Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Assessment of Transfer Window : (1) In th

Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:51 am

Assessment of Transfer Window :

(1) In the C1/2 positions we have replaced Phillips and McGuinness with Chambers , Daland and Fish.

(2) For the wide players we have replaced Grant and Bowler with Willock and El Ghazi .

(3) In midfield we have replaced Wintle with Robertson .

(4) Up front we have replaced Ugbo with Kanga.

The reality is we can only tell ….if we have improved or not ……when we actually see them play over ten games or so. However … on paper ……what do you think ?

Remember , I am only talking football here …..not money (I am writing about this separately).

Naturally , I have my opinions ….but I am asking for your opinion ….. purely on football.

Re: Assessment of Transfer Window : (1) I

Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:58 am

No substantial money spent on decent forwards says it all Annis. More nonsense from Dalman, they've no
intention of going for promotion with a serious lack of fire power, more especially with injuries.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:00 am

On the 4 points above I think we’ve definitely improved. The only one questionable is Ugbo and Kanga. Ugbo scored a few for us but didn’t really do much else but he went elsewhere and got goals, and Kanga hasn’t had really had a chance to show us what he can do yet. I think our biggest problem is creating the chances, but with our upgrades in midfield and wide areas that should improve hopefully.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:00 am

Wiggy wrote:No substantial money spent on decent forwards says it all Annis. More nonsense from Dalman, they've no
intention of going for promotion with a serious lack of fire power, more especially with injuries.

Exactly Wiggy,

All Bullshit again and False Promises

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:01 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:On the 4 points above I think we’ve definitely improved. The only one questionable is Ugbo and Kanga. Ugbo scored a few for us but didn’t really do much else but he went elsewhere and got goals, and Kanga hasn’t had really had a chance to show us what he can do yet. I think our biggest problem is creating the chances, but with our upgrades in midfield and wide areas that should improve hopefully.

Well then if we have improved, as you back everything.
Top 6 min, maybe Top 2.
That will be a big improvement as promised.

Well everyone knew we desperately needed a good, quality Striker, even 2 ??

For me without these in the long run we will suffer.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:On the 4 points above I think we’ve definitely improved. The only one questionable is Ugbo and Kanga. Ugbo scored a few for us but didn’t really do much else but he went elsewhere and got goals, and Kanga hasn’t had really had a chance to show us what he can do yet. I think our biggest problem is creating the chances, but with our upgrades in midfield and wide areas that should improve hopefully.

Well then if we have improved, as you back everything.
Top 6 min, maybe Top 2.
That will be a big improvement as promised.

Well everyone knew we desperately needed a good, quality Striker, even 2 ??

For me without these in the long run we will suffer.

I do think Top 6 is possible, we are a better team this year in a weaker championship. Once everyone is fully fit I think we’ll be very dangerous.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:04 am

I don't think we are any stronger than last season .

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:20 am

You need to score goals to win games

We don’t look capable.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:40 am

I think we have slightly improved especially the wide forwards but looking at the window I think the standard of the championship is about to
Improve so at best we have treaded water or worse gone backwards
The striker situation is ridiculous

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:01 am

I think we have improved in points 2 & 3. Point 1 I'm undecided but massively disappointed with 4. Kanga may end up being better than Ugbo but I really thought we'd invest in quality up top and we just haven't.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:40 am

The question is have we improved the squad from last year .Results and position In the league will tell us by Christmas time .After about 8-12 games in will have an idea of what to expect .The system bulut is playing has changed aswell. New system new playing style it's all gonna need time .
I can see a positive improvement in the system he is trying to play but the other concern is we ship goals aswell.
As for the striker we are all disappointed we didn't get in a proven striker and to spend 2m on one and loan him out and say he's for the future. We thats cut created more frustration for fans hasn't it.
Plenty of players in our team who can score and create goals .
So it's up to the manager and players to do that.
As for kanga it doesn't fill me with confidence but he has to be given our backing he deserves his chance.
If it all clicks in to place we may be a decent side but top 2 or even top 6 as bullet said is looking way off .Good luck to all at city this year already playing must win games bottom of the league need a win v borough today or where already looking a long way up the table .
I will say we have no philosophy or identity in the way we play and for years we need one from top to bottom of the club and we are a bit lost with that and I think it's been our problem .
If the set piece stops working and we can't score we are doomed .
Let's give em all a chance to make it work for me I just hope we stay in the league there's definitely a frailty about us and it's because we haven't been run from the top properly for years and years I do fear it's catching up with us the warnings have been there for years now .It's frustrating as a fan because we all see it .
Good luck city today against boro and the rest of the season

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:46 am

I am really concerned that we will struggle this season. I agree that the replacements other than a striker have improved our squad from last year (although I think we will miss Grant) but without goals and not being able to defend (so far) means we will struggle. It could be a tough season.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:49 am

For me Ugbo looks way better than Kanga and scored 7 in 18 for Sheffield Wednesday last season.

I think the reason most fans are frustrated is that since KM left, a striker was clearly our number one target. I understand it's not easy and we could miss out in one window but how can we make the same mistakes over 6 windows and still be scratching our heads as to why we haven't signed one.

When Isaac Davies got injured this was even more important so unfortunately we've failed in our number 1 priority.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:59 am

Definitely an upgrade in Defence, Midfield and out wide

Simic could be the answer up front but we won’t know until next season because of the bizarre situation with him and the jury is out on Kanga(it’s way to early to write him off)

I think the real disappointment is that yet again we haven’t solved the immediate problem of striker

Robbo, Kanga and Meite are going to need to step up!!

Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:22 am

On paper i think we've improved slighty,i think we'll be lower midtable though but who knows

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:04 am

Forever Blue wrote:Assessment of Transfer Window :

(1) In the C1/2 positions we have replaced Phillips and McGuinness with Chambers , Daland and Fish.

(2) For the wide players we have replaced Grant and Bowler with Willock and El Ghazi .

The reality is we can only tell ….if we have improved or not ……when we actually see them play over ten games or so. However … on paper ……what do you think ?

Remember , I am only talking football here …..not money (I am writing about this separately).

Naturally , I have my opinions ….but I am asking for your opinion ….. purely on football.

I think we are stronger this season

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:33 am

Besides the obvious lack of a quality striker which we all wanted, I think it's been a great transfer window. Some really good quality players in and some promising youngsters there to cover if needed.

However, our biggest problem isn't not signing a striker, it's whether Bulut can and/or will change his tactics. Personally I don't think he can and/or will so I think we will struggle this season if he stays for the duration.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:37 am

I agree, Squad is stronger, but if we don’t score goals, then it will mean nothing once again.

Boro are probably one of the best teams to start scoring against.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:43 am

As another poster put, if you're looking for a bright side CR is looking on form and over his injury problem from last year and Bagan will hopefully now get opportunities at LB.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:57 am

Decent window overall. If he plays the right team that is.
El ghazi when fit will be a weapon.
Robertson the midfielder we have needed since jordon mutch.
Dalaand looks assured and confident.

If he persists with Robinson there may be hope. Kanga jury is out

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:58 am

I’ll start with the positives.

I’m pleased with the signings of Robertson, Daland, Willock and El Ghazi.

Daland - looks like a defender who is comfortable on the ball and will fit in well

Robertson - the midfielder we’ve been missing for years

Willock - a good winger who will get better as the season goes on

El Ghazi - brings obvious quality

Kanga, Fish and Chambers need to get to full fitness before I can properly judge.

But there’s a clear negative which stands out.

We had to bring in another striker yesterday and we failed.

That could cost us massively. A couple of injuries and we are in big trouble.

So can’t give the window a good score.

But at least Kortrijk have a new striker.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:03 am

Forever Blue wrote:Assessment of Transfer Window :

I agree with you Annis, need to analyse them properly after 10 games.

However, from the little we have seen I think Kanga has something about him, and will get at least 10 goals.

Daland replacing McGuinness. Only one game, but I think he showed he was better than McGuinness in that one game alone.
Chambers I don’t think is better defensively than Phillips (but it’s close) but Chambers is more comfortable bringing the ball out, in the way we’re looking to try and play.

Grant is a workhorse, but I always felt his end product lacked. Same goes with Bowler, except in spells.
Willock and El Ghazi have both shown they have that end product for previous clubs.

Robertson was exceptional the other night, and if he transitions the play as quickly as he did then, he’s a huge upgrade on Wintle.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:17 am

Overall its been a decent transfer window despite the obvious missing player.... whilst most are concentrating on the lack of prominent striker khanga could be very useful when upto speed... definitely need 10 games to see if any significant change in buluts football plan after that we'll have good idea if we're going up or down table rest of season

Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:33 pm

We have a made slight improvements, especially on paper but unfortunately, as a wise man once said, the game is played on grass.

I just don't think VT will ever provide a reasonable budget for a realistic promotion push as part of a cohesive exit plan.