Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

No Ambition from the Club

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:52 pm

There's a number of similar threads regarding the team, and recent performances. I'd like to take a view which in some ways mirrors what is being said, but in another provide a viewpoint that back up my thoughts over the last few years.

No I am am not a Tan follower, far from it, and he has to shoulder blame. I am not in this topic going to absolve Bulut of some of the blame as his tactics have been wierd, poor, whatever you want to call it. I wonder why things have taken such a turn for the worse.

lets get the obvious out of the way. Tan must GO. Over the last number of years, we have had manager after manager, player after player, squad after squad. The end product in terms of results, goals, performances, league position has not changed. The one constant that has remained at the club during all this time is Tan.

We have had a League Cup final and two Premier appearances under Tan, with both the latter being a huge disappointment. The League Cup final was a clear success story, and will live long in the mind. Those who have supported or given Tan the benefit of the doubt, are perfectly entitled to their opinion. Tan has overseen the last what? 13 years. I would suggest that the majority has been abject failure. What have we become accustomed to?

1. The board being a slow reactive board, not a proactive one. All decisions regarding manager appointments, player signings being left to the absolute last minute, and, to normal supporters, being made without genuine care as to the outcome of such decisions
2. Taking the easy, cheap option with managers, appointing from within even though those benefitting from the appointment have no experience of Managing, let alone managing in the Championship.
3. Transfer deadline day being an utter let down especially recently
4. Asking whoever is manager to go a season without sufficient cover in certain positions. I'll point out the obvious striker situation, but also when we had to play Bacuna at RB all season as we had no recognised RB at the club.
5. Spin, spin and more Spin. Every year, it'll be this year'll be different... It never is.
6. The club/committee continuing to sign players that the manager knows nothing about
7. Signing players unfit, not fit to play immediately, or injury prone.

Has Tan backed Bulut. No in my opinion. Based on the sale of McGuiness and Adams, and the freeing up of wages on Wintle, Romeo, Adams, McGuiness, Sawyers, Evans, Fagan-Walcott, Conte. Even given for the fees paid out for Robertson, Fish etc, we are, in my humble, uneducated opinion we are still in a net profit situation. I am not of the opinion that Tan has shelled out any NEW money at all.

About the ambition..... Is Tan ambitious? He wants a top 2 finish. Sorry, but here is an owner who, until June had a team with no manager, no pre-season, and as such no ability to plan for 2024/25. Here is a team who is so desperately in need of a striker. A key position to push us onwards. He has let the window open and shut without as much as a wimper or a word on a striker. Top 2 when you wont shell out for a striker Mr Tan?

This brings me onto Kanga. I simply cannot believe Bulut went out and used his scouting contacts to say 'this is the person to score us the goals' . Now, I'm not saying he is a poor player, and I'm not critisicing him for not scoring, but he looks either lazy or unfit. Bulut knows the formation and style we play and must have been able to see that the style doesnt suit a Kanga sort of player. Again, therefore in my limited knowledge and humble opinion, Kanga is not a Bulut signing.

Mr Tan, you can either afford a player or not. I get that. I certainly cant afford to shell out that sort of money. If you can afford it and are ambitious, then why not show it. If you cant afford it then get out of the football business. Thank you for investing when few would, but please, if you cannot afford to make a club competitive, sell the club for as much as you can and move on. A Club is only worth what buyers are prepared to pay for it

Have we made good signings this window, maybe yes. However, so have many other clubs. If we want to become successful again, we need more than good players, we need very good, excellent, outstanding players. We also need the basics of a striker, and we do not have one.

As for Bulut, could Tan have expected more. Absolutely. His tactics are way to defense minded, we refuses to change a system or style that is clearly not working. Once we go behind we are, generally a beaten side. Having been a supporter of Bulut, I am now seriously concerned now the window has shut and we are left with what we have. Bulut cannot organise a successful team.

Bulut said he wanted assurances from Tan. Well, I am not convinced that he has been provided those assurances in terms of players or finance. If this is the case, surely a man of his convictions would have walked if promises apparantly made regarding personnel/players were not forthcoming. If he is still prepared to work under these circumstances, if indeed he has been stitched up somewhat (my opinion only) then its disappointing.

What a mess this club has become from top to bottom from the board to the manager to the players. As I have said, players, managers have come and gone.... now it is time for Tan to do the same thing.

We can already write the script for the January transfer window already. Plenty of huffs and puffs on the message board, sightings, rumours. As for anything that would show ambition and intent? Well the fans can sit up til 1100pm and be disappointed once more.

Re: No Ambition from the Club

Sat Aug 31, 2024 6:57 pm

Very good post.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:08 pm

Well said Barclay.

Hard to disagree with anything you say in that post.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:12 pm

Same old, we've been saying this for years, sick of saying the same thing. TAN OUT!

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:16 pm

We all new if you do not spend big on a striker other clubs will and move on recently in the last 5/10 seasons or so we where playing in the championship the likes of fulham wolves villa Brentford forrest they all splashed out big money on the squads
Its the same in the prem spend big and you stay at the top
we cannot match these clubs so we are where we are
a few million here and there loans etc will not cut it
so until we have new owners we will make up the numbers in the championship until then.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:21 pm

montyblue wrote:We all new if you do not spend big on a striker other clubs will and move on recently in the last 5/10 seasons or so we where playing in the championship the likes of fulham wolves villa Brentford forrest they all splashed out big money on the squads
so until we have new owners we will make up the numbers in the championship until then.

A Point well made, but I believe the danger however is that we will be making up the numbers in League One, and not the Championship. Our value plummets, and as such Tan will have to stop digging his heels in. Then again, as has been said, this is regurgitating what a lot of people already realise.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:29 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
montyblue wrote:We all new if you do not spend big on a striker other clubs will and move on recently in the last 5/10 seasons or so we where playing in the championship the likes of fulham wolves villa Brentford forrest they all splashed out big money on the squads

A Point well made, but I believe the danger however is that we will be making up the numbers in League One, and not the Championship. Our value plummets, and as such Tan will have to stop digging his heels in. Then again, as has been said, this is regurgitating what a lot of people already realise.

Tan will not like been rock bottom wanting a top 2 finish from bulut and it was dalmans choice of manager not tans
Tan would also go into panic mode if he thought his investment was going down the sh.tter and will act accordingly
If bulut looses the next 3 he will be gone.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:46 pm

Well said jenny totally agree.....excellent post

Sat Aug 31, 2024 7:50 pm

Absolutely fantastic post ! Im sure you say this for thousands of Cardiff Supporters !! Its all truth not like all the lies we have been told over the years ! Well done to you for saying it as it is :clap: :clap: :clap: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:11 pm

Great post ,just about sums everything up.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:17 pm

Barclay1 wrote:There's a number of similar threads regarding the team, and recent performances. I'd like to take a view which in some ways mirrors what is being said, but in another provide a viewpoint that back up my thoughts over the last few years.

No I am am not a Tan follower, far from it, and he has to shoulder blame. I am not in this topic going to absolve Bulut of some of the blame as his tactics have been wierd, poor, whatever you want to call it. I wonder why things have taken such a turn for the worse.

lets get the obvious out of the way. Tan must GO. Over the last number of years, we have had manager after manager, player after player, squad after squad. The end product in terms of results, goals, performances, league position has not changed. The one constant that has remained at the club during all this time is Tan.

We have had a League Cup final and two Premier appearances under Tan, with both the latter being a huge disappointment. The League Cup final was a clear success story, and will live long in the mind. Those who have supported or given Tan the benefit of the doubt, are perfectly entitled to their opinion. Tan has overseen the last what? 13 years. I would suggest that the majority has been abject failure. What have we become accustomed to?

1. The board being a slow reactive board, not a proactive one. All decisions regarding manager appointments, player signings being left to the absolute last minute, and, to normal supporters, being made without genuine care as to the outcome of such decisions
2. Taking the easy, cheap option with managers, appointing from within even though those benefitting from the appointment have no experience of Managing, let alone managing in the Championship.
3. Transfer deadline day being an utter let down especially recently
4. Asking whoever is manager to go a season without sufficient cover in certain positions. I'll point out the obvious striker situation, but also when we had to play Bacuna at RB all season as we had no recognised RB at the club.
5. Spin, spin and more Spin. Every year, it'll be this year'll be different... It never is.
6. The club/committee continuing to sign players that the manager knows nothing about
7. Signing players unfit, not fit to play immediately, or injury prone.

Has Tan backed Bulut. No in my opinion. Based on the sale of McGuiness and Adams, and the freeing up of wages on Wintle, Romeo, Adams, McGuiness, Sawyers, Evans, Fagan-Walcott, Conte. Even given for the fees paid out for Robertson, Fish etc, we are, in my humble, uneducated opinion we are still in a net profit situation. I am not of the opinion that Tan has shelled out any NEW money at all.

About the ambition..... Is Tan ambitious? He wants a top 2 finish. Sorry, but here is an owner who, until June had a team with no manager, no pre-season, and as such no ability to plan for 2024/25. Here is a team who is so desperately in need of a striker. A key position to push us onwards. He has let the window open and shut without as much as a wimper or a word on a striker. Top 2 when you wont shell out for a striker Mr Tan?

This brings me onto Kanga. I simply cannot believe Bulut went out and used his scouting contacts to say 'this is the person to score us the goals' . Now, I'm not saying he is a poor player, and I'm not critisicing him for not scoring, but he looks either lazy or unfit. Bulut knows the formation and style we play and must have been able to see that the style doesnt suit a Kanga sort of player. Again, therefore in my limited knowledge and humble opinion, Kanga is not a Bulut signing.

Mr Tan, you can either afford a player or not. I get that. I certainly cant afford to shell out that sort of money. If you can afford it and are ambitious, then why not show it. If you cant afford it then get out of the football business. Thank you for investing when few would, but please, if you cannot afford to make a club competitive, sell the club for as much as you can and move on. A Club is only worth what buyers are prepared to pay for it

Have we made good signings this window, maybe yes. However, so have many other clubs. If we want to become successful again, we need more than good players, we need very good, excellent, outstanding players. We also need the basics of a striker, and we do not have one.

As for Bulut, could Tan have expected more. Absolutely. His tactics are way to defense minded, we refuses to change a system or style that is clearly not working. Once we go behind we are, generally a beaten side. Having been a supporter of Bulut, I am now seriously concerned now the window has shut and we are left with what we have. Bulut cannot organise a successful team.

Bulut said he wanted assurances from Tan. Well, I am not convinced that he has been provided those assurances in terms of players or finance. If this is the case, surely a man of his convictions would have walked if promises apparantly made regarding personnel/players were not forthcoming. If he is still prepared to work under these circumstances, if indeed he has been stitched up somewhat (my opinion only) then its disappointing.

What a mess this club has become from top to bottom from the board to the manager to the players. As I have said, players, managers have come and gone.... now it is time for Tan to do the same thing.

We can already write the script for the January transfer window already. Plenty of huffs and puffs on the message board, sightings, rumours. As for anything that would show ambition and intent? Well the fans can sit up til 1100pm and be disappointed once more.

What a fantastic post. :thumbup:

Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:20 pm

Great post.
Not defending Tan at all.
He just keeps the club afloat is his only input that most of us hold as an opinion.
But wasn't it quoted on here that he didn't want to give Bulut a contract.
But was talked around by Dalmar?
Anyway that aside.
The money Tan doesn't want to invest in a striker surely he is drastically losing in bums on seats.
And any new appointment if Bulut get the inevitable will just be another cheap quick fix and so the problem rolls on.
Shame to all the above as some good signings have happened this window.
But even more are not included in the squad such as Reindof.
Or sit on the bench when they should be starters like Colwill and Tanner.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:26 pm

Sorry Barclay should be jonny

Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:39 pm

As controversial and unpopular to some fans.
The last time imo we had an owner that had passion and gave us all something to believe in was Sam Hammam.
He brought life to the club.
Ninian Park was a fortress.
And the atmosphere was electric.
I'd have him back any day.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:09 pm

NinianLFW wrote:As controversial and unpopular to some fans.
The last time imo we had an owner that had passion and gave us all something to believe in was Sam Hammam.
He brought life to the club.
Ninian Park was a fortress.
And the atmosphere was electric.
I'd have him back any day.

Totally agree.

It won’t happen anytime soon because Tan’s stubbornness means he refuses to sell to any buyer involving Sam but it is a nice thought.

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:11 pm

Well said but the problem remains, we can talk about Tan must go and I totally agree, but in reality how is that going to happen,his culture is all about being successful, the fact he has no football knowledge has led the systematic degradation of our club, to him it's a business opportunity, to us it's much more.

Hold this thought 1yr 2yr 5yr 10yr

As long Tan can clean money through this club we are F##@@D

Sat Aug 31, 2024 9:29 pm

Great post but the big question is ownership wise who can we compare tan with?. Various people have owned the club but have failed to take it forward but have to be applauded for keeping it afloat.tan for the majority of his tenure has prociced over us in the second tier of english football which is where we have spent 50% of our league history.in that respect he's a stereotypical Cardiff city owner but when he goes I'll mostly remember him for the nightmare of the rebrand

Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:42 pm

Tan needs to sell up.

Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:19 pm

Top post Jonny, :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:53 pm

Great post and totally agree our first promotion and League cup final was not down to Tan even though he thinks it was him it was Malky he did us proud a good manager and the potential of being a good manager but Tan was jealous and got rid of him and then went out to destroy Malky, that showed what a big headed vile man he is, this was shown again later by hurting this club by this continued heart breaking court case after case losing every case costing our club I am certain regarding the sad case of Sala, we all know there was some poor decision that lead to this poor boy losing his life , but any other decent owner would have dealt with this much better.

Tan, I believe he hates us but wants his money back at all costs he hated that we supported Malky he had to change from the red he hates we dont salute him he is a clear dictator. Dalman Choo and Tan please leave let someone else buy the club
please I have had enough I am 58 and it was always fun to support Cardiff even when we lost we would be gutted but have a pint and move on to the next game but I feel my heart is being ripped out by a bunch over very rich no bugger all liars running our club.

Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:43 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Top post Lee :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I believe Tan either reads or has someone to monitor this board. If so, then he needs to know he has to shoulder most of the blame for our failures. Tan has lost face certainly in Cardiff, is a fun figure in the football world. IT WILL NOT CHANGE. It appears his choices include ( and I'm sure he has lots of other choices);

1. Sell now for what he can or risk selling for far less over the coming years
2. Stay on, invest properly, get to the PL and sell for what he wants
3. Keeps things as they are, continue to want £200M (as is his prerogative) not sell, and continue to be a hated figure.

If I am not mistaken, around 12/18 months ago, was a deal was done with a certain person who was convinced they had control of the club again, only for Tan to change his mind? We all make wrong choices at times, but wouldnt it be nice to make the right choice Mr Tan... Collect a vast sum for the club, maybe not what you want, and be rid of Cardiff City FC. Its bettter to have 100% of a vast sum, than have nothing of sum tice as big.....

Oh, and I'll tell you what, if Mr Tan dosnt read this forum, I know of someone else who does, avidly...... and wants the best for the People of Cardiff and Wales.

Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:48 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Top post Jonny, :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I believe Tan either reads or has someone to monitor this board. If so, then he needs to know he has to shoulder most of the blame for our failures. Tan has lost face certainly in Cardiff, is a fun figure in the football world. IT WILL NOT CHANGE. It appears his choices include ( and I'm sure he has lots of other choices);

3. Keeps things as they are, continue to want £200M (as is his prerogative) not sell, and continue to be a hated figure.

If I am not mistaken, around 12/18 months ago, was a deal was done with a certain person who was convinced they had control of the club again, only for Tan to change his mind? We all make wrong choices at times, but wouldnt it be nice to make the right choice Mr Tan... Collect a vast sum for the club, maybe not what you want, and be rid of Cardiff City FC. Its bettter to have 100% of a vast sum, than have nothing of sum tice as big.....

Oh, and I'll tell you what, if Mr Tan dosnt read this forum, I know of someone else who does, avidly...... and wants the best for the People of Cardiff and Wales.

Jonny we all (or most ) want tan gone but having who you sugest will only cause continuing disharmony amongst us fans as we are not all fans of him including me.....new regime new broom is required

Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Jonny we all (or most ) want tan gone but having who you sugest will only cause continuing disharmony amongst us fans as we are not all fans of him including me.....new regime new broom is required

Allan, I get that my preferred new owner splits opinion, and I do believe that ship may have sailed anyway. Its all opinions, and whereas I would class my preference as a 10/10, I know others would put him at a 0/10. Thats life I guess I do believe lessons have been learned however, and I know there was an admittance that things could have been done differently. My strong feeling is that there was, and still is an immense feeling for the club, and someone should tell Tan that this is a good place to start!

I have no problem with anyone saying that it would not be their choice. Someone new, with new ideas, drive and vigour would be more than welcome in my eyes.

Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:40 pm

100% agree

Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:52 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Barclay1 wrote:

Allan, I get that my preferred new owner splits opinion, and I do believe that ship may have sailed anyway. Its all opinions, and whereas I would class my preference as a 10/10, I know others would put him at a 0/10. Thats life I guess I do believe lessons have been learned however, and I know there was an admittance that things could have been done differently. My strong feeling is that there was, and still is an immense feeling for the club, and someone should tell Tan that this is a good place to start!

I have no problem with anyone saying that it would not be their choice. Someone new, with new ideas, drive and vigour would be more than welcome in my eyes.

Good response jonny.... whilst not my wish if it was to happen will accept without prejudice but wouldn't see me endorsing it either .... whilst tan should go needs to go my fear is we've seen so many bad take overs past seasons especially at championship level we will be going into the unknown and end up in roughly same place.... but its got go happen sooner than later.

Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:24 pm

Barclay1 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Top post Jonny, :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Jonny,

100% this forum is read by our club staff daily from the ticket office, club shop, secretary, CEO , Nash, Dalman etc
Plus if we talk about Tan and it’s as good as what you’ve written it’s emailed to him.

A fact

Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:00 pm

The problem is,

Tan wants promotion but doesn't know how to execute it.

He's got people around him that doesn't understand the world of football.

Dalman is just a liar, who treats the fans as idiot's.

Choo, what does he even do?? apart from selling cars.

The club is a total mess from top to bottom.

Look at all the managers we have appointed under this regime and see a pattern is forming.

Malky, TG's choice.
Ole, Dalmans choice.
Slade, Tans choice. (cheap option)
Trollope, Tans choice. (cheap option)
Warnock, Dalmans choice.
Harris,Tans choice. (recommended by Warnock)
McCarthy, Dalmans choice. (recommended by Warnock)
Morison, Tans choice. (cheap option)
Hudson, Tans choice. (cheap option)
Lamouchi, Dalmans choice.
Bulut, Dalmans choice but had to twist Tans arm.

It's all just reactivate than proactive and it will never change until they are gone.

Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:50 am

Whilst I want Tan gone, unfortunately and realistically this isnt going to happen anytime soon, and there is nothing we can do about it as fans either except wait it out.

However if we accept he is here then we have to look at what else is effecting the club, and in my opinion its both Dalman and Choo, and I have been banging that drum for a while.

Ken Choo is the CEO, he is responsible for the direction of the club, how can you be a part time CEO of two multimillion business, knows nothing about football and his tenure proves that.

Dalman is a financier who has an interest in football, he is a spin doctor that will tell everyone what they want to hear, my concern with him is how much he has invested and therefore (in my opinion) holds the club to ransom in fear of letting him go.

Do we need a football person in both positions possibly not, but one of them needs to be, we also need a DOF and have done for a long time.

So no Tan in my opinion is going no where, and the more vocal we are about him going then the more i feel he will dig his heels in as that is his MO and cultural way.

But if we publicly and vocally turn on Dalman and Choo could that either force their or Tans hand and see them go, as that at least would see the start of the change that we need at this club.

Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:14 am

This is how I see it all.

We have 2 massive loans to pay. One belonging to Dalman. Take the loan interest payments and we see half of our FFP allowance taken up. Believe it or not the club is comfortable paying that interest. So Dalman must be comfortable just going along with everything as it is.

As far as ambition goes I would say all of us want to get to the Premier for our own reasons. Tan as he thinks he will get a better price for the club, Dalman because besides paying his interest on his loan the club will be able to pay him off, us fans because we love the club and want what is best for it.

So the Premier is the aim. Tan wants to do it on the cheap, Dalman only cares about his loan and does not want to risk that so I would say he is happy to go along with Tan here.

Summing up we need a miracle to break out of this dull situation we are in.

Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:21 am

Bakedalasker wrote:This is how I see it all.

We have 2 massive loans to pay. One belonging to Dalman. Take the loan interest payments and we see half of our FFP allowance taken up. Believe it or not the club is comfortable paying that interest. So Dalman must be comfortable just going along with everything as it is.

As far as ambition goes I would say all of us want to get to the Premier for our own reasons. Tan as he thinks he will get a better price for the club, Dalman because besides paying his interest on his loan the club will be able to pay him off, us fans because we love the club and want what is best for it.

So the Premier is the aim. Tan wants to do it on the cheap, Dalman only cares about his loan and does not want to risk that so I would say he is happy to go along with Tan here.

Summing up we need a miracle to break out of this dull situation we are in.

This is bacically how I see the club being run, just like running a car on an "almost empty tank", and just topping up with a little bit of cheap supermarket fuel every now and again, just to stay out of the red until the next alert sounds.

As for a miracle, they don't come around very often. The last time we had one was when Neil Warnock was appointed....