Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

352 > 4231

Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:08 pm

Looking at the squad, and the current frustrations with an insufficient return from our strikers, I'd like to see Kanga and Robinson lead the line together.

My preference of Starting XI(Most glaring omission being Willock/ unsure as a wingback, maybe he'd rotate with Colwill):

Horvath
Ng Goutas Daland
Tanner Rino Robertson O'Dowda
Colwill
Kanga Robinson

We demand so much of every striker we bring in and it so rarely works out when we lead the line with 1. The slow build up play that endlessly frustrates fans is inevitably snuffed out when a laboured ball into the box is met by 2 CB's towering over and bullying our striker.

I'm suprised that Goutas isn't in more peoples starting XI's, he more than proved himself last year. I think he's still the perfect option for an anchored CB that wins every header, but support him with more agile partners in a pairing of 3. Both NG and Daland are capable of passing through the lines, but would provide much needed cover if we played with Tanner and O'Dowda as wingbacks.

I think Rino is overlooked too often as a solid, athletic midfielder that could more frequently be in contention to start more often. With 3 at the back, and 2 in front in Rino and Robertson, you'd surely then enable a much freer, roaming role to Colwill to then hopefully blossom with 2 in front of him doing the leg work of pressing defences, working the channels and breaking the defensive line.

We also forget just how good Robinson has been over his career, he's a superb striker that has been starved of service.

In a 352, with the kind of players we currently have(which is a promising squad, i'm not sure it's top 6, but it's certainly promising) - we could be agile to switch shapes throughout the game. NG can step into midfield alongside Rino, to allow Robertson to press higher up with Colwill, and the wing backs are given both defensive cover, as well as the freedom to attack the wings.

Sio, El Ghazi, Ramsey, Turnbull, Willock and Chambers then all providing excellent rotation and cover options.

Re: 352 > 4231

Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:17 pm

WildWestCardiff wrote:Looking at the squad, and the current frustrations with an insufficient return from our strikers, I'd like to see Kanga and Robinson lead the line together.

My preference of Starting XI(Most glaring omission being Willock/ unsure as a wingback, maybe he'd rotate with Colwill):

Horvath
Ng Goutas Daland
Colwill
Kanga Robinson

We demand so much of every striker we bring in and it so rarely works out when we lead the line with 1. The slow build up play that endlessly frustrates fans is inevitably snuffed out when a laboured ball into the box is met by 2 CB's towering over and bullying our striker.

I'm suprised that Goutas isn't in more peoples starting XI's, he more than proved himself last year. I think he's still the perfect option for an anchored CB that wins every header, but support him with more agile partners in a pairing of 3. Both NG and Daland are capable of passing through the lines, but would provide much needed cover if we played with Tanner and O'Dowda as wingbacks.

I think Rino is overlooked too often as a solid, athletic midfielder that could more frequently be in contention to start more often. With 3 at the back, and 2 in front in Rino and Robertson, you'd surely then enable a much freer, roaming role to Colwill to then hopefully blossom with 2 in front of him doing the leg work of pressing defences, working the channels and breaking the defensive line.

We also forget just how good Robinson has been over his career, he's a superb striker that has been starved of service.

In a 352, with the kind of players we currently have(which is a promising squad, i'm not sure it's top 6, but it's certainly promising) - we could be agile to switch shapes throughout the game. NG can step into midfield alongside Rino, to allow Robertson to press higher up with Colwill, and the wing backs are given both defensive cover, as well as the freedom to attack the wings.

Sio, El Ghazi, Ramsey, Turnbull, Willock and Chambers then all providing excellent rotation and cover options.

You've left out Chambers and Willock yet play Rinomhota.

You lost me when you put Rinomhota in.

Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:26 pm

That was great to read.

Mostly because it’s a brilliant example of why us fans should never be involved in selecting the team.

Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:41 pm

Absolute bizarre selection

Thu Aug 29, 2024 4:57 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
WildWestCardiff wrote:Looking at the squad, and the current frustrations with an insufficient return from our strikers, I'd like to see Kanga and Robinson lead the line together.

Horvath
Ng Goutas Daland
Colwill
Kanga Robinson

Don’t get me wrong I like both Chambers and Willock. But in my ponderings, the question is how do you set up a new system with the same squad that provides: more defensive cover, legs in midfield and support for our strikers?

Have a go at filling out a 352^

Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:00 pm

WildWestCardiff wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:

Horvath
Ng Goutas Daland
Colwill
Kanga Robinson

Don’t get me wrong I like both Chambers and Willock. But in my ponderings, the question is how do you set up a new system with the same squad that provides: more defensive cover, legs in midfield and support for our strikers?

Maybe that's why we aren't playing a 352??

Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:06 pm

Roath_Blue wrote:
WildWestCardiff wrote:
Roath_Blue wrote:

Horvath
Ng Goutas Daland
Colwill
Kanga Robinson

Maybe that's why we aren't playing a 352??

Could well be, but aren’t many are convinced by our style or recent results!