Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RUSSELL MARTIN: “ RUBIN COLWILL “

Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:20 am

Russell Martin:

"Their first goal burning Colwill is a moment of brilliance from a player I've liked for a long time.”

“He is a really talented player."

“You could say he’s one of the most gifted players in Cardiff’s squad.”

That was the verdict on Rubin Colwill's wonder-strike from Southampton manager Russell Martin.

Before the Wales international lashed in a stunning 30-yarder to get Cardiff City back level in the Carabao Cup tie, they were being pummelled into submission.

But Colwill produced a moment of utter magic to reignite the tie and had a hand in Cardiff's other two goals, too, which saw the game trickle into injury time at 3-3 against Premier League opposition.

Martin is now a Premier League manager with Saints and has previously waxed lyrical about the playmaker, following Cardiff's 2-1 win over the south coast club back in April. When asked for his verdict on whether Colwill was a Premier League player in waiting, the former Swansea boss offered up a considered response.

"I think he needs to become a really good Championship player first. He hasn't played enough games and he needs to get himself in the Cardiff team regularly," Martin said.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: RUSSELL MARTIN: “ RUBIN COLWILL “

Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:38 am

Forever Blue wrote:Russell Martin:

"Their first goal burning Colwill is a moment of brilliance from a player I've liked for a long time.”

That was the verdict on Rubin Colwill's wonder-strike from Southampton manager Russell Martin.

Before the Wales international lashed in a stunning 30-yarder to get Cardiff City back level in the Carabao Cup tie, they were being pummelled into submission.

But Colwill produced a moment of utter magic to reignite the tie and had a hand in Cardiff's other two goals, too, which saw the game trickle into injury time at 3-3 against Premier League opposition.

Martin is now a Premier League manager with Saints and has previously waxed lyrical about the playmaker, following Cardiff's 2-1 win over the south coast club back in April. When asked for his verdict on whether Colwill was a Premier League player in waiting, the former Swansea boss offered up a considered response.

"I think he needs to become a really good Championship player first. He hasn't played enough games and he needs to get himself in the Cardiff team regularly," Martin said.

Annis, I have to be honest and say that I haven’t been RCs number one fan but I have to admit that he now needs to start.
I’d start him Saturday on the right in place of Meite and give him the licence to cut into the number 10 position as Willock does on the left.
My midfield 3 would then be Siopsis, Ramsey and Robertson.

Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:43 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Russell Martin:

Annis, I have to be honest and say that I haven’t been RCs number one fan but I have to admit that he now needs to start.
I’d start him Saturday on the right in place of Meite and give him the licence to cut into the number 10 position as Willock does on the left.
My midfield 3 would then be Siopsis, Ramsey and Robertson.

Your not the only one Andrew,

But he needs to start for at least 5 games, for confidence and i believe we will see the best in him.

Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:53 am

I'd swap him for Cameron Archer yesterday

Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:16 am

Using Buluts stubborn 4231

Alnwick
Ng Daland Chambers Bagan

Robertson Ramsey
Colwill
El Ghazi Willock
Kanga

Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:18 am

I’m a big fan of Colwill but why does he run around looking like it’s the last minute of extra time?

Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:36 am

He outstanding woth the ball but colwil down fall is his positioning without it and his back tracking if he improved that he would be a premier league player .

Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:02 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:Using Buluts stubborn 4231

Alnwick
Ng Daland Chambers Bagan

Robertson Ramsey
Colwill
El Ghazi Willock
Kanga

O'Dowda starts every week.

Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:23 pm

I’m a big fan of colwill but he should be starting more shouldn’t have brought him off last night has he was pulling all the strings for us he scored a great goal last night thats one thing about him when he scores he always scores a great goal