Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

David Turnbull awful?

Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:49 pm

I'm not one to single out players really, but he just seems awful?

Not one game have I thought he did really well, I know it's pre season but he just seems slow always plays the safe pass looses the ball too easy

Re: David Turnbull

Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:52 pm

kyle08 wrote:I'm not one to single out players really, but he just seems awful?

Not one game have I thought he did really well, I know it's pre season but he just seems slow always plays the safe pass looses the ball too easy

Everyone sees the game differently but I think he’s doing well. Linking the midfield nicely.

Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:54 pm

He actually impressed me more than anyone in that first half today.

He turns defence into attack very well.

Rubin Colwill gets an easy time from the fans but all he did was constantly give the ball away.

Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:13 pm

I don't know. for me when we signed him I was really pleased, but for an attacking midfielder he don't offer what we signed him for ?

But it's a new season so maybe he will be that player he was when he was at celtic

Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:31 pm

Kyle,

I think he's been told to play a bit deeper and force the movement forward. That's what we lacked last season, so for me he's doing what we need.

He's no Rambo but at least he tries to get us moving forward

Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:39 pm

Thought turbulence had a really good half today, rubin on the other hand gave the ball away on far too many occasions.

Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:42 pm

kyle08 wrote:I'm not one to single out players really, but he just seems awful?

He’s more of a CAM rather than a DM. As for saying he’s awful, I think that’s a tad unfair.

*loses :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:44 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:Kyle,

I think he's been told to play a bit deeper and force the movement forward. That's what we lacked last season, so for me he's doing what we need.

Yes I agree. Nothing hugely dramatic but shifted the ball forward at pace. Think he’ll get better and better at that too. Maybe one of the reasons that Wintle is surplus to requirements. Exciting times hopefully.

Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:12 pm

Not see enough of him, but not sure he's any better than Gavin Whyte.

Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:34 pm

dorsetblue wrote:Not see enough of him, but not sure he's any better than Gavin Whyte.

:laughing6:

Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:35 pm

dorsetblue wrote:Not see enough of him, but not sure he's any better than Gavin Whyte.

:lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:34 pm

No need to worry about Turnbull - We will be signing McAteer & Cantwell by the weekend - According to some on here :shock:

Re: David Turnbull awful?

Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:45 pm

In the highlights of today's game he looks like he pressed high and the first two clips were him disposessing them in the final third and making a chance. I didn't see the whole game mind but it looked like he was trying to have a crack. Main concern is that he didn't seem to fit in a team that also includes Ramsey or Rubin, so his future might be a question mark.

Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:10 am

Roath_Blue wrote:Kyle,

I agree with this. More an 8 than a 10 which we need most in midfield.

Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:59 am

I see it the total opposite. Very clever player. If there's a way we can link him and Ramsey/colwill it will be dangerous.

Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:11 am

I said it the day we signed him, and I’ll say it now.

He was never brought into play 10. He was brought in to provide the links between defence - attack.

You can see when he plays as well, he just gets the ball and tries to link everything as quickly as possible.

Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:05 am

Maybe going against the grain here but I think he’s a nice player. Neat and calm on the ball. Does the basics well. Passes well and can link well. Every player doesn’t need to be standout every game. We need consistency and to do the right things at the right time. It’s taken ralls a while to show the fan base why he’s vital. I think turnbull will do something similar in time.

Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:13 am

welshrarebit wrote:Maybe going against the grain here but I think he’s a nice player. Neat and calm on the ball. Does the basics well. Passes well and can link well. Every player doesn’t need to be standout every game. We need consistency and to do the right things at the right time. It’s taken ralls a while to show the fan base why he’s vital. I think turnbull will do something similar in time.

Not going against the grain mate as I think most people agree. Good post.

Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:33 am

welshrarebit wrote:Maybe going against the grain here but I think he’s a nice player. Neat and calm on the ball. Does the basics well. Passes well and can link well. Every player doesn’t need to be standout every game. We need consistency and to do the right things at the right time. It’s taken ralls a while to show the fan base why he’s vital. I think turnbull will do something similar in time.

:thumbup:

Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:34 pm

Yes completely agree

Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:47 pm

I think he is a "passer" in a team that had so few weapons around him. Wintle and Ralls are all-rounders but killer passes are not their forte, we can't go into games with just Rambo or Colwill capable of opening defenses. We need to persevere with him a little deeper

Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:25 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I think he is a "passer" in a team that had so few weapons around him. Wintle and Ralls are all-rounders but killer passes are not their forte, we can't go into games with just Rambo or Colwill capable of opening defenses. We need to persevere with him a little deeper

Another good post. :thumbup:

Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:48 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:I think he is a "passer" in a team that had so few weapons around him. Wintle and Ralls are all-rounders but killer passes are not their forte, we can't go into games with just Rambo or Colwill capable of opening defenses. We need to persevere with him a little deeper

Another good post. :thumbup:

Yep and with more willing runners, he has someone to pass to!

Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:08 pm

Totally agree , very good player , nice n smooth n calm on the ball , and I think he is playing better in this pre season and a top guy too :bluebird:

Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:17 pm

Richy roofer ccfc wrote:

Totally agree , very good player , nice n smooth n calm on the ball , and I think he is playing better in this pre season and a top guy too :bluebird:

Totally agree.
Saw a documentary on him once and he appeared quite a shy guy. Is that how he came across mate?

Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:28 pm

The stats since he arrived with us:

Championship 2023/2024
0 Goals
1 Assists
11 Started
17 Matches
866 Minutes played
6.70 Rating
1 Yellow cards
0 Red cards

For Celtic
2020-21: 9 Goals / 6 assists / 1 Goal In Europa league
2021-22: 6 Goals / 5 assists/ 1 Goal In Europa league / 3 appearances for Scotland in WC Quals
2022-23: 4 Goals / 6 assists / 5 games in Champions League / 1 Nations league game for Scotland
The first 6 months of last season (before he joined us): 7 goals / 2 games in Champions league
For Motherwell
41 games / 16 goals / 5 assists. That's a goal or made a goal every other game.

His lowest return of goals in his career, was his half season with us. Where he scored 0.
He also has never had below 5 assists in 1 season. Giving him half a season, for us his 1 assist is below his lowest to date 2.5 assists.

The stats show that his returns have dropped since his arrival in South Wales.

Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:09 am

He’s a quality player but cuts a frustrated figure around the place, which doesn’t endear him to the fans. Needs to get a bit of fight about him and show us what he’s capable of (obviously needs to be given the chance to do that first)

Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:20 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Richy roofer ccfc wrote:

Totally agree.
Saw a documentary on him once and he appeared quite a shy guy. Is that how he came across mate?

My youngest was his mascot for Southampton game , and he was fantastic with him , kept talking to my boy throughout the lead up and when walking out , proper genuine guy ,
I think he will keep improving this season

Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:48 am

Richy roofer ccfc wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Richy roofer ccfc wrote:

Totally agree.

My youngest was his mascot for Southampton game , and he was fantastic with him , kept talking to my boy throughout the lead up and when walking out , proper genuine guy ,

Good to hear that mate. I think he got a little frustrated last season as he was clearly looking to create moves with very little movement around him. Let’s hope it changes for him and the team this season.

Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:18 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Richy roofer ccfc wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Richy roofer ccfc wrote:

Totally agree.

Good to hear that mate. I think he got a little frustrated last season as he was clearly looking to create moves with very little movement around him. Let’s hope it changes for him and the team this season.

Yes I think your bang on there mate , hopefully he can play off from Ramsey if he stays fit and some new attack minded players coming in to give him the options , could be a very good season :bluebird: