Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I feel Numb - We need changes from the top to the bottom.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:17 pm

After todays performance I just feel numb. I am shocked, embarrassed, angry, frustrated and all of that rolled into one at what my club, our club, has become.

Lets be honest with ourselves. This is not down to Bulut. I understand why there are those that want him gone but our problems are far bigger than whether Bulut is the right manager or not.

Our club is decaying and has problems right the way from the top and right down to the bottom.

We have an owner who appears to have no interest in funding the club the way it needs to be funded to achieve premiership football. We appear to be his plaything. He spends very little time here. Other directors, with the exclusion of Steve Borley, spend very little time here. There is no one here with their finger on the pulse and getting a grasp as to the size of the problem (Like Jim Ratcliffe at United) and we wonder why we now have a monumental problem.

There are others who want to buy the club but such is the stubborness of Tan that he insists our club is worth £200m.

I honestly believe that if Sam had been allowed to buy the club last year he would have spent close on £20m this summer getting us in a position to challenge Burnley for a promotion space. But Tan has no interest in wanting to watch someone else succeed where he has clearly failed.

Such is the interest of Tan that Kortrijk now appear to be his priority and that is why we pay for them to get a striker when we are short of goals ourselves. It stinks. It really does.

But the decay is not just at the top. It is at the bottom as well. There are those who, in the past, have criticised Purse for the results of the Under 21. But having watched them a few weeks ago it was clear to me Purse is not the issue. He is giving his best. He can only play the players he has. Where our under 16, Under 18s and Under 21s are suffering because of the failure of recruitment. Sure we are not a Class A Academy but we fking well should be. Long before now. When I think back to my days going to Treforest and watching what Sam, Bobby Gould and Lennie Lawrence put together I cant help but think we are a million miles away from that now - such is the decay of our youth program. Sure Man City and Celtic buy lots of talent. But there are plenty of other players at other clubs we should be looking at and bringing to our club. We have to increase our scouting network so that our Under21s lose very few games and the players can walk into the 1st team easily when needed.

So we are struggling with promotion from the Under 21s and we are struggling when it comes to funding our 1st team

The end result is that we have. A club that needs a total overhaul from the top right down to the bottom.

We need Sam, or someone else with similar funds, as ownership of the club. We need an immediate £20m injection into our first team playing staff. We need a manager, a proven manager, like Rob Edwards or Kieran McKenna to take over and pay them enough to come here. Make it worth their while.

We need Steve Borley to be given the task of ensuring we become a Cat A Academy within 12 months.

And we need a scouting network setup solely to look at quality Under 21 players and to get them to our club.

Sorry, not sorry, for the rant. After today I am annoyed of what our club has become.

Re: I feel Numb - We need changes from the top to the bottom

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:28 pm

Well said and well written, Paul… :clap:

Much of what you write is spot on, although there is now pressure on Erol Bulut himself; and I’ve been as supportive as I can

Vincent Tan is, IMHO, being unrealistic in his requirements for a sale and sadly, the dream of Sam taking over is pretty remote as things stand

Going to get interesting over the next few weeks

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:30 pm

Brilliant and Honest Post Paul :bluebird:

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:31 pm

I feel you're pain m8 after watching that I won't call it a performance things need to change at OUR CLUB ASAP WITH YOU 100% FANS DESERVE A LOT MORE THAN THIS

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:35 pm

Agree with every point, although, in addition, I think Tan/ the board have made an error bringing Bulut to our club.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:40 pm

Agree with all of that particularly about Sam buying the club and investing in the squad and bringing back the fans, and reinvigorating the club. However I disagree about Bulut, a lot of the responsibility falls on his hapless stubborn shoulders, a manager whose system creates problems that have lingered for a year and he has failed to fix them. That’s poor management and all those historic problems we’re all on display today big time. When he re signed it gave me a bad feeling, it sickens me to say that hunch is coming true. Top 6 my arse

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:42 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:After todays performance I just feel numb. I am shocked, embarrassed, angry, frustrated and all of that rolled into one at what my club, our club, has become.

Lets be honest with ourselves. This is not down to Bulut. I understand why there are those that want him gone but our problems are far bigger than whether Bulut is the right manager or not.

Our club is decaying and has problems right the way from the top and right down to the bottom.

We have an owner who appears to have no interest in funding the club the way it needs to be funded to achieve premiership football. We appear to be his plaything. He spends very little time here. Other directors, with the exclusion of Steve Borley, spend very little time here. There is no one here with their finger on the pulse and getting a grasp as to the size of the problem (Like Jim Ratcliffe at United) and we wonder why we now have a monumental problem.

There are others who want to buy the club but such is the stubborness of Tan that he insists our club is worth £200m.

I honestly believe that if Sam had been allowed to buy the club last year he would have spent close on £20m this summer getting us in a position to challenge Burnley for a promotion space. But Tan has no interest in wanting to watch someone else succeed where he has clearly failed.

Such is the interest of Tan that Kortrijk now appear to be his priority and that is why we pay for them to get a striker when we are short of goals ourselves. It stinks. It really does.

But the decay is not just at the top. It is at the bottom as well. There are those who, in the past, have criticised Purse for the results of the Under 21. But having watched them a few weeks ago it was clear to me Purse is not the issue. He is giving his best. He can only play the players he has. Where our under 16, Under 18s and Under 21s are suffering because of the failure of recruitment. Sure we are not a Class A Academy but we fking well should be. Long before now. When I think back to my days going to Treforest and watching what Sam, Bobby Gould and Lennie Lawrence put together I cant help but think we are a million miles away from that now - such is the decay of our youth program. Sure Man City and Celtic buy lots of talent. But there are plenty of other players at other clubs we should be looking at and bringing to our club. We have to increase our scouting network so that our Under21s lose very few games and the players can walk into the 1st team easily when needed.

So we are struggling with promotion from the Under 21s and we are struggling when it comes to funding our 1st team

The end result is that we have. A club that needs a total overhaul from the top right down to the bottom.

We need Sam, or someone else with similar funds, as ownership of the club. We need an immediate £20m injection into our first team playing staff. We need a manager, a proven manager, like Rob Edwards or Kieran McKenna to take over and pay them enough to come here. Make it worth their while.

We need Steve Borley to be given the task of ensuring we become a Cat A Academy within 12 months.

And we need a scouting network setup solely to look at quality Under 21 players and to get them to our club.

Sorry, not sorry, for the rant. After today I am annoyed of what our club has become.

Great post and my sentiments entirely. Tan and his cronies can FK off. There must be someone out there who can turn us around.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:51 pm

Well written Paul,starts and ends with new owner for me

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:54 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:After todays performance I just feel numb. I am shocked, embarrassed, angry, frustrated and all of that rolled into one at what my club, our club, has become.

Tan won 2 promotions to the PL so presumably believes the 'model' the club works on will deliver again. However 2 people won us those promotions, Craig Bellamy and then Neil Warnock. For me what sums the club up was the 6 weeks or so before the start of the season when not one single word or comment cam out of the club - it's as if it's being run remotely. Unfortunately Dalman believed we were the 12th best side in the Championship last season, yet we were far from it - probably close to the bottom 3/4, but Dalman bought it, Bulut got his 2yr deal, and surprise, surprise, we're heading down to where we belong..

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:55 pm

Totally agree with everything you say Paul.

The question for me is........as fans what are we prepared to do about it.

As a fan base we have lost our way, our voice, our identity.

We need to stand up for our club. The only way to make Tan, Dalman and Choo feel uncomfortable is to make the atmosphere, our presence in the ground uncomfortable for them.

With so many of our games now being shown live on Sky we now have the platform.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:56 pm

I agree.

We need an owner who is interested in the club, involved in the club and feels the depressing disappointment that we feel week in week out. That will help make better decisions.

We haven't been able to score goals for four years. We all see the sideways football, the two holding midfielders always played at home, one up top totally isolated.

Bulet just came out again and blamed everyone except himself and his rigid system.

Even if we lose I want to be entertained, the last three seasons have been dreadful.

Thoroughly pissed off, angry and depressed.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:27 pm

Agree with all that has been said I feel like cutting my season ticket up.Bullitt is way out of his league and should be sacked now and not in the future before it's to later Unfortunately our club is absolutely doomed while the morons running us just laugh in our faces.They will only act when it's to late.Say goodbye to our great club bluebirds.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 3:59 pm

It starts at the top.

Painful. It's like doing time until we get a new owner.

Losing tlfans by the 1000s..

It hurts, a constant big grey cloud...

Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:37 pm

Everywhere I've gone when things go wrong its down to a stubborn management that is the problem and Tan is the worse I have seen.

A guy with no football noose at all and while we have this in place at the top we are going nowhere but down.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:41 pm

Good post by can't agree that Bulut is not a massive part of the problem.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 4:42 pm

I dont normally bash the owners because Tan puts the money in, but something is not right, it dont feel like a football club with a future.

Where we are we should be Cat 1 to get all the youngester in from around Wales and the south east/west

Look what Swansea did when they had it

Dunno what to think about Bulut, did he not get some players he wanted? But our front line is useless, every game feels like 9v11, every home game feels like an away game

Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:38 pm

Nail on the head...cracking post
Tan is now like a cancer

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:07 pm

Good post, I think your feeling the same as most city fans right now.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:56 pm

Bluebird 67 wrote:Nail on the head...cracking post
Tan is now like a cancer

He’s been a cancer from the very beginning

Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:27 pm

We need a miracle

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:09 pm

Cardiff City as a club has slowly died since Sam left.
He invested money he didn't have.
But sold us all a dream.
And my we bought it and lived it.
You would come away from the match buzzing for days.
He is our only hope imo.
The man truly loves us.
Ask Annis he will tell you.
Tan needs to get over his ego and do the right thing.
And sell it to the man who really wants to take us somewhere.
"We want Sam walking around the pitch"

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:25 pm

Tan might need this club to clean his I'll gotten gains, why else would you own a club and not give a shit about it,

You buy a club your all in or your all out

Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:34 am

Right now the performance on the pitch is down to EB, until the beginning of the season I supported him, but the performance so far is shocking, and i feel the board need to act now before its too late - the question is who do you replace him with.

As for the way the club is run and the state the club is in currently, then for me the main reason is we have both a part time Chairman and a part time CEO, and as I have said before neither know enough about football to warrant their positions let alone do it part time, both of them need to go imo.

If and the longer it goes on the bigger the if, but IF Tan is still interested in this club, he would replace KC & MD and also bring in a director of football, one with a pedigree in the game, one that can liaise between him and the manager, recruitment etc about the style of play the type of player (and manager) required, etc etc

The problem as I see it is that KC is Tans mate and that MD has too much financially invested in the club now for Tan to get rid as I bet MD has clauses to pay back his loans quicker if he was too go.

For such an astute business man I cannot understand why Tan has not done anything about the heirarchy at the club, unless it is as I say above ? And until that shake up is made then we will continue to yo-yo up and down the championship and nothing more, the value of the club will still continue to decline and Tan will never get any money for it whatsoever. And god forbid as it is right now if nothing changes then relegation is very much a possibility.

The only positive I can say is that I dont think Tan doesn’t care, otherwise he wouldn’t have continued investing in the club to the tune of a million pound a month (£3m a month if you believe the spin doctor) what he needs to do is to stop looking at the football manager and start looking closer to home at his own club management structure.