which means they could be more willing to sanction a loan move this summer.

The Bluebirds have serious strength in depth in the centre of the park, but with Ebou Adams leaving and Ryan Wintle set for the exit door, there could be scope to add Robertson to their ranks, particularly as boss Erol Bulut plans to play a more progressive style of play this coming season.

Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:48 pm

After loan spells at both Ross County and Portsmouth, Robertson could be ready to take the next step and move away from the Etihad Stadium on a permanent basis.

The 21-year-old is clearly a good player and if Cardiff were able to secure a permanent deal for him, they could make money in the years to come as the youngster would have resale value - an important consideration that teams make when deciding to sanction any signing.

In previous years, particularly prior to Bulut's arrival, Cardiff's recruitment was haphazard, and you only have to look at their business in the summer of 2022 to see they opted for quantity over quality, and would have been relegated that season had it not been for Reading's points deduction.

That seems to have been the wake-up call that owner Vincent Tan needed, and under Bulut, Cardiff have made some smart signings, with the likes of Chris Willock and Callum Chambers joining earlier this summer.

Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:48 pm

Alex Robertson is Signing this week for the Bluebirds