Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Caernarfon hit for six by Legia Warsaw in Europe

Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:54 am

Caernarfon hit for six by Legia Warsaw in Europe - https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cn38pdpyxgjo

Yet another chronic embarrassment for the FA of Wales in Europe. Just pack it in and let the main clubs win the Welsh Cup

Re: Caernarfon hit for six by Legia Warsaw in Europe

Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:56 am

Yes its a struggle and embarresment for ametuers to compete with pro' s
but it was "uefa" if i remeber where threatening to stop wales in tournaments
I think there argument was you cannot have a national team if you have no national league
but the welsh league is way behind england scotland
the irish league has been going 20 odd years before the welsh league formed and are no better than wales

Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:21 am

Forever Blue wrote:Caernarfon hit for six by Legia Warsaw in Europe - https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cn38pdpyxgjo

Yet another chronic embarrassment for the FA of Wales in Europe. Just pack it in and let the main clubs win the Welsh Cup

What is the rule now Annis. If Cardiff won the Welsh Cup would we qualify for Europe?

I miss the old days. Remrmber going to Aahus and Belgium

Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:07 am

Paul Keevil wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Caernarfon hit for six by Legia Warsaw in Europe - https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/cn38pdpyxgjo

What is the rule now Annis. If Cardiff won the Welsh Cup would we qualify for Europe?

Paul,

Because we come under the Welsh FA , if we win the Welsh Cup I’ve been told we would be allowed to enter, but the Welsh FA don’t want that.

Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:12 am

montyblue wrote:Yes its a struggle and embarresment for ametuers to compete with pro' s
but it was "uefa" if i remeber where threatening to stop wales in tournaments
I think there argument was you cannot have a national team if you have no national league
but the welsh league is way behind england scotland
the irish league has been going 20 odd years before the welsh league formed and are no better than wales

I think the Irish league is a level up from the Welsh league

Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:34 am

Not deafending the Welsh league but Legia are a good side beat Villa in the group stage last year. Doesn't help these games take place in July before players are up to speed, the Scottish clubs have had some pretty shocking results over the years.

Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:36 am

Both Irish leagues are national league standard with the odd teams league 1. The Cymru Premier is 2 levels below national league level bar TNS who are probably National League north/ south standard.
I don’t think the league has really progressed standard wise since it’s inception. Facilities have improved dramatically but the playing standard hasn’t.

Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:28 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Paul,

Because we come under the Welsh FA , if we win the Welsh Cup I’ve been told we would be allowed to enter, but the Welsh FA don’t want that.

Cheers Annis

We should just put a near first team out in every round and make sure we win the thing.

Then UEFA/FAW will have to make a final decision and put this silly situation to bed for good

Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:30 am

Pencoed wrote:Not deafending the Welsh league but Legia are a good side beat Villa in the group stage last year. Doesn't help these games take place in July before players are up to speed, the Scottish clubs have had some pretty shocking results over the years.

Spot on, the reality is without significant investment they’ll never be able to compete regularly. Take the team that beat TNS the previous evening, their squad on transfermarkt has a higher value than hours…. I know you can’t take that as gospel, but it puts some perspective on things.

Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:55 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:

Paul,

Cheers Annis

We should just put a near first team out in every round and make sure we win the thing.

Then UEFA/FAW will have to make a final decision and put this silly situation to bed for good

We aren't in the Welsh cup though. They've let us into the Welsh League Cup ( for the u21s)

Fri Jul 26, 2024 1:58 pm

Either way we still wouldn't be playing in the champions league. European nights were always a good night though in the old days.

Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:53 am

It raises the hyperthetical question if we won the welsh cup and were allowed into europa league or conference league how far would we get with the current squad.

Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:50 am

Pencoed wrote:Not deafending the Welsh league but Legia are a good side beat Villa in the group stage last year. Doesn't help these games take place in July before players are up to speed, the Scottish clubs have had some pretty shocking results over the years.

Rangers only squeezed past them 0-0 1-0 a couple of years ago, great set of fans who backed their team well

Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:10 am

we are at partial fault for the standard of the welsh leagues, firstly we get the entire fan base really coming to the games, just imagine if Cardiff Swansea and Newport etc weren't in the english system, Cardiff alone really get average of 15,000 fans, they wouldn't get that, it would be split a bit more between the domestic teams, e.g port talbot, Lido etc. they would benefit from the extra income from more fans. also they would first dibs on all academy players coming through in local areas, develop them, and then sell on, thats how teams in Ireland are operating etc.

Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:31 am

Jock wrote:

Rangers only squeezed past them 0-0 1-0 a couple of years ago, great set of fans who backed their team well

They are seasoned euro competitors.. so hardly surprising result....

Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:03 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Jock wrote:

Agree.

I get that the Welsh league is terrible but to post about them losing to a very good team who even we would struggle against isn't really helping anything.

Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:18 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Jock wrote:

Agree.

I get that the Welsh league is terrible but to post about them losing to a very good team who even we would struggle against isn't really helping anything.

Well I was thinking we'd struggle so what chance does a welsh league side have? Welsh league is what it is
Just as bad leagues elsewhere still need it regardless of quality ..... its same reason why ty coch pub enters the fa cup they know get beaten but it's the competing that matters.

Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:05 pm

Cardiff would struggle against legia Warsaw .
Cardiff laid down and died against a few championship teams last season , that’s an embarrassment. Thats why my head goes with Bulut. Cardiff are full time professionals and weren’t competitive at times last season .