Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CLIMATE PROTESTS!

Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:04 pm

After 4 protesters were jailed for closing m25 for 2 days should they have been jailed for such protesting? Or should they be allowed to do what they like with impunity if theres no deterent as this will surely encourage more such protests..... famous people are now complaining
democracy is finished by the sentences but there are protests all the time with no problems!

Re: CLIMATE PROTESTS!

Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:27 pm

There are correct ways to protest & wrong ways to protest. Closing down the M25 or throwing paint at priceless art works gets the press coverage they want but there has to be consequences when you cause damage or even major inconvenience to everyone just to suit your personal agenda . I don't know much about the sentences Allan, or what these "famous" people are complaining about or who they are but I'm old & not in the UK, that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

:old: :old: :old: :old:

Wed Jul 24, 2024 3:45 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:There are correct ways to protest & wrong ways to protest. Closing down the M25 or throwing paint at priceless art works gets the press coverage they want but there has to be consequences when you cause damage or even major inconvenience to everyone just to suit your personal agenda . I don't know much about the sentences Allan, or what these "famous" people are complaining about or who they are but I'm old & not in the UK, that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

:old: :old: :old: :old:

Got 4 and 5 yrs over 1k academics ...athletes...artists sighned letter yo justice minister complaining of injustice at sentences? My point of view is if dont have deterent where will it end? Tried today to get into Heathrow imagine problems that would cause... what I don't get is why aren't the victims of these morons suing them for the damage they've caused recently attacked private jets with paint 50k damage BP building 100k ....yes won't get it but gives them consequences for behaviour... can protest without causing damage like everyone else does.... it will end with a death of protester falling off something and police get blame!

Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:44 pm

One of ghe women is unhappy because will miss her brothers wedding? Tough shiiiite should have thought of consequences before she did anything. :?

Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:22 pm

The way they disrupt everyday life and damage property is unacceptable, no doubt about that.

But we have a massive prison crisis in this country with places running low. It’s one of the major things that the previous Government failed on which hasn’t got enough coverage. That has led to the new Government having to release certain offenders early, there was no other option. New prisons are being built but not in time to sort the problem out.

So I have my doubts that these sentences were correct. It’s not a violent offence that require a lengthy prison sentence.

They should be punished for their actions obviously but I would argue for a more proportionate sentence.

Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:40 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:The way they disrupt everyday life and damage property is unacceptable, no doubt about that.

But we have a massive prison crisis in this country with places running low. It’s one of the major things that the previous Government failed on which hasn’t got enough coverage. That has led to the new Government having to release certain offenders early, there was no other option. New prisons are being built but not in time to sort the problem out.

So I have my doubts that these sentences were correct. It’s not a violent offence that require a lengthy prison sentence.

They should be punished for their actions obviously but I would argue for a more proportionate sentence.

The ring leader got what he deserved bet hes made a small fortune from donations to organisation? 4 yrs is excessive for others but what other deterent can you use? anything other than prison and they will think they can act with impunity as they've
Shown prior to 1st jail sentences ...... personally I would sue them for the damage they cause if can't pay make them bankrupt! There must be consequences for their actions in some form that make others think tw
before doing similar things.... There are demonstrations every day but dont see them blocking rds trying to damage priceless art or stopping sports events.... one day someone will get killed with their stupid stunts and undoubtedly police get blame one way or other..

Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:48 pm

The protest stopped Emergency Services vehicles from carrying out their duties, so I'd say the sentencing was sufficient. They can grow their own veg inside and should be excited about that.

Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:59 pm

I argee it's unacceptable, however when you see drug dealers getting suspended sentences, it makes one wonder.
I imagine with prison over crowding they won't be in clink long..
We need to make room for the groomers and gang leaders.

Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:41 pm

Before they started to get time they were upping their method of disruption....how can anyone say plonking yourself 200ft above motorway is an appropriate way to protest ? Since those two idiots got jailed only had m25 gantry protest that was stupid even so it closed Rd for 2 days ... no good saying let emergency vehicles through that's bit difficult when got hundreds of cars stationary... no consequences means uncontrolled protests at any infrastructure/sport or social events they choose ... that will lead to confrontation with Joe public with the fallout that will bring.. ... so some sort of prison sentence is a must....

Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:16 pm

All activists/terrorists/freedom fighters believe unequivocally their cause is so just that any action justifies the means.

Whether that is running in front of the king's horse in the derby, hijacking a plane and flying it into the financial capital of the world or throwing soup over a 150-year-old painting.

If they believe so much that the 4,500 million year old world, where humans have been around for 2 million is going to end as we know it by the end of the century then 4 years, which in reality will be 12 months is nothing.

Cresendra and Pippa may believe they are modern day Pankhursts but they may be part of a long list of prophets that predict apocalyptic events, that never happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... tic_events

Its a bit cultist, a lot like those MAGA loons who were wearing ear plasters at a Republican convention.

Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:34 am

I,d wait untill they glue their hands to whatever and send some farmers past with muck spreaders

Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:39 am

Throw the book at them.

They are impacting peoples lives with their rubbish.

Closing roads, destroying valuable art, the list goes on.

If my mother for instance needed hospital attention immediately and some scruff bags were blocking the road, I would do time.

There is a right way and a wrong way.

This is the wrong way.

Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:48 am

Roath_Blue wrote:Throw the book at them.

They are impacting peoples lives with their rubbish.

Closing roads, destroying valuable art, the list goes on.

If my mother for instance needed hospital attention immediately and some scruff bags were blocking the road, I would do time.

There is a right way and a wrong way.

This is the wrong way.

Sue them for the damage they cause... maje them bankrupt if they got no money... whatever is required their actions must have strong consequences otherwise it will give them cart blanche to do whatever they want ......